cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the G501VW-BSI7N25 have a Samsung 960 Evo ssd installed? - Yes (Updated)

justicious
Level 7
I saw one previous post on here stating the G501VW can have the new type of SSD (NVME in the M.2 slot). I just wanted to be sure that my model (which came with no ssd) still has the same motherboard as the other G501VW and therefore capable of running this SSD at full speed. I have contacted ASUS support and they would not give me an answer because "they cannot advise me on modifications." The Samsung support guys needed to know if I have the slot...

Specifications:
https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G501VW/specifications/

The specification says PCIE x4 does that mean it can run this drive?

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-EVO-Internal-MZ-V6E250BW/dp/B01LYFKX41/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=151...

Also, if it does fit where would I get the screw to install it?
5 REPLIES 5

haihane
Level 13
that's understandable on asus' part.

liability avoidance?
what maybe going on in the ASUS support guy's head: (if you're going to mod it, do it at your own risk. i work for asus and i'll get into trouble for teaching you how).

and because the above is likely true, any advice you get in here (should it prove possible) would have its disclaimer attached. anything you do to that laptop, even through the advice of others, is solely your own to blame if it borks.

with the above said, if i don't deliver something... i kind of feel like a bad guy. 😕

so, here's an idea: google or youtube search your laptop model teardown.
did it for you, found two videos on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=G501VW+teardown

exact string didn't return anything. i'm thinking, if i were you, i'd improvise the search strings and look for the ones similar enough, then compare it with my own laptop guts' layout.

(it was at this point... i'm tempted to ask and go look through the entire video to see the M.2 dimensions)
quick tip: these numbers... 2240, 2280, correspond to the m.2 drive dimensions. 2240 = 22 mm wide, 40 mm long. 2280 = 22mm wide... 80mm long. get it?

if the dimensions (sizes) fit, i don't see a reason why you can't just take the old one out, and slot the new one in.
think of it like playing LEGO for adults. switch stuff around, power it on, see if it works, repeat.

disclaimer: don't come looking for me if your laptop blows (unlikely, but please don't look for me. there's a reason even asus support dude won't want to tell you how)
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

haihane
Level 13
it's not supposed to be hard... damn it. i'm getting cold feet.

if it was my own laptop, i'd operate it to hell and back. if it blows.. well... it's kind of my fault but i can afford the fault to satiate my curiosity.
(cue some mafia don lighting a 100 dollar bill to light his cig just because he can image here)

i'd advise you to have similar mentality like above if one wants to operate on own laptop.
if you can't... i'll delete my post. pretend you didn't see it.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/asus-rog-g501vw-review-gtx-960m-i7/

This site says it is compatible so I think I am going to take buy it and hope that when I undo the bolts that it is there. There are also some new egg reviews that say so. I was just hoping a user with my same laptop that had done the upgrade might chime in.

Just wanted to chime in that I did end up installing the Samsung 960 evo (250gb) and everything is working fine. I was able to migrate the operating system to the SSD through Samsung's cloning software and then I wiped my HDD. The HDD is still installed so I have extra space if I need it. I now have a much better laptop as I also installed 8gb of ram adding to a new total of 16gb. Hopefully if someone finds this thread they find it useful unlike the lying ASUS support people and lack of information on the web besides the one site listed earlier.
Peace out
J$

justicious wrote:
Just wanted to chime in that I did end up installing the Samsung 960 evo (250gb) and everything is working fine. I was able to migrate the operating system to the SSD through Samsung's cloning software and then I wiped my HDD. The HDD is still installed so I have extra space if I need it. I now have a much better laptop as I also installed 8gb of ram adding to a new total of 16gb. Hopefully if someone finds this thread they find it useful unlike the lying ASUS support people and lack of information on the web besides the one site listed earlier.
Peace out
J$

Cheers mate !