cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Core spiking on x299 Prime A, bios (0802)

guitardom
Level 7
After spending days trying to figure out why I was getting occasional and random performance problems and weird CPU issues, I finally stumbled upon that (virtual) core 2 (7900x) was basically sitting at almost 100% in the Resource Monitor. This was completely random. I might have to restart the machine 20 times to get it to happen.

I went through the normal troubleshooting, defaulting bios (0802), disabling turbo, tested ram, removed all the ram but 1 stick, swapped that single stick out between different sticks, temps are all legit when stress testing, etc. No Luck. I build 20-30 systems a year, so not new at this!

I ordered another motherboard and video card. removed all the other peripherals, except the hard drive. swapped everything out. I eventually got a repro. I got another CPU in (7820x this time), eventually got another repro. At this point everything has been swapped out but the case, PSU, and HD.

On a whim, I flashed the bios back to 0503. So far I have not been able to reproduce the problem. Other than the restarting-shutdown issues I had experienced previously on the 0503 bios, it seems to be running fine.

I have been looking around and have not seen any reports of this. I just seem to see reports of more random issues. Does anyone have any experience, weird, issues or information on this?

Intel 7900x/7820x
Asus Prime x299 A (2 of them)
Noctua NH D15
Nvidia 750GT (2 of them) (also tested an older 640)
Corsair DDR4 2400 4x8GB (C14)
Corsair RM 850x
Samsung 850 evo's
5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Were you not able to see which process was loading up the CPU? Given the nature of the issue, I think you may have gone overboard buying new components. In fact, I'm not sure why that was even your first instinct at this point.

Did you at the very least reinstall the OS from scratch?*
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Were you not able to see which process was loading up the CPU? Given the nature of the issue, I think you may have gone overboard buying new components. In fact, I'm not sure why that was even your first instinct at this point.

Did you at the very least reinstall the OS from scratch?*

There is no "process" loading up the CPU. The running processes and threads don't change whether it is spiked or not. Its just sitting as "stuck. The OS has been reinstalled twice.

But back to the point, I can not repro this on bios 0503

You can see the CPU cores in the Resource Monitor and I have the Processes open beside it in order of high to low. The processes are basically the same. The have the temps showing for pic with the spike on it to show the temp of that core.

normal:

spike:

Chino
Level 15
They need to be in JPEG format.

As for your problem, did you install any ASUS programs along with your Windows installation? Or maybe Intel's Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 program?

Chino wrote:
They need to be in JPEG format.

As for your problem, did you install any ASUS programs along with your Windows installation? Or maybe Intel's Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 program?

gotcha, uploader said png would work, so assumed it was maybe because I was new to the forum.

Have tried disabling Turbo as well as uninstalling the ITBMT driver. Been going 7 hours and still cant get a repro on 0503. I had it repro'd in under an hour when I went back to 0802 this afternoon.

I don't deal with any of the AISuite stuff. It causes to many problems with low latency programs. I create an image, install it and run the bios updater so I can change the boot splash screen and update the bios, then revert back to my image before I installed it.