cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"CPU FAN ERROR" on boot. Unsure how to correct the problem.

Kinryu
Level 7
Hello!

before i start, i did search through the forums but didnt find anyone with the same problem i think i have.

i just bought a new computer and have assembled it today. on initial boot the system was perfect, accepted all the hardware. everything was fine. windows installed without a hitch. I began to install the motherboard drivers, starting with the chipset driver. the system rebooted and suddenly it reported "CPU FAN ERROR, Press F1 to Run SETUP" (LED Debug code 34) before it got to windows.

i opened the case and found the CPU fan was NOT spinning. I reinstalled all the software on the disc provided and have not been able to get the fans spinning again. im scared to do to much on the system without the fans running. i have disconnected and reconnected the CPU-FAN header a few times and tried an alternate fan as well and found no progress.

im sorry if this has been answered before i simply cannot find an answer.

my specs are as follows:

ASUS Maximus IV z68 GENE-Z
Intel i5-2500k
ASUS GTX560
CoolerMaster Power GX 650W
Noctua NH-U9B
G.Skill 8GB 2133 DDR3 RAM

thanks for any assistance you can give. im really hoping the motherboard isnt faulty. i would hate to have to pull this apart again.

-Nathan
6 REPLIES 6

_-Goku-_
Level 7
Kinryu,
Can you try connecting the CPU fan to another Fan header, and see if it comes on?

I know the CPU fans are 4 pin, but they will fit on the 3pin fan headers.

Bassil
Level 7
Silly questions (but most of the time they are ...)

Have you checked that the CPU is correctly seated and that the CPU cooler is also correctly fitted? Check your Ram modules are in the correct slots and are also correctly seated.

I suggest going back to basics on this one resetting the CMOS to defaults and updating us from there!

Good luck and let us know what you find.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Can you quickly confirm for me that you have the CPU fan connected to the correct header?

You can use the system diagram in your manual to confirm.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thank you very much for your responses. i have tried what you have suggested.

I have reseated the CPU/Cooler/RAM and got no change. i reset the BIOS to "optimized defaults" and that didn't change anything either. i held down the Clr CMOS button on the back of the computer (while powered off as i was told this is how it works) and still had the same problem.

i have connected both fans to the case fan headers on the motherboard and they are spinning beautifully. they are 3-pin fans so i don't know if that makes a difference.

i did try connecting the Intel stock cooler to CPU_FAN header to see if it would work (as it is a 4-pin fan) and it didn't spin either.

i made sure i had the fans plugged into the right headers too. At the moment they are not but they were through all my previous attempts.

my friend suggested flashing the BIOS but i think that i have the latest BIOS version already, so i don't know if that will change anything.

please forgive my ignorance, this is the first ASUS board I've had troubles with.

Thanks for the help so far. i dont think

HiVizMan
Level 40
It does seem like your CPU-FAN header is now deceased mate.

I did read you correctly when you said your tested another fan with the header. And that was the clincher for me.

Sad to say it is RMA if you wish to go that route.

There are work around's of course. But RMA would be option one.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thank you very much for all your help. i'm going to keep an eye on it for a couple days and see how it goes.

I'm happy with a work around for now as it seems this motherboard is in short supply here in Melbourne, Australia. and getting a replacement can take some time.

Thanks again! and if i ever find a way to fix it ill post it up here.