cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX501 to 144mz Monitor

calicoss
Level 7
New to the forum and a new owner of an ASUS built laptop. Have the GX501 and so far the experience has been solid minus a small deformation on the right side of the frame of the laptop around the USB port (a small bend I have no idea how it developed). Speakers were also jacked up until I did a driver update, that failed, but it seems to have remedied the problem regardless.

Anyway, I received the Dell S2716DG 27-inch G-SYNC monitor the other day. I've been using the Plugable branded USB-C to Displayport cable I purchased and frame rates have been all over the place. Is there a better quality cable to use? With the specs on the GX501, should this be expected?

Don't get me wrong, the 120Hz GX501 monitor is awesome and things have been running smooth but since hooking up the Dell, I can't find the same performance, or at least somewhat close. Should this be expected running at 144Hz. And this drop in performance can really be seen in the new Assassins Creed game I've been playing. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Hope someone has some input.

Thanks to all.
4 REPLIES 4

waltercool
Level 7
Well, I currently use my GX501 with a 144hz monitor using an USB-C to DP without problems.

I personally use it at 120hz to match my laptop monitor frequency. I have no problem with that on both Windows 10 and Linux.

waltercool wrote:
Well, I currently use my GX501 with a 144hz monitor using an USB-C to DP without problems.

I personally use it at 120hz to match my laptop monitor frequency. I have no problem with that on both Windows 10 and Linux.

Thanks Waltercool. I'm thinking the cable I purchased is faulty or of below average quality. Going to get a new plug and see how we do from there. Thanks for your experience.

i tried to work the gx501 with my benq screen at 120Hz.

So is it possible to connect the internal HDMI to get 120Hz or its only via USB-C to Displayport?

The only USB-C is normaly connected to my external drive, thats why the screen would be better on the hdmi port...

RebDo wrote:
i tried to work the gx501 with my benq screen at 120Hz.

So is it possible to connect the internal HDMI to get 120Hz or its only via USB-C to Displayport?

The only USB-C is normaly connected to my external drive, thats why the screen would be better on the hdmi port...

I don't' think you can do that, HDMI will only support 60hz at 1080p, but you can get 120hz at 1080i. Also, HDMI can get 4k using 24hz.

DisplayPort is better managing that.

https://www.144hzmonitors.com/knowledge-base/144hz-1080p-which-cable-do-i-need/