cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap new mother board?

Retired
Not applicable
What is a decently cheap mother board to get. I probably want the ddr3 ram .

Probably spend around 200 dollars for 2x2GB stick of ram and MOBO, and eventually upgrade to 8gb of ram.

I have atm an asus mother board that is rather old and only compatible with ddr2 ram. I can't afford to buy all this and a new OS. Mother board and OS came from IBP. Should I be able to install the os i have with this mother board onto the new mother board with no problems?
3 REPLIES 3

Retired
Not applicable
also a side note. I have a 940 BE amd phenom II X4 3ghz processor. I will probably keep it in the mother board for some time until I decide to upgrade to a newer processor. MOther board must be compatible with this.

xeromist
If you change the motherboard then windows will deactivate itself and you will have to reactivate it. It probably won't work to do it online so you'll have to do it over the phone. Sometimes you can just use the automated system but just make sure to tell it that you've only ever had it on one computer. I told it that I had a family pack license on 3 computers (which is allowed) but it refused to activate me because it assumed I was violating the license. If you can't do it with the automated part then you can talk to a person and tell them that you had to change out an old motherboard. They've always been able to reactivate it for me.

As for AMD boards I'm not really sure so hopefully someone else can answer that part.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
i would wait until sandybridge comes out. its right around the corner, and will be blazing fast for your money.