Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

I'd try hci memtest. If asus multicore enhance is enabled, disable it. You may want to try one memory module at a time also.

ROG Member Array Khronos PC Specs
    Khronos PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)MSI GS70 Stealth Pro-096
    MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus X Hero (WI-FI AC)
    Processori7 8700k (3.7Ghz-4.7Ghz Stock)
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) F4-3000C15D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 TI 11G Extreme (Added EKWB EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Aorus - Nickel W/ Backplate)
    Sound CardSMSL M6 DAC/Amp w/optical
    MonitorASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q, 2x QNIX QX2710 LED EVOLUTION II
    Storage #1250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS), 500GB WD Blue M.2 Sata Drive (Games)
    Storage #22x 2TB WD Green (Storage)
    CPU CoolerEK-Supremacy MX w/ EK COOLSTREAM SE 360 and EK-CoolStream PE 360
    CaseFractal Define S
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova G2 850W Gold PSU
    Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red (old Keyboard)
    Mouse Logitech G900
    Headset AKG 7xx W/ Massdrop Minimic
    Mouse Pad HyperX Fury Pro Gaming Mouse Pad - XL
    Headset/Speakers HiFiMAN HE-350, CREATIVE T3150W WIRELESS BLUETOOTH 2.1 SPEAKER (BLACK)
    OS Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750

so today i changed all the PSU cables to the original and it crashed 2 times both times i was testing it in starcitizen first crash was 14m after launch and the second 7m after launching the game both actually had a crash report but i could not see it since it sent it directly to the game company. At the moment i changed the PSU and put the ram at stock settings without XMP profile, i was a bit worried being this other PSU does not have 2 different VGA connnectors and instead only has 1 cable with 2x 6+2 pins. I also disabled all monitoring software during the previous testing. once i test this PSU and if it fails i will disassemble my loop and try my 980ti that is not watercooled. If that does not work my last action might be to RMA everything and hope for the best... Im worried for the availability of the i7 8700k since its been sold out everywhere and i had to wait like a month just to get mine. i did run a DXDiag which i will upload here just in case it can help solve this problem however it said it found nothing wrong.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

*edit* Im running HCI Memtest now with all RAM installed and if that does not pass i will run it with 1 stick at a time in each slot to make sure the RAM slot on the Motherboard is not bad. will take a bit since i have 4 DIMMS and 4 Slots. 16 tests in total.
    Last edited by Khronos; 12-01-2017 at 11:40 PM.

Khronos PC Specs
    Graphics Card #1Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 TI 11G Extreme (Added EKWB EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Aorus - Nickel W/ Backplate)
    CaseFractal Define S
    Mouse Logitech G900
    Headset/Speakers HiFiMAN HE-350, CREATIVE T3150W WIRELESS BLUETOOTH 2.1 SPEAKER (BLACK)

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    I'd try hci memtest. If asus multicore enhance is enabled, disable it. You may want to try one memory module at a time also.
    How long do i let it test? i know the program said to wait for it to hit 100% or 400% for the most rare errors and unless im reading the small coverage % at the bottom of the program ive ran 6 different RAM test at the same time and split up the total available RAM per the softwares request and they are all at 30,718% coverage with 0 errors across all 6. i guess now i will test each one individually.

*update*

after changing PSU's ive sat in Star Citizen 1h 30m so far that ive seen no crashes so far (leaving soon to a party so we shall see how it goes) GPU usage remains at 42% which seems a bit low for starcitizen at max settings Temp: 35C Core auto boosted to 2038 and the power usage is at 75/100%

*update 2* came back from the party and the game was still running. could it have been my PSU? if it is thats strange since it was running my old computer just fine with the 980ti,

*update 3* I find it strange that everything seems to be working. Could a faulty power supply cause memory errors and BSOD? seems unlikely but i guess im wrong,
    Last edited by Khronos; 12-02-2017 at 06:10 AM.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array mdzcpa PC Specs
    mdzcpa PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero XI
    Processor9900k @ 5.1Ghz All Core 1.315v AVX -2
    Memory (part number)Gskill GTZ 4133 C17 32GB (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 2080 TI OC
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB for OS & APPS
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB for GAMES
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 1000W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Wide Desk Mat
    OS WIN 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys VELOP
    Accessory #1 ROG 751JY Laptop for Moobile Gaming
    Accessory #2 Koolance EXC-800 Chiller
    Accessory #3 25+ years of overclocking

I was thinking PSU or PSU cable issues from reading your first post. So, yes, looks like your PSU is not up to the task. A marginal PSU will cause all sorts of instabilities.

