cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX-DH72/GentechPC.com missing Creative drivers. Audio muddy.

hirethestache
Level 10
I did a search but cant find anyone with a similar setup as mine. Im running a DH72 from Gentech PC and was under the assumption it came with the Creative drivers in addition to the (existing) Realtek drivers. This might have changed when I had GTPC configure a bloatware-free machine, but I didn't think that would exclude the Creative drivers.

The audio coming from the speakers sounds reasonable, but muddy. After researching a bit, I've learned that the speakers are more or less lackluster on this machine (a shame, because everything else is near perfection), but I was wondering if I would see any improvement with the Creative drivers? If so, where can I find them, and what are your preferred settings?
9 REPLIES 9

BrodyBoy
Level 10
The Creative program isn't an alternate audio driver....it's just an audio enhancement utility. There are a few of them out there that do the same thing (SRS Essentials, etc). So it's not a substitute for your Realtek driver, but an add-on. Go ahead and give it a try.....if you don't like it, just uninstall it.

I was aware that the drivers are only enhancements, I just am unsure as to which enhancement drivers + settings different users are having the best results with, and where they're getting them (suitable for the 74sx)

fostert
Level 12
I'm not running Creative drivers, but Creative's THX program makes the G74 speakers much less flat and airy when set to "External Speakers" or "Headphones" instead of the default "Built-In Speakers" setting. Its essentially an equalizer thats had the low and high frequencies exaggerated and the mid-range de-emphasized. I suspect any equalizer program could be adjusted to do what THX does, but it works so well that I leave it on my machine to load at bot.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

BrodyBoy
Level 10
If that was the question, then my answer would have been that I like the paid version of SRS Essentials. But the free THX option also offers noticeable improvement. (You don't get much in the way of settings with it. It's essentially an equalizer preset.)

BrodyBoy wrote:
If that was the question, then my answer would have been that I like the paid version of SRS Essentials. But the free THX option also offers noticeable improvement. (You don't get much in the way of settings with it. It's essentially an equalizer preset.)

Thanks for the tip. Do you know where I can find the software download compatible with the SX? Im traveling right now, but should be home in a few hours to test it out. I can just download and install remotely via my iPhone/Splashtop and test it out when I get home.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
If you mean SRS Essentials, you can get a free trial on their website.

BrodyBoy wrote:
If you mean SRS Essentials, you can get a free trial on their website.

No no, the free THX version.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Give this a try.

ColonelS
Level 9
Shld be the same as Brody link.

Under ultilites and THX_MUI
Click ->Republic of Gamers<- official Facebook page