Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

New ROGer Array

Exclamation Crackling/Popping audio on HERO VIII

Lately, I have been getting stuttering audio and a pops coming from my headphones while plugged into the onboard audio also same when I plug them into a DAC but plugging in the headphones into a phone works perfectly fine. Also there was a post on reddit with the exact same issue and he was using the same motherboard (HERO VIII) and I'm unsure what is causing it as using diffrent headphones,DAC, formatting PC,Reinstalling drivers did nothing and still i get the issue.

I'm happy to provide any other info and happy to hear suggestions on resolving this issue.

Thank you in advance.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array brkkab123 PC Specs
    brkkab123 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Hero
    ProcessorIntel Core i5 6600K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 32GBs
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire NITRO+ RX 480 OC 8GB
    Sound CardOnboard sound
    MonitorLG 25UM58-P
    Storage #1Samsung 850 EVO 1.0TB m.2
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1.0TB SATA & W.D. Black 2.0TB
    CPU CoolerEK Water Blocks EK-XLC Predator 240 1.1 w/push/pull add-on fans kit
    CaseNZXT Phantom 820
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2
    Keyboard Logitech G213 Prodigy
    Mouse Logitech G403 Prodigy
    Headset/Speakers Logitech X530 5.1
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterNetgear WNDR 3700
    Accessory #1 Logitech c615 HD Webcam
    Accessory #2 Seagate Backup Desk 3.0TB
    Accessory #3 Logitech U920 Driving Force Racing Wheel/Logitech Driving Force Shifter/GT Omega Wheel Stand

I have the Maximus VIII Hero on my pc, too.
    It's a known issue and there's a easy fix.
    Make sure you wrap your cases HD Audio cables in a plastic pc cable wrap all the way from the front panel to the motherboard's HD Audio port and then replug the HD Audio cable to the motherboard.
    The hiss should be gone after doing that.
    It worked on my pc.
    I found the cable wrap afew years ago atHarbor & Freight.
    If there isn't a Harbor & Freight in your area, try a local hardware store or Amazon/Newegg.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by brkkab123 View Post
    I have the Maximus VIII Hero on my pc, too.
    It's a known issue and there's a easy fix.
    Make sure you wrap your cases HD Audio cables in a plastic pc cable wrap all the way from the front panel to the motherboard's HD Audio port and then replug the HD Audio cable to the motherboard.
    The hiss should be gone after doing that.
    It worked on my pc.
    I found the cable wrap afew years ago atHarbor & Freight.
    If there isn't a Harbor & Freight in your area, try a local hardware store or Amazon/Newegg.
    The thing is I'm not getting any hissing just crackling/popping noises when watching videos or streams and sometimes while gaming but quite less. It seems everytime sound stops and resumes the pop/crack occurs like I can recreate it by turning the volume up and down on the youtube video to consistently recreate it or using the windows sound ring test in the audio device settings.

New ROGer Array

Really Nobody has a solution to this? the issue which seems to be common...

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Buellersdayoff PC Specs
    Buellersdayoff PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus viii Hero
    ProcessorI7 7700k delidded 4.9ghz @ 1.4v
    Memory (part number)Corsair led 4x8gb 3200
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080ti MSI Gaming X
    Sound CardOnboard + Hyperx usb
    MonitorAcer X34 Predator
    Storage #1Samsung 950pro nvme
    Storage #2Samsung 840 ssd + 2tb hdd
    CPU CoolerCryorig R1 Universal
    CaseThermaltake View 31 TG mesh front panel mod
    Power SupplyCorsair rm850x
    Keyboard G910
    Mouse G502
    Headset Hyper x cloud II
    Mouse Pad H440
    Headset/Speakers Edifier R1280t
    OS Win 10
    Network RouterNetgear x8 R8500

Quote Originally Posted by adiwitko View Post
    Really Nobody has a solution to this? the issue which seems to be common...
    Try the latest realtek driver from their website, remove all the rog stuff.
    http://www.realtek.com/downloads/

