cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions please for RGB fans

IainM
Level 7
My case is a Corsair 740 Air. I have a 140mm fan at the rear, two 140mm fans in the roof, none on the bottom of the case but I want to put two 140s there. I have three 120mm fans on my TT Water 3 Ultimate 360mm radiator.

Can you suggest RGB fans for my rig? I'd like them to be ASUS AURA compatible if possible.

I also want to add an LED strip.

Mobo is ROG Strix Z370F. GPU is ROG Strix GTX1080TiOC The RAM is not RGB. I will upgrade to RGB RAM next year.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

GEEKCPA
Level 8
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3398956/rgb-fans-working-asus-aura.html
More about rgb fans working asus aura. Best answer. Atomic_Subwave Apr 27, 2017, 9:07 PM. The Aura Sync page on Asus's website has a list of compatible hardware. https://www.asus.com/campaign/aura/us/Sync.html. If you scroll towards the bottom you will find fans that are compatible with Aura.

KeksimusMaximus
Level 8
Beside whats on the list, NZXT AER fans got recently "exposed" to use WS2812B LEDs so after tiny cable modification they can be controlled from Z370 motherboards Addressable LED headers. Phanteks HALO also use standard 5050 12V LEDs so after cable modification they can be controlled from one of onboard headers.
Dargus Maximus
~Explorer ~Engineer ~Guide
My Youtube channel - PC modding, streaming, gaming

That Xigmatek 120mm fan as listed is available here. If I bought three of them and used them to replace the fans on my TT Water 3.0 360 rad how would I connect them to the mobo? Should I use the three-way adapter cable that came with the radiator? All three fans are connected via one cable to the CPU_FAN header. Would that cable provide AURA Sync signals to the new fans from the same CPU_FAN header? Would I need to buy a different cable from somewhere?

That's the problem with living in a backwater like Turkey. I cannot find what I want in the shops, and PayPal is banned here so buying abroad is difficult.

IainM wrote:
That Xigmatek 120mm fan as listed is available here. If I bought three of them and used them to replace the fans on my TT Water 3.0 360 rad how would I connect them to the mobo? Should I use the three-way adapter cable that came with the radiator? All three fans are connected via one cable to the CPU_FAN header. Would that cable provide AURA Sync signals to the new fans from the same CPU_FAN header? Would I need to buy a different cable from somewhere?

That's the problem with living in a backwater like Turkey. I cannot find what I want in the shops, and PayPal is banned here so buying abroad is difficult.

each fan will come with two separate cables, one regular 3 or 4 pin fan cable (12V, gnd, sense + optional control) and separate cable for RGB. If its aura compatible then the additional cable will be 4-pin RGB12V cable.

The three way adapter cable will be good for connecting fans together so they operate at the same speed but for Aura sync you will need a separate adapter.
Dargus Maximus

I see. I had thought that the mobo's RGB headers were for strips only and that the lights on RGB fans would be governed by the mobo's fan headers. Looks like I'm going to need a lot of adaptors as my Strix Z370F mobo only has two headers.

Another question. Can any addressable RGB fans be used? For example Corsair's HD120s.

As an alternative to AURA, if I buy all Corsair or all TT Riing fans, do their hubs allow me to run both 120mm and 140mm from the same hub or will I need separate hubs to run my 120 and 140 fans? Like I said, my case has 3x120s for the radiator and up to 5x140s for case fans.

IainM wrote:
...Another question. Can any addressable RGB fans be used? For example Corsair's HD120s...

Addressable LED headers are only for WS2812B addressable LEDs (officially) and they might work with WS2813 and doubtfully they will work with WS2811.

Now wheter a specific RGB addressable fan will work or not, depends what LED's are inside. It is known that NZXT AER fans use WS2812B so they can be connected to Aura without HUE+. For corsair HD120, this post http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=165029 claims they also use WS2812 LEDs so they might be Aura compatible and the Corsair commander or whatever could be ditched.

IainM wrote:
...As an alternative to AURA, if I buy all Corsair or all TT Riing fans, do their hubs allow me to run both 120mm and 140mm from the same hub or will I need separate hubs to run my 120 and 140 fans? Like I said, my case has 3x120s for the radiator and up to 5x140s for case fans...

No matter if the fan is 120mm or 140mm, they work from the same hub as they are always 12V | GND | TACH | pwm (optional) fans with either 3 or 4 pins (pwm).
Dargus Maximus

Thanks for that. Very good to know.

How about this: Three CM Masterfan Pro 120s for my radiator linked together by CM's three-to-one splitter cable and plugged into one of the mobo's RGB headers....

I'll use the three-to-one adaptor from my TT Water 3.0 rad to connect all three fans to the CPU_FAN header.

And five CM Masterfan Pro 140s plus an RGB strip all connected to the Silverstone eight-port LSB01, which is then connected to the mobo's other RGB header.

I'll need more splitter cables maybe to connect all the 140s to the relevant CHA_FAN headers. Now, where to get them...?

Would that work?