cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M3A78-cm Bad ram ? Bad mother board? computer nightmare!

Retired
Not applicable
i was having a problem with my computer.

Hanging on boot up.
Not displaying an image on boot up.

Not coming out of sleep mode.

When it first started to not dispaly an image on boot up everything would work GPU/Hard drive/psu fans etc. But just no display on boot up.

I had recently installed a new processor so i thought it may have been the culprit. I was unable to get the computer to start and I swaped out processor with the older one. It boot up fine. Then swapped back out with the newer one. Then it boot up fine...

1-2 months later...
Same scenerio , swapped out processors and reswapped them, and worked with complete boot up and image.

I decided maybe it was a mother board or bios issue. I reset the bios jumper RTC clear pins.

Computer began to have the problem again of not booting up or displaying an image dispite all signs of activity from the other hardware components.
THis time swapping processors did not work so i determined it was not an issue with the processor , but the mother board itself.

Decided it was time to rma the mother board , but to my surprise the 3 year warranty was limited to 1 year parts and laber 2 years tech support. -_-
Not a happy camper to say the least.
Anyhow i proceeded to trouble shoot it further because I did not want to go and buy a new mother board and the pain of having to install it.
So, i began by swapping out gpu's still no display image on boot up. Plugged the monitor into the on board graphics.. and removed 3 sticks of ram .. finally a boot up.
Now , was not sure if the gpu slot was dead or damaged.. Found out that was not the case when it booted up with the gpu.

etc etc.. I ran several tests of swapping this and that out. I will just get to the end of this long day of computer headache nightmare...

Anyhow, I found that when this one stick of ram was in the computer it would not boot up at all. But would boot up without it in there, I also tested the different slots to make sure it was not a problem with the slots.

Only seemed to have this problem with one stick of ram. After several tests of swapping in and out and power on and off.

I hope this has resolved the issue, but I am not sure. Does this sound like a bad ram issue, or just a possible coincidence?
1 REPLY 1

xeromist
Seems likely a bad stick of RAM. You did thorough testing so the only other thing that you can do is leave the stick out for a while and see if you have any further problems. Or if you know someone else who has a compatible motherboard then maybe you could try using the stick in their machine to see what happens.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…