cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bios 701 new bug ? i am tired of this DONT BUY THIS BOARD

masterac
Level 8
hie to all,

it seem my computer is slowly failing, i was planing to format all to be sure, went into the bios and discovered a new bug :

freaking sub menu take FOREVERRRRRRRRR to load, i filmed it just in case i need to prove it, but the sliding effect was so slow i was like "what the " then i saw at the slowest speed possible the windows sliding from the right.

also scrolling is now reverse, going down will scroll up, and vice versa, the only way to fix this is to click the scrolling bar, doing so will able scrolling with mouse the correct way.

also also now i got a code 92 on the oled screen, thats suppose to be for the graphic card asking me to load the bios of the vga....but it was still on has i finish login into windows.

and just now the computer just shutdown while it was still showing me the logon page

now.... everything is watercooled, using 3 radiator and all, the gpu is around 30 degree celcius, and cpu never go above 50 even when encoding, so its not heat related, and i don't know where its coming from, pump is working fine too.

my whole week i had issue, can't even go to steam to install a game without the computer freezing for 5 minute, unable to go to task panel, then it try to cope with the gap and open everything i clicked on for the last few minutes ( by the way the game was space engineer, and the freeze happen when trying to install an instruction package)

its like some stuff keep take forever to do, and i don't know here the issue is coming from, i am runing a legit win 10 x64 and its so slow, could the board affect the rest of the component making them slower ?

i tried to read a UHD video from my 960 pro, connected to the m.2 port, and its was glitching every few minute for 2-5 second, the file itself is only 46 giga, i tried to read a bigger file around 120 giga, and it was impossible, audio and video are so much out of sync and video is glitching

i was using vlc, so i tried another player, intalled media player classique and K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1365_Mega, trying to load the fil into media player classic will take around 20 second, again its also on the 960 pro, and it can read fine using this method, but i still don't get why its so slow.

this is a monsterboard, and huge processing power here, i am not using an old laptop from the 1990

now every file that doesnt requiere lot of process, normal HD file of around 30 giga...no issue there, even from a slower RED hard drive, so why a file on something that has a speed of around 2500 m / s can't read it ? why a processor of 16 core can't decode it ? why 64 giga of ram isn't enough to store a preview long enought to not have this lag effect ?

my build is around 8 000 euro of component, i don't like to brag but anyone using that kind of equipment should be beyond those issue, because otherwise what is the purpose of upgrading to top of the line if i have the same issue that my old pc from 2012 that cost mabe around 2000.

i am runing the 701 bios on the board, i am going to reflash it just in case, then i will format C again and start to do only benchmark without anything else install.

i would like to know if other people have the same component that i do or are close to it, i know almost everyone is having the same issue with the m.2 SSD, but now i want to know more concerning the rest of the component.

here is my build

cpu : 1950x
ram : 64 gskill ddr4 3600mhz ( runing at 2100 mhz)
ssd : 960 pro 2 tb on m.2 port (runing at x4 from bios)
gpu : 1080 ti aorus WB ( the one with the waterblock build into it)
psu : ax1500i

power in at idle is around 50 watts, used power is around 30 watts
runing a CMD script of mining make the PSU jump to read 400w
6 REPLIES 6

Wobbler
Level 7
using the 0801 bios and sometimes the bios has been SLOW (lags behind) until reboot, and sometimes it takes a while for the measurement data to show up... but it seems to be "random".

Hopefully you didn't install the latest firmware for 960 pro, also try to set your memory to the tested XMP settings using "tCR = 2".

Wobbler wrote:
using the 0801 bios and sometimes the bios has been SLOW (lags behind) until reboot, and sometimes it takes a while for the measurement data to show up... but it seems to be "random".

Hopefully you didn't install the latest firmware for 960 pro, also try to set your memory to the tested XMP settings using "tCR = 2".

No latest driver is install, i would like to know the speed of the ssd for people that are like me stuck at x4.

Playing with xmp doesnt do anygood if i remember i cant start the computer with it.

