cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought an asus rog swift pg278qr 27" monitor. Using with amd 295x2, stuck at 24Hz

H3lix
Level 7
Recently bought an asus rog swift pg279qr monitor which I'm using with an amd 295x2 video card connected through a dp to mini dp (because the 295x2 doesn't have any regular dp ports for whatever reason).

I'm stuck at 24Hz however.

Creating a custom resolution in the control panel does nothing , and also setting it to 144Hz is not possible (says the monitor doesn't support that setting). I've also tried 60Hz and 75Hz and while I can save the profiles I can't apply the changes.

Halp.
12 REPLIES 12

JustinThyme
Level 13
Have you installed the drivers for the monitor?
Whats the clock set at on the OSD menu for the monitor?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Have you installed the drivers for the monitor?
Whats the clock set at on the OSD menu for the monitor?

Excuse my ignorance, but what drivers? I thought the monitor was UPnP? The only software I got with the monitor was the on cd, but the only drivers on there are nvidia.

The OSD Timeout is 30.

The AMD drivers I have are fairly up to date. (waiting for the 1080 ti to come in the mail).

just the reference, http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_1195_700_1104&item_id=103395

Edit: apparently the pg279 has whql drivers, but not the pg278? Doesn't seem to make sense.

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG278QR/HelpDesk_Download/

Scroll down to max v-sync rate at max resolution. 24, so it sounds like no matter whatever the maximum resolution is it will max out at 24Hz WITH V-SYNC that is, Once you get your nvidia card your going to be in heaven!

https://www.cnet.com/products/msi-r9-295x2-8gd5-graphics-card-2-gpus-radeon-r9-295x2-8-gb/specs/

CODE MAXIMUS wrote:
Scroll down to max v-sync rate at max resolution. 24, so it sounds like no matter whatever the maximum resolution is it will max out at 24Hz WITH V-SYNC that is, Once you get your nvidia card your going to be in heaven!

https://www.cnet.com/products/msi-r9-295x2-8gd5-graphics-card-2-gpus-radeon-r9-295x2-8-gb/specs/

Vsync on or off I get 24Hz. Just sitting at the desktop screen I'm getting 24Hz 😉 I'll tinker with it some more tho. I'm coming to the conclusion that it might be the card and not the monitor, although the 1080 ti will be the deciding factor.

It's really odd, because the 295x2 is by no means a bad card.

JustinThyme
Level 13
I have a PG279 and a PG348, they both have whql drivers. Ran without as UPNP but I always install drivers anyhow, cant remember not having a monitor without them.

Does the OSD not have any settings for the clock? If that is not set correctly it will cause problems.
Guessing your card doesnt have HDMI either, that defaults at 60Hz

Cable shouldnt matter between mini or full. I sometime plug my G752VY laptop up and it works just fine.

Im guessing at this point its in the monitor settings.

Issue should be gone with 1080Ti, Im running two in SLI at 100Hz which is max for the P^348 but they also run 144Hz just fine on the PG279.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
I have a PG279 and a PG348, they both have whql drivers. Ran without as UPNP but I always install drivers anyhow, cant remember not having a monitor without them.

Does the OSD not have any settings for the clock? If that is not set correctly it will cause problems.
Guessing your card doesnt have HDMI either, that defaults at 60Hz

Cable shouldnt matter between mini or full. I sometime plug my G752VY laptop up and it works just fine.

Im guessing at this point its in the monitor settings.

Issue should be gone with 1080Ti, Im running two in SLI at 100Hz which is max for the P^348 but they also run 144Hz just fine on the PG279.

It gives me an option to increase or decrease OSD.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Do you have another monitor to test the 295X2 on? What were you using before?

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Do you have another monitor to test the 295X2 on? What were you using before?

It works fine on my overlord tempest and my plain jane asus V278 monitor; that monitor is running at a refresh rate of 60Hz and I'm running it parallel with the rog.

Using the DP-to-mini gives me 1440p@24Hz, and using an HDMI-to-MiniDP locked me at 1080p@60Hz. Not sure what the deal is here.

The PG278QR is running in "Racing Mode".

Windows identifies the monitor as a Generic UPnP Monitor, since there are no whql for this model version I'm not sure what to do besides wait and see what happens with the 1080 ti.

Might try disabling crossfire, although I doubt that will do anything.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
H3lix wrote:
It works fine on my overlord tempest and my plain jane asus V278 monitor; that monitor is running at a refresh rate of 60Hz and I'm running it parallel with the rog.

Using the DP-to-mini gives me 1440p@24Hz, and using an HDMI-to-MiniDP locked me at 1080p@60Hz. Not sure what the deal is here.

The PG278QR is running in "Racing Mode".

Windows identifies the monitor as a Generic UPnP Monitor, since there are no whql for this model version I'm not sure what to do besides wait and see what happens with the 1080 ti.

Might try disabling crossfire, although I doubt that will do anything.

Just in case, can you try a different cable? There are cables which can't handle 2K@144Hz/165Hz. Quite often, the wrong cable is the problem. Your DVI port for example needs a dual-link cable if you want anything higher than 1080p@60Hz.