Khronos PC Specs
    CaseFractal Define S
    Mouse Logitech G900

Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa View Post
    I was thinking PSU or PSU cable issues from reading your first post. So, yes, looks like your PSU is not up to the task. A marginal PSU will cause all sorts of instabilities.
    Im lucky that my PSU comes with a 10 year Warranty and EVGA does a good job with that, so far it seems like i will have to ship it to them and from my initial findings UPS wanted to charge me like $80 to get it to California. ill go into USPS and look at their flat rate shipping boxes, the PSU weighs 6 lbs according to the website but im sure that includes all the cables and box itself.

P.S. ill keep everyone posted once i get the new PSU, although i might just upgrade to the new model the Supernova 850w G3 which is just smaller in size but everything else is the same (spec wise)

ROG Guru: White Belt Array SherardG PC Specs
    SherardG PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS ROG G752 & ASUS ROG G55VW
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-8700K
    Memory (part number)32 GB [G.Skill TZRGB] F4-3200C32Q-8GTZR x 4
    Graphics Card #1ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    MonitorASUS ROG PG248Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 PRO MZ-V6P512 (512 GB)
    Storage #2WD2003FZEX
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CaseNZXT Noctis 450 ROG
    Power SupplySeasonic PRIME 80+ Ti 750 SSR-750TD
    Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
    Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
    Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2 Black
    Mouse Pad Logitech G440
    OS Windows 10 10.0.16299
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC88U

Hi Khronos,

I just noticed that your memory sticks (please clarify if I'm wrong!) 2 kits of 8x2 GB each? Basically, you bought 2 boxes of 2x8GB RAM kits?

I did some extensive research here, and even jumped over to the G.Skill boards and spoke to their reps there as well as via email and they confirmed that 2 different kits even of the same model # & chips do not play well with each other with XMP and you should use custom timings to run them at their rated speed; even then, only 40% of the time would it work. Could you try running them without XMP enabled just at the default clock rate before sending in your PSU for RMA?

Khronos PC Specs
    CaseFractal Define S
    Mouse Logitech G900

I ended up finding out it was the RAM sticks that were the issue, once I removed one of the sticks it ended up being stable with the xmp profile. I'm waiting on the new RMA Ram (sent the 2 sticks back) so I can test again. I'm glad though that my system is in fact working just fine as of now. My new psu arrives on the 19th and I can go back to my nice modular psu and white bitfenix psu cables.

I had already done the RMA for the PSU and the RAM before I read your post SherardG but you are correct in saying it was 2 different kits of 8Gb sticks. Only reason I bought another kit was because it was on sale. Might just return the new RMA sticks and avoid any issues. I just wanted the 4 dimm slots to be filled for RGB purposes and not because I needed 32Gb of RAM to play games.

Ps I've been working a lot recently and haven't been able to update. 7days straight 12 hours each day tires people out.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array no1yak PC Specs
    no1yak PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero X I Wi-Fi/ Hero IX
    Processori9 9900KF/ i7 7700K both @ 4.9Ghz
    Memory (part number)Gskill F4-3200C16D / Corsair 2400 LPX
    Graphics Card #1Evga GTX 1070 SC ACX3 / Evga 1060 SC
    Sound CardEssence One DAC Muses edition
    MonitorEizo CG275W/ Dell U2719D
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe / 950 Pro
    Storage #2Samsung EVO 950 Pro M.2 + 850 Pro 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair 150i pro/Noctua NHu-14S
    CaseCorsair 500D/ Corsair 450D
    Power SupplyEvga 650 P2 /Corsair HX750
    Keyboard Cherry MX6
    Mouse Corsair M65
    Headset/Speakers Corsair SP2500 + Senn HD650 + HD 600
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 1909

Quote Originally Posted by SherardG View Post
    Hi Khronos,

I just noticed that your memory sticks (please clarify if I'm wrong!) 2 kits of 8x2 GB each? Basically, you bought 2 boxes of 2x8GB RAM kits?

I did some extensive research here, and even jumped over to the G.Skill boards and spoke to their reps there as well as via email and they confirmed that 2 different kits even of the same model # & chips do not play well with each other with XMP and you should use custom timings to run them at their rated speed; even then, only 40% of the time would it work. Could you try running them without XMP enabled just at the default clock rate before sending in your PSU for RMA?
    Not always the case, my 2 sets of 8x2 Gskill 3200 ran fine in my Hero IX and now they are in the Hero X. Both MB's run this memory under XMP with no problems at all.

