cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rampage v extreme usb 2.0

romax
Level 7
aloha!

im using a rampage v extreme motherboard with a rme audiointerface that only connects with usb 2.0.
i can't seem to find out which are the usb 2.0 sockets, all the blue one's on the back (of my pc) are usb 3.0 as far as i know.
there are also 2 rog or roq sockets, is that usb 2.0?

then i have 4 usb sockets on the top of my desktop, 2 blue and 2 black, that should 2x usb 3.0 and 2x usb 2.0.
but so far no matter which usb slot i use my audio interface keep acting up.

anybody has an idea on how to test or solve this? im not a pc wizz no 😉

audiointerface: RME FIREFACE UFX ll ( https://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/fireface_ufx_2.php )

windows 10 64 bit
Intel Haswell-E 6-Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 15M/LGA2011-v3
Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1 X99 (DDR4) (LGA 2011-v3)
HyperX Savage 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2400 HX424C14SBK2/32
1TB SATA III SSD
PHANTOM 410 ENTHUSIAST MIDI TOWER CASE - BLACK/ORANGE
4 REPLIES 4

Chino is right in that the two black USB ports on the top of the case are USB2.0, and the two blue ones are USB3.0. These ports have internal cables attached to them which you need to plug into the appropriate headers on the motherboard. For the R5E the USB2.0 headers are on the bottom right edge as shown in this image from the manual:
there is one labeled USB1314 and the other one is labeled USB1112. The latter is not available if you attach the ROG_EXT cable to the OC Panel or Front Base. That takes care of the black USB2.0 ports on the case. For the blue USB3.0 ports on the case, you can plug their cable into either USB3_34 on the bottom edge, or into USB3_12 on the right edge just below the 24-pin power connector as shown in this image 69348 .
Often a USB2.0 device will work on a USB3.0 port, but at the lower speed. If it still doesn't work, in the UEFI BIOS setting "USB Configuration", see that "EHCI Legacy Support" is set at its default value of "Enabled", or at "Auto" to get support for USB 2.0 devices. I hope this is all you need, good luck.

romax
Level 7
thanks a lot! it all works great now..

Fantastico ! I have found the R5E USB3.0 mobo headers to be a little loose at least with my USB3.0 case cables. Once I had to reseat the cables to get them to work. Like we have all this time to tinker.