cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did some tests so you don't have to: Basic voltage tables for Z370-G and 8700K

Dovakhan
Level 7
I finally decided to "OMG GO EXPERIMENT YURSELF!!", like the kind mods here suggested. I'm putting here my results, in case someone with nothing but basic knowledge about voltage configuration wants to avoid frying their CPU, if only a little (BIOS 0430):

100% Default BIOS settings: 1,25v (VID and Vcore).
Default with SVID Best case: 1,1 Vcore 1,16 VID (Referred as "Good values" from on now).
XMP ON, NO improvements (SVID Auto: Same as default BIOS settings. SVID Best: Good values).
XMP ON, improvements (SVID Auto: Same as default BIOS settings. SVID Best: Good values).

Literally any other configuration I've tested with MCE disabled: 1,344 (Bad values).

Note that in none of these configurations my CPU hit more than 4,3 on all 6 cores. So frankly IDK what the MCE option or that "CPU improvement" prompt when activating XMP does.

My final recommendation? Load BIOS defaults, activate your XMP profile, select "NO" in the prompt, put SVID at Best Behaviour and you're good to go (any further suggestions are welcome).

And pray both that those are the default stock Intel voltages indeed, and that ASUS fixes this complete mess.

Tests done with Prime95 and Cinebench, measured with HWiNFO64.

Also, I'm adding some live tests made with Destiny 2, Crysis 3, CEMU (Zelda BOTW), and Star Citizen Alpha 3.0:

Destiny 2 / SC 3.0: Voltage stays whitin the 1,1-1,16 range. VID roughly the same.

Crysis 3 / CEMU: Voltage/VID normally stays whitin 1,18-1,21 range (hopefully they're still whitin reasonable values, although I've read people having 1,2 for OC'ed CPUs).

All of them with MCE disabled: 1,344-1,36 VCore, and around 1,30-1,32 VID.

My temperatures with Bad values were 65 C, and with Good values are 50 C (both average).
7 REPLIES 7

Dovakhan
Level 7
Addentum: OK, now I REALLY don't have the slightest idea of what's going on...in benchmarks like Prime95 and Cinebench it never surpasses 4,3 Ghz on all cores. But switching to any gaming app (including CEMU and Cinebench's OpenGL test), and either sensors or the CPU config go awry, showing 4,4 Ghz on all cores or more.

Or I guess that could also mean that maybe MCE gets activated when it detects any game. In any case, I have to choose between an OC that I DON'T WANT, or putting my CPU at 1,344v for nothing. Kudos, ASUS. Kudos.

And BTW, choosing "NO" at the XMP prompt doesn't even disable MCE, so you might want to fix that as well, if it's supposed to do so.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

This is not meant as disrespectful but because of the title of this thread some clarification is needed. You are adjusting settings that alter overshoot and hold times. The observed VCORE difference is a consequence of this. This type of testing is irrelevant without proper test equipment and sound measuring methodology.

Praz wrote:
Hello

This is not meant as disrespectful but because of the title of this thread some clarification is needed. You are adjusting settings that alter overshoot and hold times. The observed VCORE difference is a consequence of this. This type of testing is irrelevant without proper test equipment and sound measuring methodology.

Yeah, and a notary and 5 witnesses, no te digo...

I'm talking from the perspective of an average user, not a dedicated OC pro. Or do you know of many average users with the knowledge and the will to spend money on tools that will only use once or twice?

Checking my voltages via software is all I'm willing to get involved into. And having in mind that I'm just asking for the STOCK settings and not the ^%$~ moon, I think that it is a goal that should be easily reachable by anyone.

Also, I ran the same tests with every different combination. If with some configs I get a lower voltage, then what conclusion do you want me to draw?

Dovakhan
Level 7
https://www.asus.com/support/Product/ContactUs/Services/questionform/?lang=en

If you just want your CPU's stock settings and you can't enable them, if your voltages are unreasonably high, if turning MCE on/off does nothing for you...I've already received more useful help from them than from any of the forum mods here.

I've reported everything I know about those issues to them...hopefully they'll reply me again soon. But insisting on the matter wouldn't hurt, especially as I especifically said that I have a Z370-G Wifi AC motherboard.

Dovakhan
Level 7
More than 1 month, and we still have a BIOS with it's MCE settings so broken that it seems like a Beta version, and with no way of putting the default frequencies and voltages of our CPUs (not easily at least). Could we know WHEN ASUS is going to fix this mess? Thank you.

No issues with 0802 here. What board are you referring to?

BIOS 0430, ROX Strix Z370-G Gaming Wifi AC

I think that it also affects other Strix boards, but I'm not 100% sure of that. Sorry, I should have clarified which BIOS and motherboard I have.