cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Raid Pro: Problems with upmixing browser stereo to 5.1

grimjack68
Level 7
So, this has been bothering me for quite a while.

Bought a Strix Raid Pro on October 5th, 2016. Since then, I've had problems playing content from any browser - I've tested with multiple versions of Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and MSIE. If I pull up a youtube video, it will start in stereo only. If I open Sonic Studio and switch to headphones, then back to speakers, it will upmix properly, but only for the duration of that one track. As soon as I pick another video, it goes back to stereo again.

Speakers are the default device. Eq, Bass Boost, Voice Clarity, Reverb are all off. Although I've tried it with them on as well. Noise Gate and Perfect Voice are on. Upmix is on. Toggling Upmix when it is playing in stereo has no effect.

5.1 upmixed content from sources other than a web browser works fine - I use MusicBee to play local mp3 files, for instance.

System:
Windows 10 pro 64bit
32 GB ram
Intel Core i7-5930 @3.5GHz
Asus Sabretooth X99 mainboard
Geforce 1080
Samsung M.2 NVMe 960 Pro hard drive

Sonic Studio v1.1.18 (I've used several versions of this over the last year, all seem to exhibit the same problem)
Sound Card FW v1.03
Control Box FW v1.14

Windows playback devices / Speakers are set to 5.1 Surround.
Playback configuration in Sonic Studio is 5.1 / 44.1 KHz / 16 bits - although I've tried messing with all of these settings as well.

Anyone with tips or theories would be most welcome.
5 REPLIES 5

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi grimjack68,

Sorry the upmix function does not work the same way for all browsers.

Firefox has established that it does not support third-party plug-ins or provide any sound effects from Firefox v53 (2017/18/18). For details, please refer to this website: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/01/24/preventing-add-ons-third-party-software-from-loading-dlls...

Edge and IE are able to play content with stereo upmixed to 5.1.
Please refer to the video here: https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/4A08208B7EC94057ACD865AF04B6457FY

Chrome is unable to support the upmix function for music video playback. Since Chrome detects that the output is multi-channel, instead of streaming stereo content, Chrome streams multi-channels content with silent rear channels. Therefore the upmix of stereo content from Sonic Studio cannot be applied.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Hi grimjack68,

Therefore the upmix of stereo content from Sonic Studio cannot be applied.

My strix soar doesn't upmix stereo sources too, but my old Xonar D1 do. Looks like it's a driver problem, not browser/youtube/etc.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Hi grimjack68,

Sorry the upmix function does not work the same way for all browsers.

Firefox has established that it does not support third-party plug-ins or provide any sound effects from Firefox v53 (2017/18/18). For details, please refer to this website: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/01/24/preventing-add-ons-third-party-software-from-loading-dlls...

Edge and IE are able to play content with stereo upmixed to 5.1.
Please refer to the video here: https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/4A08208B7EC94057ACD865AF04B6457FY

Chrome is unable to support the upmix function when music video playback. Since Chrome detects that the output is multi-channel, instead of streaming stereo content, Chrome streams multi-channels content with silent rear channels. Therefore the upmix of stereo content from Sonic Studio cannot be applied.

Why my old Xonar D1 DOES the upmix in all apps, but strix soar doesn't? It's not Chrome/FF problem, it's YOUR problem, ASUS! Fix this!

There is no browser where Sonic Studio upmix works. It works only for games/downloaded videos/downloaded music.

Upd. Today I have working upmix feature in Microsoft Edge( Windows 17120 build).

exwound wrote:
There is no browser where Sonic Studio upmix works. It works only for games/downloaded videos/downloaded music.

Upd. Today I have working upmix feature in Microsoft Edge( Windows 17120 build).

I have got the same issue. How did you get it to work?