cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VI Q-code 8 Orange LED

AverageNinja
Level 7
Lately, my system has been randomly crashing quite frequently. The system will freeze, and the motherboard will display q-code 8 with the orange LED on, which indicates a RAM problem.

At first, it only happened when I set my memory to 3200MHz. When I downclocked to 3066 it was to be fine for a few months. But lately, it started happening again. Yesterday, I downclocked even further to 2933MHz, but it still happens. I'll be playing a game for a few hours, and everything seems fine. Then, all of a sudden, the PC will crash.

Is there anything I can do about it? I'm using Corsair LPX memory. It's a 2x8GB kit with rated speeds of 3200MHz with CL16. I'm also running the latest BIOS (1701), with my CPU (Ryzen 5 1600) at stock speeds.

I've tried upping the SOC voltage a little bit (1.125v), but ever since I did that, Rainbow Six Siege (basically the only game I play atm) started crashing to desktop mid-game (though without Q code 8). Not even a reinstall and setting the SOC back to auto fixed it. Other games like DOOM seemingly don't do this, though.

Thanks in advance!
7 REPLIES 7

tamasd
Level 8
I have the same issue, but for me it is during YouTube. First the network freezes up (I have an Intel wifi card in the bottom PCIe x1 slot), and then everything. My suspicion is that this is related to PCIe, since my main SSD is NVMe. After about half a minute, the qcode switches to "8 ", the dram led starts blinking and the onboard leds (like the start button) turn on (I have disabled them in the UEFI).

I don't know how to figure this out, because this can be either the motherboard or the CPU... or something else. Overclocking does not seem to change anything.

Is there some kind of logging in the UEFI?

tamasd
Level 8
Happened again with the new UEFI (3008). There are some differences, compared to the older UEFI (1701):

* the time between the network freeze and the full freeze is longer (about half a minute)
* code 8 and the blinking DRAM led won't happen, just the freeze, the qcode stays 24
* after the freeze, I power off the computer (I don't have a reset button), turn it on and POST fails. If I reboot again, it works.

I turned off DOCP completely, I run my RAM at 2133. I'll report back in a couple of days.

tamasd
Level 8
Freeze happened again, so it seems that RAM speed doesn't make any difference, POST failure happened as well.

What I noticed is that when I hold the power button, qcode 8 flashes up just a moment before the power cuts off. This is the 3rd time today, these freezes are getting more frequent.

Try more core voltage.

tamasd
Level 8
Thanks for the tip, my uptime is 5 days now. I am not 100% sure that the issue is completely fixed still.

What I did was that I increased both the CPU and SoC voltages by +0.02250V. I think this is something related to the SoC, since I can't reproduce it with prime95, but I can when there is medium IO and CPU load.

Sometimes very short freezes happen, just enough for a brief audio shutter. Interestingly, it never happens during gaming (I play games that are very demanding and also games that are not).

Is it possible that my CPU is faulty?

tamasd
Level 8
I turned on synergy, and in a couple of hours (while listening to a podcast on YouTube), it happened again.

This time I turned off the power supply, and the computer posted without issues... it seems that the POST issue is a new feature, where if I turn off the computer with the power button, the UEFI starts in a safe mode, I guess to help troubleshooting overclocking issues.

tamasd
Level 8
I think I solved the problem. I had no freezes in the last 6 days. The problem was the driver of my Intel 7260 WiFi card.

Steps to fix:

* open device manager
* for both the wifi card and the bluetooth card, uninstall the driver
* make sure that the "remove driver files" checkbox is checked
* go to add or remove programs
* uninstall everything intel and networking related, especially the proset app
* reboot