cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU unstable, Bad Motherboard?

Hopeywolf
Level 7
So I recently had to RMA my GPU and today i got it back and its worse in terms of stability. I tried everything:

-Fresh install
-Clean Drivers (DDU)
-Swapped PSU
-Old system ( i7 4970k)
-Different PCI slot within new build.
-Memtest86+ for 10 hours
-AIda64 CPU stress with memory for 7 hours
-Realbench for 16 hours Stress test
-Prime95 for 10 hours

The only item that showed no issue was using my old system for my GPU gave no issues. So is the motherboard defective?
16 REPLIES 16

Raja
Level 13
You'll want to detail the following:

1) Full list of parts.
2) Configuration - overclocked or not (yes, that includes XMP).
3) The type of instability - BSOD? System locking up? Something else?

Raja@ASUS wrote:
You'll want to detail the following:

1) Full list of parts.
2) Configuration - overclocked or not (yes, that includes XMP).
3) The type of instability - BSOD? System locking up? Something else?

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-8700K CPU @ 4.30GHz
Memory: Corsair LPX Series 32GB @ 3000Mhz
Hard Drive: 2x Samsung Evo 850 1TB, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB NVME
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
Monitor: ROG PG278QR + XB271HU
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)
Computer Case: Corsair 570x
PCI Addons: Soundblaster Z + Elgato Capture Card HD60 Pro

2. Tried XMP and non XMP, same issues. No overclocks past that.

Usually after this happens system recovers from drivers but more often, it just freezes and restarts.

Other than that, my system is stable while stressing the CPU and memory alone.
My system stutters for 2 seconds at the start but that could be normal.

Raja
Level 13
That looks like a faulty GPU, or one that's overclocked too far. Of course, I'm assuming the card is properly seated in the slot, the display cable fully inserted on both sides, and that there are no misaligned pins in the CPU socket.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
That looks like a faulty GPU, or one that's overclocked too far. I'm assuming the card is properly seated in the slot, the display cable fully inserted on both sides, and that there are no misaligned pins in the CPU socket.

I double checked before installing my cpu and there are no misalign pins. This doesn thappen instantly its over 5-10 minutes. My last card before RMA was able to do heaven benchmark without any of the artifacting. I would be heartbroken if it was the new asus board I just got, im close to ordering a new board just to see if its the issue, but i dont see why it would be. I used a 1050 ti on the slot and its fine

Raja
Level 13
I'd contact the graphics card vendor.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
I'd contact the graphics card vendor.

What should I tell them, They said they honestly think its the board since the GPU worked on an older x99 sabertooth on the same stress test, but the errors look like they come from the GPU, its confusing

Raja
Level 13
This type of stuff may need a certain frame rate/load/temp to manifest, so I'm not sure the comparison to other platforms is valid.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
This type of stuff may need a certain frame rate/load/temp to manifest, so I'm not sure the comparison to other platforms is valid.

On top of that my old card that was RMA'd had gsync flickering constantly but with it off, it ran games and benched heaven just fine. This card I got as a replacement is a lot more unstable in comparison.

Raja
Level 13
As I said, I'd take this up with the graphics card vendor.