cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7980XE + Rampage VI Extreme, randomly blue screen when using XMP.

xrb936
Level 7
Hi,
I just built a computer last month, and the blue screen is really annoying.
I updated the bios to 1004.
If I use default settings for bios, then looks like everything is OK. However if I turned XMP on, and keep other settings as default, then the blue screen will come up randomly, the error code is WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.
I then start using Intel CPU diagnostic tools to find if there is anything wrong with the CPU, I realized that if I am using XMP. then it won't pass the floating point test. If I am using default, then everything is passed.
I don't really know what should I do now. I guess there is something wrong with the motherboard. Is there anyway that I can test it?
Thank you so much!
10 REPLIES 10

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
xrb936 wrote:
Hi,
I just built a computer last month, and the blue screen is really annoying.
I updated the bios to 1004.
If I use default settings for bios, then looks like everything is OK. However if I turned XMP on, and keep other settings as default, then the blue screen will come up randomly, the error code is WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.
I then start using Intel CPU diagnostic tools to find if there is anything wrong with the CPU, I realized that if I am using XMP. then it won't pass the floating point test. If I am using default, then everything is passed.
I don't really know what should I do now. I guess there is something wrong with the motherboard. Is there anyway that I can test it?
Thank you so much!

Hi, can you specify the memory kit used?

There is nothing wrong with the motherboard. The problem is memory instability when you enable XMP. All XMP is, is a table on SPD with information regarding the frequency and timings the kit was binned at by the memory vendor. There is no guarantee of stability without manual tuning.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Hi, can you specify the memory kit used?

There is nothing wrong with the motherboard. The problem is memory instability when you enable XMP. All XMP is, is a table on SPD with information regarding the frequency and timings the kit was binned at by the memory vendor. There is no guarantee of stability without manual tuning.

I am using G.SKILL RGB DDR4 3200 CL4 4*8GB. But if there is nothing wrong with MB or CPU, why everytime I tried to use Intel CPU Diagnostic Tools, my PC will crash when it runs at Floating Point Test?

xrb936 wrote:
I am using G.SKILL RGB DDR4 3200 CL4 4*8GB. But if there is nothing wrong with MB or CPU, why everytime I tried to use Intel CPU Diagnostic Tools, my PC will crash when it runs at Floating Point Test?

Do you use XMP setting only from BIOS or adjust any value for that Kit? I used 2 kits (DDR4 3200 16-18-18-38 GTZR 32GB 4x8GB) without any problem.
Only set XMP here.
W11CANARY 26085.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

The memory is rated to run at the XMP speed but the IMC in the processor also determines how fast it can run before becoming unstable. It's a piece of silicon like the cores and is subject to the silicon lottery too. Some chips can simply run faster memory than others. The motherboard also comes into play, but is generally not the weakest link.

restsugavan wrote:
Do you use XMP setting only from BIOS or adjust any value for that Kit? I used 2 kits (DDR4 3200 16-18-18-38 GTZR 32GB 4x8GB) without any problem.
Only set XMP here.

Yes. I only used XMP without any change. My memory is C14 with default, not C16.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Because you're overclocking the memory, and it's not stable. Sometimes it's needed to tune things manually. For example, your CPU might need more VCCSA than some other samples. Try around 1.05v-1.1v.

Once you understand the fundamentals of what XMP implies and what it doesn't, it will become easier for you to grasp where the problem lies.

Silent Scone wrote:
Because you're overclocking the memory, and it's not stable. Sometimes it's needed to tune things manually. For example, your CPU might need more VCCSA than some other samples. Try around 1.05v-1.1v.

Once you understand the fundamentals of what XMP implies and what it doesn't, it will become easier for you to grasp where the problem lies.

I tried VCCIO 1.1 and VCCSA 1.05, and now it won't boot with LED code D5, Test NVRAM...

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Before going any further, can you please specify the part number of the kit used and that you're using a single memory kit?

Silent Scone wrote:
Before going any further, can you please specify the part number of the kit used and that you're using a single memory kit?

2 sets of F4-3200C14D-16GTZR

Right now I have vccio as 1.15, vccsa as 1.1. Memory voltage is 1.4, 3800 w/18-18-18-38. I can boot now, but it won't pass the first loop of MemTest64.