Yes I know it's a gamble but, it can work(if your lucky). If I had a problem l then I would have split the memory to my Hero IX and sold the 2400 Corsair. Unfortunately It doesn't help the OP.
    Last edited by no1yak; 12-13-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Khronos PC Specs
    CaseFractal Define S
    Mouse Logitech G900

I've done this a few times with previous DDR3 memory in my previous computers and it's always worked XMP included. Now, I do know it's always different which is why, now that I know my computer works for sure I will test with the new kit and see of I have the same problems I had before. If I do I will return the RAM and and stuck with 16Gb which is 100% fine for playing games and some streaming.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array SherardG PC Specs
    SherardG PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS ROG G752 & ASUS ROG G55VW
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-8700K
    Memory (part number)32 GB [G.Skill TZRGB] F4-3200C32Q-8GTZR x 4
    Graphics Card #1ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    MonitorASUS ROG PG248Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 PRO MZ-V6P512 (512 GB)
    Storage #2WD2003FZEX
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CaseNZXT Noctis 450 ROG
    Power SupplySeasonic PRIME 80+ Ti 750 SSR-750TD
    Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
    Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
    Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2 Black
    Mouse Pad Logitech G440
    OS Windows 10 10.0.16299
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC88U

Quote Originally Posted by no1yak View Post
    Not always the case, my 2 sets of 8x2 Gskill 3200 ran fine in my Hero IX and now they are in the Hero X. Both MB's run this memory under XMP with no problems at all.

Yes I know it's a gamble but, it can work(if your lucky). If I had a problem l then I would have split the memory to my Hero IX and sold the 2400 Corsair. Unfortunately It doesn't help the OP.
    I would agree with you, due to the fact that I'm running 2 kits of 8x2 G.Skill at 3200 as well. Although a lot of people from this board and even the G.Skill TechRep strongly advised against doing so;

Bottom line is, it doesn't matter if the chips are the same, if they were manufactured on the same date and are of the exact same batch, the only guarantee that they will work is if you buy kits that are actually tested and rated for the speed and timings you plan to run them on.

In my case, I had no choice since I ordered and paid for 2 kits of 8x2 GB without knowing about this issue, but one kit was delayed which allowed me time to do research, ask people, and perform my homework as to what I can do (as like OP, I used to do this back in the day, when the standard was just DDR) - where I come from, RMA is unheard of, and it's the same with cash refunds (you can only replace with items in stock of the same value; yeap, they do not protect consumers here) - what I have done was to force the shop that I pre-paid the incoming kits for to provide me with kit serial #'s of which I checked on G.Skill website until I found a pair that was manufactured on the same exact date as the sticks I was running - then I emailed the tech reps to verify the chips used on the card (they were Hynix, same as mine; I had to contact G.Skill directly because if the shop did the test themselves, they'd have to open up the DRAMs, slot them in, then check , basically making the item "good as sold" and I would be royally screwed over if they happened to be Micron or Samsung lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Khronos View Post
    I ended up finding out it was the RAM sticks that were the issue, once I removed one of the sticks it ended up being stable with the xmp profile. I'm waiting on the new RMA Ram (sent the 2 sticks back) so I can test again. I'm glad though that my system is in fact working just fine as of now. My new psu arrives on the 19th and I can go back to my nice modular psu and white bitfenix psu cables.

I had already done the RMA for the PSU and the RAM before I read your post SherardG but you are correct in saying it was 2 different kits of 8Gb sticks. Only reason I bought another kit was because it was on sale. Might just return the new RMA sticks and avoid any issues. I just wanted the 4 dimm slots to be filled for RGB purposes and not because I needed 32Gb of RAM to play games.

Ps I've been working a lot recently and haven't been able to update. 7days straight 12 hours each day tires people out.
    Glad to know you got your issue sorted out! And yes, I do clock 90 hours a week but I definitely spend Saturdays and Sundays for sleeping in and family time

Quote Originally Posted by Khronos View Post
    I've done this a few times with previous DDR3 memory in my previous computers and it's always worked XMP included. Now, I do know it's always different which is why, now that I know my computer works for sure I will test with the new kit and see of I have the same problems I had before. If I do I will return the RAM and and stuck with 16Gb which is 100% fine for playing games and some streaming.
    I would like to share to you the options that G.Skill provided me, as it might help you;
    1. It's best if you get 8x4GB sticks rated and tested for the speed you would like them to run on
    2. If this is not possible, you can try your new sticks on an XMP profile
    3. Alternatively, you can try and ask your purchase point to provide you with sticks manufactured on the same date, or do as I did with the serials and confirm with G.Skill tech support before shipping; if they can provide you with at least a series of SN's for chips that they may ship you, you could use this page [https://www.gskill.com/en/check] to verify the manufacturing date, most likely they are made with the same DRAM IC's as they are done by batch.

Otherwise, you can pray that the new DRAM sticks they send you would run seamlessly with each other.

Best of luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast