cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI Extreme VROC question to ASUS Customer Support

D0G2001
Level 7
Just got off a chat with ASUS Customer Service, in an attempt to clarify operation of the VROC aspects of the Rampage VI Extreme motherboard.
Didn't get any answers, and worse than that, the "Customer Support" person was very rude.
Here's what happened, see what you think (D is me, K is CS):

[To ensure the satisfaction of your experience and improve upon the quality of service we provide, ASUS would like to collect your phone number, mobile phone number, and email address in order to contact you once your service has been completed.

K:Hello!

K: Please give me a moment while I review your inquiry.

😧 Hello Kemar

K: Hello Dennis.

K: Thank you for contacting ASUS, my name is Kemar H. how may I assist you today?

😧 I have 2 questions, both relate to the Intel Virtual Raid on CPU (VROC) aspects of my new Rampage VI Extreme motherboard.

😧 The first question relates to the DIMM.2 riser card. Section 3.6.8 describes the bandwidth as coming from the CPU. Does this mean that both DIMM.2 slots can be used as VROC?
By "slots" I am referring to both positions on the DIMM.2 card.

😧 I am using a 7960X CPU.

K: Just to confirm you would like to know if both your DIMM.2 slots can be used as VROC is that correct?

😧 Yes, more precisely I would like to know if one, both, or neither one can be used as VROC.

K: I am sorry to hear that you’re having this issue. I will be more than happy to assist you.

😧 OK

K: This is a bit of a tricky query and I would need to have the query passed to our Technical Team to confirm. Would that be okay?

😧 Sure. I would appreciate that.

😧 The second part of my question relates to the VROC HW Key described on 1.1.9 par 21.
Are these available for sale, and if so where. Apparently it is required for the VROC to function.

K: OEMs and/or system integrators usually install the hardware key in their servers, as long as end users request a server with a complete Intel VROC solution. OEMs and/or system integrators obtain the keys from Intel or Intel’s distributors.

😧 OK, ASUS is the OEM, so how do I purchase this key?

K: It is built into your unit as an Internal I/O port Dennis: 1 x VROC_HW_Key
It would not need to be purchased separately.

😧 In the User Manual Section 1.1.9, paragragh 21, it states "The KEY module is purchased separately.".

K: If you review page 10 of your manual you would see that your unit comes with 1 x 4 pin VROC Key.
Section xi.

😧 This describes the "Internal I/O connectors" on the mother board. The "Key" connects to the 4 pin connector. It is not included.

K: Sorry you mean the module.

😧 Yes

K: Unfortunately I am not seeing a reseller for the key module I am afraid.

😧 That is unfortunate.

K: I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

😧 It's actually more than an inconvenience, as this renders a significant performance aspect and hardware component that has been paid for as useless.

K: My sincerest apologies I do wish I was able to advise further.
Did you have any other questions for me today?

😧 How can you help me purchase such a key? Is there someone who can at ASUS?

K: You could try to reach out to Intel to try and have the key purchase information provided.
You could also contact resellers to see if they have the key available.

😧 I already did. They said it was up to the OEM to purchase the keys from them, and then resell to retail customers.

K: ASUS would not be a reseller therefore ASUS would not have the key to sell in such a manner.

😧 Can a reseller purchase such a key from ASUS (the manufacturer)?

K: Please see my last message Dennis.

😧 The question was, can a reseller purchase the keys from ASUS?

K: No Dennis as ASUS would not have the keys overall.

Agent left the chat.]

I realize Kemar was frustrated by his lack of knowledge of the system (obviously lack of training or study),
but I don't think that justifies the rudeness...or am I out of line here?:confused:
90 REPLIES 90

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
I don't think he was rude, he answered your questions. Although the abrupt exit was uncalled for.

He's not wrong, either.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024550/memory-and-storage.html

Where can I get an Intel VROC hardware key?

OEMs and/or system integrators obtain the keys from Intel or Intel’s distributors.

There is a lot of conflicting information out there, sadly - including from some of Intel's own reps. I would reach out to Intel for more information if you have not done so already.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

double post
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

FireRx
Level 11
Dog2001,
Did you see this article too? seems intel fubared this one.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3234669/storage/intel-says-vroc-raid-isnt-dead-its-just-trapped-in-a...

in your situation it seems you will have to buy the intel drives to get the bundled item ie Vroc key.
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

You can set one of the DIMM.2 slots to either the PCH or the CPU. The setting is somewhere in the BIOS.

:rolleyes:
Quozzo wrote:
You can set one of the DIMM.2 slots to either the PCH or the CPU. The setting is somewhere in the BIOS.

dude, that not even what this convo is about, it about the VROC Key and it's availability. LOL!
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

FireRx wrote:
:rolleyes:

dude, that not even what this convo is about, it about the VROC Key and it's availability. LOL!

D0G2001 wrote:
😧 The first question relates to the DIMM.2 riser card. Section 3.6.8 describes the bandwidth as coming from the CPU. Does this mean that both DIMM.2 slots can be used as VROC?
By "slots" I am referring to both positions on the DIMM.2 card.
😧 Yes, more precisely I would like to know if one, both, or neither one can be used as VROC.

You do know what VROC is right?

I should clarify and also specify that the other side is set to the CPU regardless of BIOS settings.

haihane
Level 13
i agree with silent scone, he wasn't rude.

he may not have been very helpful like how you wanted him to be, but he maintained professionalism throughout. it's rude (of you) to imply he was rude because you didn't get the answer(s) you wanted.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

FireRx
Level 11
yeah, he trying to get a "KEY" specifically for his motherboard which you have to purchase separately. ( it doesn't come with the this mobo) Looks like he and others are meeting resistance from intel to sell the key alone.
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

He is trying to ascertain weather the DIMM.2 slots can be used for VROC.

He also specifies there is a second part of the question. The key.