cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dolby Digital Live?

OrionBG
Level 7
Hey guys,

Does the C6H Sound chip support Dolby Digital Live?
If not, is there a way to install some addon software to enable it? (I know about the hacked Realtek drivers but those are creating more issues than they are solving)
11 REPLIES 11

unknownmiscrean
Level 8
Dolby live/ DTS are both proprietary codecs. Companies have to pay licensing fees to implement them on products. The C6H does support the codecs at the hardware level, but it has been disabled in drivers. Theres a newer 'hacked' driver file that combines a driver for the same chip (from Microsoft I think) which supports dolby / DTS and the asus software package posted by the user 'Lord Chunks', however this may also make more problems.

Bottom line is if you want a reliable way to use dolby / dts encoding, you need a dedicated sound card that supports it. (I wouldn't recommend creative cards.)

Yep.

Either try this: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?97490-Why-5-1-not-working&p=686975&viewfull=1#post686975
Which Iam using myself with 0 problems to this day, but its not digitally signed driver so be sure to read instructions.

Or this as mentioned, from Lord Chunks: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?97602-Crosshair-Vi-Hero-DTS-amp-Dolby-Aduio-Driver-Fixed
But I didnt try that one yet.

Neoony wrote:
Yep.

Either try this: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?97490-Why-5-1-not-working&p=686975&viewfull=1#post686975
Which Iam using myself with 0 problems to this day, but its not digitally signed driver so be sure to read instructions.

Or this as mentioned, from Lord Chunks: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?97602-Crosshair-Vi-Hero-DTS-amp-Dolby-Aduio-Driver-Fixed
But I didnt try that one yet.

I am going to give this a go, i have the creative SB Xfi and dolby digital encoding and DTS does work however randomly the sound will drop out then you need to turn the encounter off then back on to work again. After research it seems to be a common issue under Windows 10, apparently Windows 7 and 8 it was fine. Well i have had enough now so will try this on my CH6. It's not like Sound drivers need to be updated frequently like graphics drivers but the tools i had saw last year anyway wehn i got the CH6 was you had to sign the drivers and i couldn't get it to work properly so gave up and gone with the Xfi since that supported DD and DTS but the drop outs are very annoying so with this link i will give the OB Realtek another shot.

unknownmiscreant wrote:
Dolby live/ DTS are both proprietary codecs. Companies have to pay licensing fees to implement them on products. The C6H does support the codecs at the hardware level, but it has been disabled in drivers. Theres a newer 'hacked' driver file that combines a driver for the same chip (from Microsoft I think) which supports dolby / DTS and the asus software package posted by the user 'Lord Chunks', however this may also make more problems.

Bottom line is if you want a reliable way to use dolby / dts encoding, you need a dedicated sound card that supports it. (I wouldn't recommend creative cards.)

To be fair I'm so angry with my Sound Blaster Z that I'm ready to pay the f***ing licensing fee just that I have a properly working DDL.
After looking here and there I finally made a hacked driver myself and for the time being it work OK. The only issue is that Realtek never sounds like Creative (when working correctly) I'm just addicted to the sound that Creative sound cards produce... but after haveng so many problems with them over the years I'm beginning to thing that all the issues are just not worth it...
It would have been nice on ASUS'es side if they payed the stupid licenses and given their highest end ROG motherboards at least DDL but...
At least give us an option for something like a DLC or an addon. A driver with official support and some software enhancements like Sound Blaster X-Fi MB for instance for some price...

unknownmiscrean
Level 8
Yeah, true true. There's alot of things wrong with this board.

As for the creative cards, there's a special patch that needs to be installed separately to sort out compatibility with Asus motherboards. The user jbasemione had some issues with this earlier this year.

Good on you for hacking your own drivers. I never trust those who do that sort of thing and provide it for free.

unknownmiscrean
Level 8

As for the creative cards, there's a special patch that needs to be installed separately to sort out compatibility with Asus motherboards. The user jbasemione had some issues with this earlier this year.

Good on you for hacking your own drivers. I never trust those who do that sort of thing and provide it for free.

unknownmiscreant wrote:

Thanks a Million!

I found the thread in question and after reading and checking some other links, I found a new unreleased (probably BETA) Creative driver and after its installation, everything works normal... for now...
Driver: http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=742124
BTW the registry file from jbasemione's thread did not seem to work for me and this is why I continued to dig around till I struck gold 🙂

Oh and BTW there is nothing that makes you appreciate Creative's sound quality more than using an integrated Realtek s**t for a couple of days! The difference is night and day. When I switched from the SB Z to the Creative, it was worse but it was bearable, and after a while you are getting used to it. But the moment I put the SB Z back....!!!!! Oh my...
I'm using a SONY 5.1 Soundbar system over the Optical connection.

unknownmiscrean
Level 8
Can't remember exactly what happened in that thread. It wouldn't surprise me if the registry tweak failed. I do remember the issues were only resolved by the unreleased/hidden/beta drivers. Glad you've got it sorted either way.

I nearly bought a SB Z myself a while ago, but decided to go for an Asus card instead, as creative drivers seem to suck to big one. Not sure if its been any better though, my drivers crash every time a plug in a USB device. Although I think that may be down some USB sniffing software I have installed for reverse engineering a UPS.

The onboard audio is ok, a damn sight better than my oneplus 3. But definitely worse than a sound card. The mic input on my strix soar is an entire universe better than the onboard jacks.

Also whilst a good idea, I'm not entirely sure how well a 'DLC addon' for DTS/Dolby would go down. Intel got slammed for the raid keys for X299, and I don't see how this would be much different. Oh well, thats just my $0.02.