cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VSK defect? G sync, strange buzz and others

sl0519
Level 7
Just got myself a new G752vs oc edition, i7-7820HK / GTX 1070 / 16G / 256*2 RAID 0
I noticed some strange issues for a week of usage, so I'm posting here making sure I'm not getting a defect unit.

1. The CPU is running hotter than it should be...idles arounds 40-50C, but as soon as any application fires up, the right fan kicks into turbo mode (facing the screen) and can easily shoot up 60C above. Games (eg. forza 7) cpu temp max value reads at an alarming 90-95C. Ambient temp is 24C / 75F. Is this normal?

2. This is a model with a 120hz panel. I noticed when a game runs higher than 60fps, there's a strange consistent electronic buzzing sound like coil whine coming from the right side of my keyboard, and the higher the frames, the louder it gets. As soon as I pause the game in menu or shut off, the sound completely vanished. I think it's coming from the GPU but I'm not so sure if this is normal for a high end hardware.

3. For some reason, during gaming (applies to any game) my screen flickers into white in a short millisecond like every two or three second. It's irritated to the state that I cannot enjoy playing anymore. Later I found it to be issue with G-sync, disable it solves the problem. Is there any wrong going on with my machine?
4 REPLIES 4

MrRuckus
Level 10
Odd problems. I would get it swapped out if you can. The G752VS is slighly less thick than the G752VY. I would imagine with a 1070 and an HK processor, its gonna push the limits of that Chassis as far as temps go. I would ask others with the same laptop if they experience the same temps. I would say its not out of the ordinary to see close to 100c temps in some of these ROG laptops. I had the same kind of temps in a G53, but that was a 15inch laptop.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

I have all the same problems excluding temperature (didn't measure).
About noise: I didn't disable 120Hz and G-sync (at least not for all games), but I turned triple buffering and v-sync on in nvidia settings (for games that were seen for making laptop do the noise. Of course, g-sync was turned off for this apps).
For example: stalker COP - there is a noise and annoying flickering on default settings, but I turned g-sync off, turned 3-buff and v-sync on - so, no noise and flickering, everthing is running smooth.

ForgeOfGods-G75
Level 7
As long as asus doesnt support these models with newer bios the only fix is to buy an acer or msi laptop.

Quality of G752 series is so bad that i cant even find words to tell about it.

Try to send it to rma or better retun it if you are able to do that and buy another model or even another brand.

ForgeOfGods-G752VS wrote:
As long as asus doesnt support these models with newer bios the only fix is to buy an acer or msi laptop.

Quality of G752 series is so bad that i cant even find words to tell about it.

Try to send it to rma or better retun it if you are able to do that and buy another model or even another brand.

+1 IPS alone was a mistake. Dark games are horrible..