cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) Every Game Crashes.

Khronos
Level 7
Brand new built computer runs great but when I play games it crashes to desktop after like 10-60 minutes or so, changes each time. Drivers are up to date, I did turn off Asus's core enhancer or whatever it was called because it was pumping way more voltage than i needed... like upwards to 1.4+

Bios 0802
All Drivers from rog.asus.com

Specs: i7 8700k Stock till I figure this out (EKWB Supremacy MX Block)
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC)
32GB (4x8GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Model F4-3000C15D-16GTZR XMP CAS 15 at 3000Mhz
Aorus 1080ti Extreme (EKWB full cover block w/ Backplate)
EVGA SuperNova G2 850W Gold PSU
2x 360mm Radiators w/ Vardar Fans
EK-XRES 100 DDC MX 3.1 PWM with an upgraded 250mm Reservoir.
BitFenix ALCHEMY 2.0 PSU CABLE KIT for EVGA SuperNOVA T2/P2/G2/G3
250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD(OS)
500GB WD Blue M.2 Sata Drive (games)
2x 2TB WD Green 3.5in Mechanical Drives for video and spill over games

*I do want to add that even with this much radiator space my temps seem really high even after re-seating the CPU and better thermal paste... my GPU is cooling nicely never higher than 41c and stays around 2034Mhz core clock*
21 REPLIES 21

Hopeywolf
Level 7
Is there any error logs or driver crashes in event viewer when you check? Or does it just go straight to desktop without any indication at all?

Khronos
Level 7
Straight to desktop normally although just now it blue screened on me for the first time while playing starcitizen and gave me a stopcode of :PFN_LIST_Corrupt
I'm currently researching what this means atm.

*update* seems to mean the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted. Again looking into this further at the moment*

Khronos
Level 7
**Update 2**

Re-installed windows from scratch and installed all the drivers. Ran what seems like a full day of benchmarks between 3DMARK, PCMARK 8, Prime 95 and did not crash a single time except the last time I ran Prime core 0 crashed but the rest of the workers continued. After that I loaded up a game (DOOM max settings in 3440x1440 and sat still for a good 20m before running around for a bit and killing demons but crashed soon after. what i did notice was my CPU not (Stock settings minus ASUS Multi-Core Enhancer turned OFF) hitting 4.7Ghz in any of the tests and stayed around 4.5Ghz max and was not limited by temps or voltage since I left it on AUTO. Now, for the first time I did in fact get a crash message which I will Post the 2 pictures below.

https://imgur.com/2CRHD5B
https://imgur.com/Ulkdvp9

*one of the Stress Test Benchmarks*

https://www.3dmark.com/fsst/644584

It seems like its a potential Memory problem? My web browser (chrome) crashed while i was writing this the first time and would not let me refresh the page and had to do a full reset on the computer for it to load again. I was honestly hoping after a full battery of benchmarks with no crashes it would keep on going.... This is getting Frustrating and i'm sad I cant even use this computer for what I built it for...

daddyd302
Level 7
Have you tried other nvidia drivers? Maybe dial back on your gpu clocks? You mioght need to underclock it even to see if it's stable or not. This doesn't sound like it's motherboard, cpu or ram related. It seems the issues is with your video card/drivers. The only other thing I can think of is your 1080ti is not getting enough juice from the psu? Are you using one cable or 2 to hook your video card?

This is what i can find out about your crash data.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/c-visual-runtime-error-r6025-how-...
Main
**Intel 8700K @ 5Ghz**Asus Maximus 10 Wi-Fi ** EVGA 1080ti SC2 SLI**SoundblasterX AE-5**G. Skills Trident RGB 16G**Crucial MX300 1TB**Seagate Barracuda Pro 8TB**Thermaltake View 71**EVGA 1000 P2**Sony 900E**Corsair K95 RGB**Logitech G903**
Backup
**Intel 6850K @ 4.4Ghz**Asus Rampage V 10**Asus Strix 1080 SLI**Soundblaster Z**Corsair Vengeance LED 32G**Crucial Mx300 1TB**Seagate Barracuda 8TB**Corsair 570X**Corsair H100i**Corsair HX 1000i**Sony 800E**Corsair K70 RGB**Logitech G900**

Khronos
Level 7
I'm personally not even overclocking the GPU that's all Nvidias GPU BOOST based on temps, I guess ill manually set it to base clocks and revert to a previous Nvidia Driver (It was updated using GeForce Experience) as you suggest. As far as my 1080ti i have 2 separate 8 pin's coming directly from the PSU in VGA1 and VGA 2 ports though, one would think a 850w PSU would be enough for 1 card. After i post this i will read the link you added.

