cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow WiFi on mobile devices

Chango_Chaos
Level 7
I just picked this router up the other day and have it working. It works very well on my TV, Nvidia Shield TV, and computers. The problem I have is with my all three cell phones in the house. I had the AC-3100 before and the speeds were getting 110Mbps but with the GT-AC5300 router all our phones only get max 59.5Mbps. Is this a problem or is this something that the router lowers the speed of mobile devices?

My phones are 2 androids (Nexus 6p and Lg G5) and 1 iPhone.
8 REPLIES 8

Chango_Chaos
Level 7
I forget to mention that my link speed is 866Mbps on the Nexus phone.

Seems like a bug on the GT-AC5300 I have the same issue.
Amongst other issues with the router as well.
Hopefully it will be addressed in the next firmware update but,
That may not happen yet as they are still trying to get a fix from broadcom for KRACK.
So in till that happens we are not going to see any Firmware Updates.. (suppose to be top priority).

Fixing the Router Problems should be top priority!
As I have been think of trading this for a RT-AC5300 or the RT-AC86U..

Chango_Chaos
Level 7
I reset the router, downloaded and pushed the firmware again and all seems working fine now.

Chango_Chaos wrote:
I reset the router, downloaded and pushed the firmware again and all seems working fine now.

That's great to hear. So everything was okay after a firmware update?

Bill
Level 7
Hello Chango_Chaos
Thank you for your feedback. We you tell me which firmware version are you on now?
Does the issue appear afterwards?

Thank you
Hello LdGallifreyan
Which firmware are you on?
Have you tried updating to the latest firmware?
Thank you

Bill@ASUS wrote:
Hello Chango_Chaos
Thank you for your feedback. We you tell me which firmware version are you on now?
Does the issue appear afterwards?

Thank you
Hello LdGallifreyan
Which firmware are you on?
Have you tried updating to the latest firmware?
Thank you

I am on the latest:

But also the channels won't change to a less Quieter Channels.. for all three bands.
I thought it sniffs out the loudest bands and changes to quieter ones
. Like the RT-AC3200 one did.
And some of my devices are not picking up the other bands.. for some weird reason.

This router is rubbish. I have had it replaced by Amazon for free and the same issues on this one too..
I have a right mind to get a refund in it and never use ASUS routers ever again.

I am soo annoyed £380 doorstop..

Chango_Chaos
Level 7
Hi sorry for a late reply, I'm on firmware version 3.0.0.4.382_15984-gf481f58.

JustinThyme
Level 13
This is often Qos settings when its device related and not across the board. Reset or firmware update sets this back to default.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein