cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with 960 Pro m.2 NVMe SSD & Asus Rampage IV extreme mobo

StarFyre
Level 7
Hi all,

Haven't looked at components in a long time. Saw a sale and got the samsung 960 pro m.2 nvme SSD (the pcie card one).

Just opened up the case and see that it doesn't look like it will fit. The little spacer on the SSD wont line up to the notch in the motherboard pcie slot and after looking it up; i thought the m.2 was a type of version # but it appears its a new form of slot? *sigh*

so questions - looked up and saw lots of instructions to make the drive bootable, etc. I'm not changing my booting SSD; this drive is just for extra higher speed storage (games mainly).

so:

1) can i stick it into the rampage IV PCI slots anywhere along its length (where it can fit? since it wont fit at the very end of the slot due to the spacer) or do i need another type of expansion converter card first?

2) i see some people using some type of bios update for these drives but is that just if you want it bootable?

Got it from newegg.ca so i think i can return it. Was hoping this would be fairly quick!

Regards,

Sanjay
5 REPLIES 5

JustinThyme
Level 13
Firstly, it will never be bootable

What adapter did you buy?
If it doesn't seat in properly as in making contact with the correct pins its not going to work. If its a single NVMe adaptor it should be X4 and fit to the end of the slot as in left side for most appllications. You cant just poke it in any which way. All of the connections are specific.
After getting a card that fits correctly it should be plug and play, maybe Samsung drivers for the 960 if you want but even that isnt necessary. It just wont boot as the drivers wont be loaded until you get into the OS. Boot from PCIE just came mainstream with the newest boards.

What card did you and what slot are you trying to put it in?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Hello,

I am back from vacation... sadly didn't see this sooner.

I got this samsung drive: SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6P512BW

and this pcie adapter card since learned from another forum i need one to support the m.2 (i thought it was like a model code but its apparently a slot difference)

StarTech PEX4M2E1 M.2 Adapter - x4 PCIe 3.0 NVMe - Low Profile and Full Profile - SSD PCIE M.2 Adapter - M2 SSD - PCI Express SSD

Ive put them into the furthest most pcie slot (the full sized red slot) furthest from the cpu area. I also tried another slot closer.

basically windows 10 doesn't seem to detect the drive and the samsung driver says: "Samsung NVM Express Device is not connected. Connect the device and try again."

I dont need it to be bootable. Just wanted it as another drive to install games and apps to.

Regards,

SAnjay

JustinThyme wrote:
Firstly, it will never be bootable

What adapter did you buy?
If it doesn't seat in properly as in making contact with the correct pins its not going to work. If its a single NVMe adaptor it should be X4 and fit to the end of the slot as in left side for most appllications. You cant just poke it in any which way. All of the connections are specific.
After getting a card that fits correctly it should be plug and play, maybe Samsung drivers for the 960 if you want but even that isnt necessary. It just wont boot as the drivers wont be loaded until you get into the OS. Boot from PCIE just came mainstream with the newest boards.

What card did you and what slot are you trying to put it in?

JustinThyme
Level 13
If the adaptor is seated correctly and the drive inserted correctly there is no reason this shoule not be detected other than the card or drive being faulty. I would lean more towards the card being the issue.
See if you can source an ASUS Hyper M.2 x 4 MINI for a single M2 NVMe.

One final thought, as simple as this seems.....Make sure your PCIe switch under the reset button for the slot you are trying to use is not in the ohh efff efff position.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

THANK YOU THANK YOU

last time i did an upgrade on this pc was years ago. i forgot i had turned off the pcie switches. No idea why i bothered but i had. turned lane 4 back on. turned on...and its all fine.

thanks 🙂 🙂 🙂

meankeys
Level 13
Justin you cies to amaze me 😉

Nice call