cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i9-7980XE Oveclock settings EZ Tunning vs Manual Settings

fexnok
Level 7
Any suggestions on what would be the best method for overclocking?

I have tried EZ Tuning and I think I got 4.5Ghz but it changes so many things on the BIOS that if I want to go back to default speeds without losing my changes it's sort of painful plus I would like to know which settings have been changed.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
fexnok wrote:
Any suggestions on what would be the best method for overclocking?

I have tried EZ Tuning and I think I got 4.5Ghz but it changes so many things on the BIOS that if I want to go back to default speeds without losing my changes it's sort of painful plus I would like to know which settings have been changed.

Thanks

The best method? Manually tuning, of course. As with previous platforms, testing one aspect at a time is the best approach. Start with a manual voltage for core without applying XMP and work out what voltage is needed for a given frequency.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
The best method? Manually tuning, of course. As with previous platforms, testing one aspect at a time is the best approach. Start with a manual voltage for core without applying XMP and work out what voltage is needed for a given frequency.

One thing I noticed was that I overclocked the CPU and got that stable, then enabled XMP for the RAM. The BIOS asked if I wanted to use Multi Core Enhancement or default, I chose default and it reverted all my settings back to stock. MCE wouldn't have been any better I think? Fortunately I saved my profile so loading it and then applying XMP for a second time didn't give me the prompt for MCE so my settings stuck. Just forewarning the OP or anyone really in case they try the same.

JustinThyme
Level 13
EZ tune fails 100% of the time. Small OC with an overshoot on the Vcore. Stock is usually better.
Stick with manual.
The BOS as a save feature where you can save a profile once you get it set up and use different tweaks to add more profiles. You can even save the profiles to USB now.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Menthol
Level 14
First thing I do is set a basic profile, boot settings, fan settings, etc with default CPU, memory, save this so I always have a starting point when OC fails