cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i9 7900X OC - Issues with AVX

chrisk2305
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I would need some advice in overclocking my 7900X. I am using a Rampage VI Apex Mainboard and a massive custom loop for CPU und GPU. CPU is delidded as well.

I am using an offset of 0.025V and manage to get 4,8Ghz stable (XTU and Prime95 without AVX). But even with a negative AVX offset of 7 which results in 4,1Ghz under AVX Load the overclock is not stable (tested with linpack and Prime95 with AVX).

Can somebody give me advice how to get this thing stable with AVX Load?

Thanks in advance!
Chris
4 REPLIES 4

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
chrisk2305 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I would need some advice in overclocking my 7900X. I am using a Rampage VI Apex Mainboard and a massive custom loop for CPU und GPU. CPU is delidded as well.

I am using an offset of 0.025V and manage to get 4,8Ghz stable (XTU and Prime95 without AVX). But even with a negative AVX offset of 7 which results in 4,1Ghz under AVX Load the overclock is not stable (tested with linpack and Prime95 with AVX).

Can somebody give me advice how to get this thing stable with AVX Load?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

You're likely not supplying the CPU with enough voltage at the given AVX frequency. Remove the offset, and test for AVX stable clocks before evaluating non AVX load.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

chrisk2305
Level 7
the strange thing is that when there is avx load the voltage drops to about 1.17 instead of ~1.26V under full non avx load. Although the clock is lower under avx load I still thought that more voltage would be applied. To raise the voltage under avx load i would need to set a higher offset (that on the other hand is not needed und non avx load). LLC already at Level 6 because I was thinking that there is a massive vdroop under avx load (but I don't think thats the case).

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Before you go any further, what UEFI version are you on? Flash to the latest version and first test for AVX stability without the use of the offset function. LLC affects VCCIN on this platform. Some of the rules changed iirc.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

chrisk2305
Level 7
1004. will test avx stability asap