*Side Note* Can you even turn off GPU Boost?

daddyd302
Level 7
I"m not sure you can turn off boost. If you have MSI afterburner you can try to adjust the clock speed there. The latest drivers aren't always the best. The latest might work for me, but not for you and vice versa.

I mentioned the cable because I used to use 1 cable with 2 plugs for my 1080 and Overwatch would sometimes crash. Sometimes I can play for hours and nothing happens, other times it'll crash after 20 minutes. I'm using 2 cables since finding it that it was a bad idea to run with 1 cable and on crashes anymore.

The only way to know for sure if it's the gpu or the psu is to swap it out with a backup, but most people don't have backup laying around.
Main
**Intel 8700K @ 5Ghz**Asus Maximus 10 Wi-Fi ** EVGA 1080ti SC2 SLI**SoundblasterX AE-5**G. Skills Trident RGB 16G**Crucial MX300 1TB**Seagate Barracuda Pro 8TB**Thermaltake View 71**EVGA 1000 P2**Sony 900E**Corsair K95 RGB**Logitech G903**
Backup
**Intel 6850K @ 4.4Ghz**Asus Rampage V 10**Asus Strix 1080 SLI**Soundblaster Z**Corsair Vengeance LED 32G**Crucial Mx300 1TB**Seagate Barracuda 8TB**Corsair 570X**Corsair H100i**Corsair HX 1000i**Sony 800E**Corsair K70 RGB**Logitech G900**

Menthol
Level 14
Is your power supply a single 12v rail, if multiple rails make sure your GPU is on it's own rail.
What other software do you have installed, AISuite? Game first? Do you have an OSD running?
Try disabling all excess software including GF Experiance to see if it's a conflict of some kind. If your using GPU Tweak, disable it also until you get it diagnosed and corrected.

Raja
Level 13
PFN list errors are often memory instability related. Revert the system to stock memory frequency and check if it still occurs.

Khronos
Level 7
last night when i was trying to game again seeing if the previous attempts were successful in fixing my problem i got 3 new BSOD of different things which lead to some tests i did in the content below.
CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
and the last one i got was
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (what failed nvlddmkm.sys)

@Daddyd302 - yeah before in my previous builds i used to use a single cable for a 6 + 6 pin or a 8 +6 but after i had read and saw benchmarks of better performance using 2 separate cables but now that i use a modular PSU i have the option to use as many as id like (i.e 2 different 8 pins coming directly from the PSU). I do have the original cables that came with the PSU and so i will try with those when im not working my 12 hour shifts. i bought the bitfenix white cables for my build for aesthetics but they are the complete replacement and not extenders, just wanna point that out.
(https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812493209)
i did buy a lower wattage run for pump testing purposes so i will try that although the 650w kinda makes a tad nervous. I also do have my old 980ti classified from EVGA but since i was watercooling with hard tubing and the size difference of the classified card makes it hard to fit it in with my look. (i know i will have to disassemble my loop i just dont want to, you know >.<

@Menthos - if im not mistaken itsa single 12v rail in my EVGA 850w G2 gold rated PSU.i did have AI Suite installed, not sure about gamefirst and i do have OSD running from MSI afterburner to keep an eye on temps although none of the Asus software is running besides the Aura RGB software but that is recent before when all this started nothing was even installed besides base drivers from the Asus Website. i do use GeForce experience for my FPS gauge though. Roger on the disabling of the software i will try it tomorrow after i get some sleep (working 7pm to 7am).

@ Raja@ASUS - i have reverted to stock memory settings (w. XMP settings) and it still does the same thing, i also ran the most extensive Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool test you can with the settings of Extreme and 5 passes and i forgot what the last setting was but i think it had to do with the cache on each stick, i did turn that on to test. that test took like 8+ hours it was crazy i passed out and woke up waiting for my results and nothing came up ( in the Windows Memory Diagnostic thing it says it will restart and show your results but never did get a result once i logged in with my password, however after 4 passes out of 5 that i was awake to see it said no errors detected in the memory. I also ran a Check and possible Repair Windows System File using sfc /scannow command in the command promp and it came back with:

Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

and so now im kinda stumped on where to go now besides the advice given above, Also i want to say thank you for everyone who has pitched in so far! I appreciate all the help, thank you.