Could you be more specific on what i should try ?

i had to contact gskill to have them give me some manual frequency to try to run the ram at 2900, but i had some issue in memtest, when i had a unknow shut down, i just came back to normal setting, but i think its because i didnt change the voltage, it was still at 1.35, i was thinking going 1.37 should try again pushing voltage a little further maybe.

Also didnt overclock my cpu yet, so maybe i could start there, forcing it can maybe resolve all, but the amd soft is telling me all my core are working, so could it be a bios issue botleneck the whole setup? I should be flying with that kind of setup, otherwise i am feeling like a fool with a 52 kg computer next to it.

pasty2k2
Level 7
Try bios 0804 or 0007.

I noticed I had some strange slowdown issues like you are both describing. As soon as I upgraded to 0007 and started playing with OC settings these issues have now gone away.

So either for me it was a bios update or some OC setting I turned on/off - one that comes to mind which was sending my voltages all over the place, is the setting underneath where you set the memory frequency, its something like "multicore enhancement" or equivalent - set it to disabled if it isn't already.

One other thing I changed was Secure Boot settings trying to get RAID working, I've ended up with Compatibility Support Module set to disabled entirely, and the secure boot set to Windows UEFI mode. The resolution of the ROG logo at bootup then changed to be all fancy, and windows install also ran at 4K or something mad. Been smooth as butter since.

BIOS link & description for convenience (copied from Elmor @ Overclock.net):
Beta BIOS 0804 https://www.mediafire.com/file/hurdeb58o4mtjq2/ROG-ZENITH-EXTREME-ASUS-0804.zip

* AGESA 1.0.0.3
* Hynix 2DPC patch (POST issues with all slots populated)
* Fan control fixes, including EXT_FAN card
* PCIEX8/X4_4 lane switching tested and works fine @capitaltpt, however I haven't verified the issue on older BIOS

pasty2k2 wrote:
Try bios 0804 or 0007.

I noticed I had some strange slowdown issues like you are both describing. As soon as I upgraded to 0007 and started playing with OC settings these issues have now gone away.

So either for me it was a bios update or some OC setting I turned on/off - one that comes to mind which was sending my voltages all over the place, is the setting underneath where you set the memory frequency, its something like "multicore enhancement" or equivalent - set it to disabled if it isn't already.

One other thing I changed was Secure Boot settings trying to get RAID working, I've ended up with Compatibility Support Module set to disabled entirely, and the secure boot set to Windows UEFI mode. The resolution of the ROG logo at bootup then changed to be all fancy, and windows install also ran at 4K or something mad. Been smooth as butter since.

BIOS link & description for convenience (copied from Elmor @ Overclock.net):
Beta BIOS 0804 https://www.mediafire.com/file/hurdeb58o4mtjq2/ROG-ZENITH-EXTREME-ASUS-0804.zip

* AGESA 1.0.0.3
* Hynix 2DPC patch (POST issues with all slots populated)
* Fan control fixes, including EXT_FAN card
* PCIEX8/X4_4 lane switching tested and works fine @capitaltpt, however I haven't verified the issue on older BIOS

Can you tell me more about the secure boot thing ? I could check that too, because yes i feel the logo resolution is really odd considering its 2017 and i am using a 1440p screen

Take a look here to see how I setup my memory timings. I am no expert at overclocking, if I can do it, you should be able to do it too 😄

masterac wrote:
Can you tell me more about the secure boot thing ? I could check that too, because yes i feel the logo resolution is really odd considering its 2017 and i am using a 1440p screen

Fairly sure the improved resolution is because you are running in pure UEFI mode (disable Compatibility Support Module entirely) rather than anything to do with Secure Boot. UEFI was implemented this side of the millennium so actually understands higher resolutions than 640x480. I expect it also requires that you use a display connection type that allows the monitor to report its native res to the display adapter. I use DisplayPort for this rig, and tested HDMI on my older rig and it worked.

It does make booting up a bit smoother, fewer janky screen flashes as you boot up. Unless (I think) you run SLI, which I do, which has to enable, and causes a small pause.

But the main thing is it looks shinier.