cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Devices Intel 300 Series Driver Date Listed 18/07/1968 ??

izzyreb02
Level 9
I dunno if anyone notice this, but when my Driver update tool detects that it needs an Driver Update, it tries to get Intel Series 200 instead and thats when I saw the Driver Date. (This is at System Devices section, It seems all Intel related things are like that.. Like PCI Express Root Port, Intel LPC Controller in Device Manager)

I'm currently on Windows 10 Professional x64 bit

I also notice that there isn't really a intel series 300 chipset drivers on intel website other than just a chipset driver package, that seems like the only thing needed for the Z370. Even tho, they are the only ones that have a Driver Date messed up.

I dunno if this has been brought up or not, but if it has. I do appoligize to bring it up again.
10 REPLIES 10

no1yak
Level 8
If you don't have any yellow exclamation marks in device manager then don't bother with the chipset inf. Windows will recognise your hardware and yes, the date in those devices are dated 1968 version 10.1.1.45 which windows installed by default.

no1yak wrote:
If you don't have any yellow exclamation marks in device manager then don't bother with the chipset inf. Windows will recognise your hardware and yes, the date in those devices are dated 1968 version 10.1.1.45 which windows installed by default.

That's not a very clever answer. I've just updated my MEI and Chipset drivers and now my driver date in all my pcie express root ports are dated 18-07-1968....this is absolutely wrong and NOT normal in anyway. So your answer is bull. The driver date should and must be correct no matter what. Think about it. in 1968 there were NO driver available at all ...and NO PC in the World. Intel must correct this error and stamp the drivers with the correct year. You can't just say this is normal and we should not bother. Intel made an error and must correct it...Period!

emsir wrote:
That's not a very clever answer. I've just updated my MEI and Chipset drivers and now my driver date in all my pcie express root ports are dated 18-07-1968....this is absolutely wrong and NOT normal in anyway. So your answer is bull. The driver date should and must be correct no matter what. Think about it. in 1968 there were NO driver available at all ...and NO PC in the World. Intel must correct this error and stamp the drivers with the correct year. You can't just say this is normal and we should not bother. Intel made an error and must correct it...Period!

Well, I suggest you take it up with Intel. And if you had bothered to google as why they are dated like that then you would be a lot wiser.

From Intel Quote.

“Intel(R) Chipset Device Software uses an unusual date for the devices it is targeting. The date 07/18/1968 is symbolic – Intel was founded that day. The reason this date is used is to lower the rank of Intel(R) Chipset Device Software.

This is necessary because it’s a supporting utility that should not overwrite any other drivers. Updating Intel(R) Chipset Device Software is not needed."

End Quote.

emsir wrote:
The driver date should and must be correct no matter what… Intel must correct this error and stamp the drivers with the correct year. Intel made an error and must correct it.

The most recent Intel driver updates that I installed on my home computer, driver version 10.1.1.42 for the system devices of my 100-Series Z170 chipset, have an internal date of 18-January-2017. But my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit operating system reads the date in the properties of the driver files as 01-January-1970, system-wide. So the original poster's comments matched something I've been familiar with, for almost a whole year.

(By the way, since you're already telling Intel what they must do, would you please tell them to write me a check for about US$100000 and I'd be very grateful? Thank you.)

emsir wrote:

Open install driver > click agree>click install> DO NOT CLICK INSTALL JUST READ DIRECTIONS THEN EXIT!>a Intel installation instructions appears READ IT. They purposely dated it 1968 so Windows wouldn't overwrite this driver.

no1yak wrote:

This is correct, unless you know for a fact that you need the Chipset software to overcome a missing device, they are completely unnecessary, and Intel dates them as such to attempt to prevent any issues.

JustinThyme
Level 13
The driver update tool is a POS. I tried it once and it wanted to roll back drivers to older version. Not 1968 but several versions than what Im running. Best bet is and always has been is to not use such auto update tools, even windows, and check periodcally with the vendor for driver updates and do it manually. There are not that many devices and I check every few months for most and every few weeks on the graphics.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
and check periodcally with the vendor for driver updates and do it manually.

I pretty well always install drivers manually using .inf method including this particular driver, and yet the date on the driver tab in device manager shows the same as the OP. I thought it must have been a typo in the inf file or the driver file itself, thinking the year should have read 18 as in 2018 not 68 as in 1968?

joseph_lai
Level 7
izzyreb02 wrote:
I dunno if anyone notice this, but when my Driver update tool detects that it needs an Driver Update, it tries to get Intel Series 200 instead and thats when I saw the Driver Date. (This is at System Devices section, It seems all Intel related things are like that.. Like PCI Express Root Port, Intel LPC Controller in Device Manager)

I'm currently on Windows 10 Professional x64 bit

I also notice that there isn't really a intel series 300 chipset drivers on intel website other than just a chipset driver package, that seems like the only thing needed for the Z370. Even tho, they are the only ones that have a Driver Date messed up.

I dunno if this has been brought up or not, but if it has. I do appoligize to bring it up again.

They did not check before release market... it is real 1968!!!!!! even in microsoft update catalog