cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-Monitor Support on Strix GTX1080-A8G-Gaming

MarkJohnson
Level 9
I have three 4k monitors and surround won't enable.

The issue seems Asus broke the reference design of three display port and reduced it to only 2 DP. So now the HDMI monitor keeps dropping to 30HZ mode and screwing everything up.

I have 1 x G-Sync, and 2x FreeSync

1x Acer XB280HK
2x Samsung U28E590

If I plug in the HDMI by itself, it works fine at 60Hz. As soon as I plug in one of the Display Ports, the HDMI drops to 30Hz. Then I can only get the Samsungs in a 2x1 surround mode at 30Hz. If I plug in all three, then it won't let me make surround at all, and said that not all three monitors have a common refresh rate?

I had it working just fine with my GTX 960 and three display ports without issues whatsoever.

Is this a know issue with HMDI 2.0 for nvidia?

Is there a workaround for this?

Do I need to return this card for a card that has 3xDP ports?
8 REPLIES 8

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Sorry to say but it is probably best to get 3 X DP. You'll need it for triple-display setups with G-SYNC, and multi-GPU for multi-display.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Sorry to say but it is probably best to get 3 X DP. You'll need it for triple-display setups with G-SYNC, and multi-GPU for multi-display.

I already did. Just not sure why this card decided to change from the standard 3x DP, x1 HDMI port.

Sadly it'll cost me $120 from free games I activated. I guess they weren't free after all. lol

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Sorry to hear that, the purpose of dual-HDMI output is to satisfy those with both an HDMI-only monitor and a VR-headset.

I have the STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING and I have managed to have 3 xf270hu(a) connected to the 2 hdmi and dvi (with an dvi->hdmi cable) running 7680*1440@144hz...

the dvi port when used with an hdmi adapter cable seems to be allowed to output hdmi 2.0 and is seen as such when in surround mode...

Technoidse wrote:
I have the STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING and I have managed to have 3 xf270hu(a) connected to the 2 hdmi and dvi (with an dvi->hdmi cable) running 7680*1440@144hz...

the dvi port when used with an hdmi adapter cable seems to be allowed to output hdmi 2.0 and is seen as such when in surround mode...

So you're using one HDMI 2.0 cable, one Dual-DVI cable, and one HDMI --> DVI cable?

From your monitor specs, it indicates that the highest refresh rate possible is 60Hz via DVI.

Generally, it's best to use DisplayPort, that's the only way G-Sync and FreeSync will work.

Out of curiosity, what HDMI to DVI cable are you using?

One the card side 2x hdmi ports used and the DVI port.

Both the HDMI cables and the "Single DVI --> HDMI" plugs into the HDMI 2.0 ports of all 3 Monitors.

The DVI to hdmi cable is a generic china cable https://www.deltaco.se/produkter/deltaco/kablar-adaptrar/hdmi/1-3-hdmi-dvi-d/HDMI-112

I guess that since the DVI connector on the cable is only single and it ends in an HDMI, the card sees it as an HDMI connection.

That combination allows for surround @ 144hz.. (or 120 or 60 but who wants to game at 60hz if you can get 144hz?)

2 DP + 1 HDMI (or 2 HDMI and 1 DP) only allows for 60hz....

Technoidse wrote:
One the card side 2x hdmi ports used and the DVI port.

Both the HDMI cables and the "Single DVI --> HDMI" plugs into the HDMI 2.0 ports of all 3 Monitors.

The DVI to hdmi cable is a generic china cable https://www.deltaco.se/produkter/deltaco/kablar-adaptrar/hdmi/1-3-hdmi-dvi-d/HDMI-112

I guess that since the DVI connector on the cable is only single and it ends in an HDMI, the card sees it as an HDMI connection.

That combination allows for surround @ 144hz.. (or 120 or 60 but who wants to game at 60hz if you can get 144hz?)

2 DP + 1 HDMI (or 2 HDMI and 1 DP) only allows for 60hz....

Have you verified the refresh rate on each of the 3 monitors?
Your cable spec states a max of 1080p at 60Hz...
Theoretically, through the DVI output you can get 2K, but at 30Hz with a single-link. Even with a dual-link, you can still only reach 60Hz at this resolution.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Have you verified the refresh rate on each of the 3 monitors?
Your cable spec states a max of 1080p at 60Hz...
Theoretically, through the DVI output you can get 2K, but at 30Hz with a single-link. Even with a dual-link, you can still only reach 60Hz at this resolution.

The cable spec says that its tested 100% compliant to 1080p, which mean that Deltaco tested it at 1080p @ 60hz and make no promises for any other res or freq.

The monitor in question, says thats its receiving 144hz. (same as the other monitor)

https://www.testufo.com/ displays 144 fps without any noticeable tearing.

I only claim the anecdotal "it works for me".