cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenbook UX430UN BIOS versions and thermal limiting

fischju
Level 7

Let me preface this by saying I also submitted it as a service ticket, and the only response I got was a copied and pasted instruction on how to use WinFLASH.

If there is a better place to post this where it'll get seen, I'd be happy to do so.

As you can see, there is a version control issue with the BIOS. I have an older, but higher version number BIOS than the newest available through WinFLASH and the support website.

Additionally, a BIOS update to increase the 74C thermal limiting is desperately needed. The Lenovo 720S, with the same size and chipsets, performs significantly better than the UX430UN due to it's higher thermal limiting. I am considering returning it in favor of the Lenovo unless this simple fix is implemented. There's really no reason for it, it's making my GPU clocks jump all over the place and causing stuttering, even on a cooling pad.
5 REPLIES 5

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
The new BIOS is expected to be released in the end of December. Please wait for a second.
Sorry for the trouble.

DaKooga
Level 7
I have the same device (but bios 203) and the same issue (throttle at 73/74c) so looking forward to a firmware/bios update

Massive stuttering for 10 seconds every 30 seconds or so... happens when the GPU hits a very low 73c.

~Kooga

JustinThyme
Level 13
Old news, keep your shirt on.

If you wish to return to older BIOS......

First launch CMD at admin, if you dont know how then please do not mess with the BIOS either....

Navigate to where you have Winflash installed, default is cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash
Next, enter Winflash /nodate and then select your desired bios file, ignore the warning about it being an older version and press Flash.

^^^^^^You can C&P the above in red directly into the CMD promp window^^^^^^^

Done, enjoy your older BIOS. Never understood the logic. I get the warning just so you are aware but to lock it out and make folks jump through hoops when 99% of the time folks are going back because the BIOS released was not ready and caused more problems than offering fixes.

Im also with you on its gets old with submitting tickets, whoever picks it up after several days looks for key words then replies with C&P responses. Its not because they cant read, its beause they have no idea of what is going on and is a low paid data entry clerk that has been trained to do exactly that. Look for keywords, then auto reply. You NEVER get anyone with a technical background on the first try and often it takes MONTHS to get to someone who can help. Right here is your best bet.

Now some constructive criticism for you
If you think a Lenovo is better, please just go return your product as you evidnetly alreadt have a Lenovo.
The lenovo you referenced is not the apples for apples.
Having been forced to run Lenovos for work I beg to differ.
Consumers such as yourself drive this market trying to pack 10 lbs of sheet in a 5 lb bag and causing it to bust at the seams.
The words Powerful and ultralite, ultra slim or ultra portable shoule never be used in the same sentence.
My opnion on the best for this task? MS surface pro IV.....Dont get the 3,2 or 1 as guess what, Took M$ 4 tries to get it where it would not throttle and would not burn you trying to use it!!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Probably the bigger issue is the thermal limiting..

~Koog

Kjetil95
Level 7
I am thinking of buying this laptop. Have the new bios been released? Did it fix the throttling?
Asus G74sx

Core i7 2630qm, GTX 560M 3GB, 120GB SSD, Intel 6230 wifi, 8gb 1600mhz.