cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero and Gskill 4133mhz compatibility

TarroX
Level 7
Hello everyone, it's my first post in the forum.
Specifications:
- Motherboard: Asus Maximus X Hero
- RAM: Gskill F4-4133C19D-16GTZR
- Processor: i7 8700k
- Graphic Card: Asus Rog Strix 1080TI OC
- SSD M2 960 pro 512gb

I bought the ram without knowing that it was not compatible with the XMP profile of the motherboard, when I activate the XMP and it is set to 4133mhz, the computer does not turn on (error code 55).

Is there any way to solve this or do I have to buy another ram model?
Will they update the bios by making the ram compatible?

The version of the bios is 0213 (I have not updated for fear, since I've seen a post that says that the graphics card goes from x16 to x8)

Thank you all and sorry for my English.
9 REPLIES 9

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hi,

I would first suggest reading here from the sticky section: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98041-Understanding-and-using-XMP

In the context of your post, 4000+ can be tricky on 4 DIMM boards and plug and play is by no means guaranteed, manual tuning is often required.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

First off, just FYI, I am on 0802 and my video card runs fine x16. I think the post you are referring to the person had a defective motherboard?

I am also using the same RAM and have also had difficulties getting it to run at 4133mhz without errors.

I read around about safe voltages for DDR4 RAM and according to Intel the absolute maximum for XMP certification is 1.50V although they recommend 1.35 or 1.40 in most cases.

I figured I would go ahead and give 1.50V a shot (I already gave 1.35 and 1.40 a shot and was getting errors in Prime95). Even with 1.50V I got an error at about the 45 minute mark. This was the longest I had gone without errors though so I felt like progress was being made. I then realized I had mutli-core enhancement set to Auto and read that this can cause problems.

After disabling multi-core enhancement and at 1.50V I am 2 hours in with no errors (this is the furthest I have gotten ever). 1.35 with MCE disabled still gave errors after minutes. I will go back and try out 1.40V and 1.45V to see if I can reduce the voltage some and remain stable.

I am fairly new to overclocking... does anyone want to pitch in about the 1.50V and whether it is safe or not and would I run into issues down the road?

Nate152
Hi Pervy Jutsu

1.50v is the max reccommended voltage for DDR4, that's Intels recommendations and is safe as long as temps are ok.

But for high speed ram you'll likely need to raise the cpu system agent voltage and cpu vccio voltage.

Try with the Dram voltage at 1.40v

CPU System Agent voltage anywhere from 1.15v - 1.30v, with 1.35v being max.
CPU VCCIO voltage anywhere from 1.15v up to 1.30v max.

Start with them both at 1.15v and if it doesn't boot, raise both voltages .05v. So next would be both at 1.20v, if it still doesn't boot try both at 1.25v, then finally both at 1.30v if needed. Hopefully it will stabilize with both around 1.25v.

Give this a try and see how it goes.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Pervy Jutsu

1.50v is the max reccommended voltage for DDR4, that's Intels recommendations and is safe as long as temps are ok.

But for high speed ram you'll likely need to raise the cpu system agent voltage and cpu vccio voltage.

Try with the Dram voltage at 1.40v

CPU System Agent voltage anywhere from 1.15v - 1.30v, with 1.35v being max.
CPU VCCIO voltage anywhere from 1.15v up to 1.30v max.

Start with them both at 1.15v and if it doesn't boot, raise both voltages .05v. So next would be both at 1.20v, if it still doesn't boot try both at 1.25v, then finally both at 1.30v if needed. Hopefully it will stabilize with both around 1.25v.

Give this a try and see how it goes.

1.45V without messing with SA and VCCIO voltage (they are default which I believe is Auto) seems rock solid. So at least I was able to go a tad lower than the 1.50V. 1.40V results in errors in my Prime95 testing.

Would it be better to begin experimenting with SA and VCCIO to get the DRAM voltage even lower? I feel like 1.45 isn't too bad if it's not giving me any problems. G.skill even recommends 1.40V for 4113mhz and higher applications.

Menthol
Level 14
Every CPU is different but this works for me
Try Dram volts 1.38, VCCSA 1.25v, VCCIO, 1.23, and up IO and SA volts if needed, voltages read will be a little different that applied due to LLC and vcore , MCE on or off, SVID, best case senario or not, etc.

Travisel
Level 7
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA board with Bios v1003 will run G.Skill F4-4133C17Q-32GTZR kit @4133MHz @CL17 (17-17-17-37) T1 1.40v

I7-8700K @5.1GHz @1.40v using EK custom cooling system.

XMP is the best way to do this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I agree with Travisel above, I have the same sticks on bios 1003 and 1101, works fine with XMP at 4133.
Not updating the bios is silly, the new bioses are for memory stability mostly.

tijgert wrote:
I agree with Travisel above, I have the same sticks on bios 1003 and 1101, works fine with XMP at 4133.
Not updating the bios is silly, the new bioses are for memory stability mostly.

No need to upgrade if the system is working as intended and no additional features or compatibility is listed.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
No need to upgrade if the system is working as intended and no additional features or compatibility is listed.

True, but if the system is not working as intended then not updating will never fix anything.
Not updating because it already doesn't work is faulty reverse logic.