cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make the G75 ROG notebook truly great

Bojamijams
Level 7
So assuming that the new refresh will be coming out after Ivy Bridge is released (and by then nvidia 600M series should be out too) here are some of the things I think are needed in this line to TRULY make it a gamer notebook and finally, for the first time ever, a capable desktop replacement.

!MUST HAVE!

DisplayPort (HDMI will not drive 2560 resolutions unless there's a new spec out which actually will)

USB 3.0 (Make as many ports as possible USB 3.0)

Thunderbolt (Twice as fast as USB3.0 and allows external graphics adapters)

Digital Output (this is severely lacking on the current G74. You have the combo Headphone/Digital Output on your Xonar U3 USB stick, just use that same idea here)

And while we're on the topic of sound quality, better AMP/DAC then what is on the G74! Again, if nothing else, just take your Xonar U3 USB soundcard and embed it into the notebook (please make sure its properly shielded from noise, properly grounded, and ensure its output impedance is as close to 0 ohm as possible)

nVidia Optimus Technology - This is extremely important. With the 3000 series of embedded graphics on the Ivy Bridge, it'll be possible to play some games without using the dedicated card. This'll allow for gaming on battery which is currently impossible (past the 15-20 minute mark ). Basically the entire gaming catelogue from GOG.COM will be playable with this option and we could get about 2 hours of gaming on battery with this option)

Preferable but not required:

Swap out the D-SUB analog VGA out for DVI-D (Dual Link)

Option for:

Killer Wireless NIC (huge difference in wireless gaming over atheros and even an improvement over Intel NICs)

High end videocard (nvidia 680M) - Please allow us the option of getting a laptop with a true high-end card. The 560M is decent for most things, but it could never act as a desktop replacement

No OS - Other laptop manufacturers offer this option so its possible. Some want Home, some want Professional, some want Ultimate. Let the user decide and skip preloading a version. Please consider saving us the $100-200 dollars.

EDIT: Addendum:

Dual BIOS Switch for upgrading the motherboard BIOS. Small cost to you in design, big saving to you in reduction of RMA's based on failed flashes.

Thoughts?
25 REPLIES 25

Holy
Level 7
i would have to agree it would be nice.
G75vw DS71
3610QM I7
16GB Ram 1600mhz
750GB+120GB(patriot pyro)
Nvidia gtx 660m
Purple Keyboard mod
Proud Owner of a GTX 660ti DC-II

fostert
Level 12
Must Have: Dual-BIOS for a backup/rescue after a bad flash: no more RMAs for BIOS-bricked machines!
A user-programmable BIOS; e.g. to allow users to tweak the machine to use >=16GB of the newer PnP RAM running @1866MHz or more (in future)
Better design for user-access to GPU and CPU areas of mainboard: no total disassembly required to repaste, or upgrade!

Agreed fully about the digital video port out. And yes, more USB 3.0 ports. Finally, the thing could be lighter (<8 lbs).

Oh and keep the flat black colour and stealth look...awesome.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert wrote:
Oh and keep the flat black colour and stealth look...awesome.
This. There are plenty of options for those who want brightly colored & flashy LED designs, yet so few options for those who don't. (considering higher-end gaming laptops, that is)
Hi, I'm Dan.

Bojamijams
Level 7
I like the Dual BIOS option. Would definitely be nice to have.

PILGRIM
Level 11
Awesome wishlist for the next ASUS flagship!..

If all in the list was granted, any guess on how much would be its price based on today's market?
ASUS G74SX-3DE

xeromist
Bojamijams wrote:
No OS - Other laptop manufacturers offer this option so its possible. Some want Home, some want Professional, some want Ultimate. Let the user decide and skip preloading a version. Please consider saving us the $100-200 dollars.

While we don't have any solid numbers, I don't think OEM's pay anywhere near that much for the OS. The savings for the customer would likely be <$50.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
While we don't have any solid numbers, I don't think OEM's pay anywhere near that much for the OS. The savings for the customer would likely be <$50.

Its still one fixed option that may or may not be what you want. So why pay for it? It might only be $50 but nobody wants to give out $50 for something they're not going to use. So the option of NO OS would be very nice.

Bojamijams wrote:
Its still one fixed option that may or may not be what you want. So why pay for it? It might only be $50 but nobody wants to give out $50 for something they're not going to use. So the option of NO OS would be very nice.

The reason I point that out is that the vast majority of people will be fine with Home Premium since Pro and Ultimate offer nothing that a gaming laptop needs. The OEM gets the OS cheaper than any individual can hope to get it so for the vast majority of people that only need Home, it will actually cost them substantially MORE to buy a laptop without an OS.

I fully support barebones for casual home & office machines where free Linux could save people money, but Linux isn't viable for a gaming machine.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
The reason I point that out is that the vast majority of people will be fine with Home Premium since Pro and Ultimate offer nothing that a gaming laptop needs. The OEM gets the OS cheaper than any individual can hope to get it so for the vast majority of people that only need Home, it will actually cost them substantially MORE to buy a laptop without an OS.

I fully support barebones for casual home & office machines where free Linux could save people money, but Linux isn't viable for a gaming machine.

I fully understand that Home Premium will be fine for majority of users. In fact, keep it as the default option when customizing the ROG laptop. But just add the option to go Barebone. That way power users/gamers can choose their own OS and the majority can keep their home premium.