Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xonar DX and SPDIF to My Stereo

Mike_Kelly
Level 10
I have read the manual for the DX and the Sony STR-DE675 and cant get
surround sound to work. When I do a test, the bass boom box does not
show up but it does work. The sound is coming from everywhere.

I bought a StarTech Toslink to mini digital optical SPDIF audio cable
and I had hoped it would fix everything, but I cant get it to work
but in SOUNDS I do see graph of music being played.

Thanks for any help with this, I would appreciate it !

Mike K
2 REPLIES 2

Mike_Kelly
Level 10
My MB was ruined by lightning strike, along with SSD drives and GPU and I only had 157 to spend on a replacement board and
the Gigabyte GA Z97X gaming 7. Board is new, but bios is 2015 and what a difference ...... I miss My VII Formula where
I could hit 5 gigs and Im lucky to get 3.7 out of this MB and not crash.

The MB has Sound card built in, but I like My DX and sure hope to get it working right.
I did not think I would have to have a 1/8th inch jack for each speaker out of the Xonar
and then have the other end be rca jacks ? Thanks for help

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
You should be able to use your optical cable (Toslink to Mini-Toslink) for higher quality using a digital signal, using multiple 3.5mm-RCA cables would be analog and not an elegant solution.

Gigabyte GA Z97X Gaming 7 also has SPDIF output, so check to see if the output is going through there instead of the Xonar DX (you'll need a Toslink to Toslink cable). At the same time you can also check to see if the input on the STR-DE675 is set to the correct audio input (by pressing 'Input Mode' or 'A.F.D', should be analog by default so you need to change that).

Just make sure the correct playback device is select as default (Xonar DX), and input for the amp is correct as well (the Multi Channel Decoding indicator should light up for appropriate content)

Were you able to set up your surround sound system properly before? You've had it for a while 🙂