ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Question What are the bare minimum software and drivers necessary for the G74sx?

Hi,

I'm toying with doing a fresh install of Windows 7, however laptops of this nature are a new breed of technology to me, and I'm unsure of what I need to reinstall after Windows 7 clean install. I mean what I "absolutely" must have for the normal operation of this laptop.

I know I need the basics like my GPU driver and my sound chip driver, but I'm sure there must be other stuff that I will need, not only drivers but software.

I want to be able to reinstall some of the programs that a factory install, installs on the laptop like the Cyberlink blueray disc suite, but I don't know how I would reinstall that without doing a complete factory install with the recovery discs. And if I use the recovery discs that the laptop had me make when I bought it, then it's going to reinstall "everything" all over again and I'll just be in the same boat that I'm in now.

The main things that concern me that makes me want to just do a fresh install of windows 7 is that I'm not getting the performance that others are boasting they are getting, even if I'm running throttle stop, and there are something like 115 process's running, which would be absurd on my desktop which runs very lean and nowhere near that many process's at one time.

I'm assuming that there is some of those process's that must be running for the laptops functions to operate correctly.

Anyway, sorry for the short novel... I just need to know what I need to download and save before doing a fresh install of win 7 so that I don't get stuck afterwards and not be able to download what I need.

Thanks for the help.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Intel chipset driver
    Intel RST
    Intel MEI
    nVidia Graphics driver
    Realtek card reader driver
    Realtek audio driver (you can actually eek by without this)
    Touchpad driver (ditto...Windows has a generic driver, sans gesture functions)
    Realtek ethernet driver (IF you need ethernet)
    Fresco USB 3.0 driver
    WLAN driver (IF you use wireless)
    Bluetooth driver (IF you use bluetooth)
    ATK Package

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Thank you, I'll see if I can find all of those and download them before starting so that they are at the ready.

But what about installing some of the software that came on the laptop? Is that just lost if I don't do a factory recovery to the laptop, or is there some way to install it from the recovery discs without actually recovering the laptop to factory defaults? (like the cyberlink blueray disc suite)

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

You can download most of those other programs if you want them. (You can't pick and choose anything off the recovery disks...they don't work that way. The drivers disk has most of the program on it.)

PM sent.
    Last edited by BrodyBoy; 01-20-2012 at 02:30 AM.