cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VM cardreader not working

andy02q
Level 7
Hello all,

I can't get the cardreader on my Asus GL502VM to work and maybe you can help.
First thing I did when I got the Notebook was format the hdd and try to install Win7 which kinda worked (after patching the .iso and retrying) and kinda did not (because none of the drivers available on the download page are compatible with Win7) so I switched back to Win10.
I then installed all drivers from https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-GL502VM/HelpDesk_Download/ and so far had no problems with that.
But the cardreader does not give any sign of life.
I tried multiple SD cards that work on other devices.
I reinstalled CardReader_Genesys_Win10_64_VER45061001 and retried without success.
The card reader I think should show up in the Device Manage under USB Controller and under Disk Drives, but I can't find it under either category. (Could be under USB Controllers with a generic name; Disk Drives exactly lists the hdd and the ssd.)
I checked the connection between the SD card and the reader multiple time and seems fine. (Although it doesn't "click" into place, but it won't ever, as there is just no spring mechanism.
If I insert an SD-card into the SD slot, then in the device manager a new unknown device apperas under Other devices that wasn't there before.
If I try to update the drivers of that device, then Windows tells me: "Driver is not intended for this platform."
If I point windows to the actual driver, then windows tries to install the driver, but then cancels that and tells me the same thing.
Please help me for I need the card reader.
5 REPLIES 5

Robotec
Level 7
the same thing happens to me with gl502vs and i haven't found how to fix it, i tried the asus drivers, windows driver update etc without success.

Update:

I tried to use Linux Mint to use the cardreader, but that didn't work either.

hitardo
Level 7
I had the same problem with the latest drivers.
Try reverting to older drivers, and stop Windows from updating it.

Can you tell me which drivers you used?
Yet older drivers?
The Asus driver page only lists this single cardreader driver:
"Card Reader
Version V4.5.0.6.1001 2015/09/2410.8 MBytes

Genesys Multi-Card Reader Driver"
Which I assume does not work because it was made for Windows 7 but I can't use them because about everything else does not work on Windows 7.

Wellll actually I got it now.
Neither the Asus site, nor the Genesys-site: http://www.genesyslogic.com/en/product_list.php?1st=1&2nd=7
had working drivers that I could find.
But: Googling for Genesys Multi-Card Reader Driver brought me here: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/CARD-READERS/Genesys/ where I found just 2 month old "Genesys Logic USB3.0 Card Reader Driver 4.5.2.0 for Windows 10 Anniversary Update 64-bit" drivers which I could download.

Not to end here. After downloading I extracted the contained drivers and tried to install them via Device Manager - which failed. Then I removed the 128GB SDCX card and inserted a 32 SDHC card which could be recognized as sth with missing drivers and only then to that sth with missing drivers I could install the drivers I got from softpedia and now both SD cards (including the SDXC one) work.

That's pretty pathetic support from Asus in my opinion.

Edit: Bonus: After the genesys site finally loads it gives me a download link to some of their cardreaders of which I don't know which one is the right one
... a download link to the pdf-manual!
... and I'm not even allowed to download that pdf:
"Forbidden You don't have permission to access /en/systemg/downloads.php on this server." (403)

fazerorg
Level 7
Guys, I've had the same problem over and over again, without any solution. As of 12 Feb 2020 I can say, update your drivers for card reader, they do work now. Just thought it can help people.