cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX RAM Issue (B1/B2)

Rico515
Level 7
Good afternoon everyone,

I was hoping you guys could help me with an issue i'm having. My PC specs are as follows:

Case: Corsair 570X
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IX Code
CPU: Intel i7 7700k
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (4x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 (F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR)
VGA: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Black Edition (11G-P4-6391-KR)
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barricuda 1TB
Fans: 4 Corsair LL120's, 2 Corsair LL140's
PSU: EVGA 850 BQ

The motherboard won't post with all 4 slots of the RAM installed. Slots A1 and A2 work when i have the RAM installed on A1 only, A2 only and A1+A2. Slots B1 and B2 dont work in any configuration of RAM (B1 only, B2 only, A1+B1, A2+B2, B1+B2, A1+A2+B1+B2). Slots B1 and B2 should have power because the RGB on the RAM light up.

My troubleshooting so far:

Updated to latest BIOS 1009
Tested each individual RAM on slot A1 to make sure all 4 sticks of RAM are functional and the board recognizes them (they are).
Tweaker Profile 1
Tweaker Profile 2
Set System Agent Voltage and IO Voltage to 1.25V (Tweaker Profile 1/2/Auto)
Enabled XMP (tweaker profile on auto)
Enabled XMP with tweaker profile 1
Enabled XMP with tweaker profile 2
Manually enter the RAM timings/voltage
Reseat the CPU cooler making sure to tighten it evenly and only hand tight

Anytime i change any settings within the BIOS i test A1, A2, B1, B2, A1+B1, A2+B2, A1+A2, B1+B2, A1+A2+B1+B2. I could share the Q codes and LED that the motherboard cycles through when it does not post for each example. It typically cycles through 49/Red, 01/Yellow, 03/Red (Q code/LED). I've also had CC/Yellow and 55/Yellow come up but not as often as the previously mentioned.

My next move will be to reseat the CPU itself and check for bent pins. Any other suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hi Rico515

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Have you tried clearing the cmos with all 4 sticks installed ?

If so, your next suggestion to check for bent cpu socket pins is what to do next, look close and carefully with a magnifying glass in good light.

Chino
Level 15
Try loosening the screws for the Kraken a little. If that doesn't work, take your system out of your case and test it on top of the motherboard cardboard box.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm sorry for the delay "/

I was went ahead and checked the pins on the motherboard for bent pins and found the culprit. I put the pin back in place and was able to post with all 4 DIMM slots being used. Thanks again for the help 😄