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Buellersdayoff View Post
    Try the latest realtek driver from their website, remove all the rog stuff.
    http://www.realtek.com/downloads/
    I tried using newest drivers and the still same issue also I'm using an External DAC/AMP which has no issues on other computers same with headphones no issues on other computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Buellersdayoff View Post
    I was running a overclock then when installing a new BIOS update I have my CPU not overclocked and this is the same issue.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Buellersdayoff PC Specs
    Buellersdayoff PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus viii Hero
    ProcessorI7 7700k delidded 4.9ghz @ 1.4v
    Memory (part number)Corsair led 4x8gb 3200
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080ti MSI Gaming X
    Sound CardOnboard + Hyperx usb
    MonitorAcer X34 Predator
    Storage #1Samsung 950pro nvme
    Storage #2Samsung 840 ssd + 2tb hdd
    CPU CoolerCryorig R1 Universal
    CaseThermaltake View 31 TG mesh front panel mod
    Power SupplyCorsair rm850x
    Keyboard G910
    Mouse G502
    Headset Hyper x cloud II
    Mouse Pad H440
    Headset/Speakers Edifier R1280t
    OS Win 10
    Network RouterNetgear x8 R8500

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Vinny1001 PC Specs
    Vinny1001 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
    ProcessorIntel Skylake 6700k 4.0GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 2x 8GB DDR4
    Graphics Card #1Asus STRIX 1080 Ti
    MonitorBenQ XL2411
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Pro, 840 Pro, M.2 840 Evo
    Storage #22x 1TB WD Black
    CPU CoolerCorsair H60
    CaseCorsair Carbide 300R
    Power SupplyEVGA 850 Modular
    Mouse Swiftpoint The Z
    Headset Logitech G240
    Mouse Pad Swiftpoint The Z Mouse Pad
    Headset/Speakers 5.1 Logitech Surround Z506
    OS Windows 10 Pro, version 1703
    Network RouterAsus RT N66U

Glad to hear it sort of helped.

Another thing to consider - your windows version (type "winver" in the start/search in Windows 10) and what version of realtek you have. Maybe BIOS version matters too. I'm on 3504. Many others don't have audio issues and I'm curious if they are on the 2202 (most stable from what I hear).

So that Intel Ethernet driver fixed my issue back before I had the Creators update. Once I updated to the Windows 10 Creators update (1703), I noticed if I had used the same version of realtek that I was using for the previous Win10 Version (1607), that I'd have audio cracks/sync issues across all programs.

I then tried finding a newer version of realtek that was made more for the 1703 version and still didn't help. I then updated to the 1709 Fall Creator update, and still nothing worked. There was a release of realtek version 6.0.1.8302 that for the Fall Creators update, and my audio became better. Less cracks/pops, and audio is in sync across most programs except a few.

I usually follow this:
    https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-ha...r-version.html

And see what the newest audio is from Realtek. Then I search it in the Microsoft official catalog of drivers to verify it and check the column/field "Products" and verify it matches my windows 10 version, which I have the Fall creators update, so I always pick the driver that matches that.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...x?q=6.0.1.8302

The other drivers should really work, and I never had an issue before, but somethings been weird lately and seems like not many are experiencing this issue. I wonder what other versions people have and which realtek.

Looking at the ten-forums, there's a newer version than 8302, so now I'll go search that in the catalog, or just click the link in the forum post that links directly to the catalog.

Since I have the Fall Creators update, I'd want to verify that's there and download that specific one (maybe doesn't make a difference which you download, but just to be safe).

"Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Later Servicing Drivers" is there, so I'll actually download that right now, extract it to a single new folder, then Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers > Realtek High Definition Audio > right click, update driver, browse, and select that new folder and keep the "include subfolders" checked. Click next.

You'll hear the motherboard itself make the "tick" noise as it updates. Now I have 8318 updated. I'll see if my audio issues persist.

All my previous boards were Asus and never had a single issue. With these ones, I have nothing but audio issues. It's a shame for a great performing board.

I highly suggest trying a few more fixes, and if it doesn't work, go to another brand. Asus customer support is horrible beyond my belief too.

If I ever upgrade I will compare benchmarks and if Asus has the best performance, I may try it but if there's a single audio issue I will return it ASAP and get another brand in a heartbeat. It's not worth the audio issues years down the road.

ROG Enthusiast Array Eric_F PC Specs
    Eric_F PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Hero
    ProcessorCore I7 6700K - 4.9GHz OC
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3000C15D-16GVR 16GB (8x2) DDR4-3000
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 1721/1860MHz
    Sound CardOnboard Realtek/ROG SupremeFX
    MonitorDell UltraSharp 1908WFP 19" Widescreen 1440x900 60/75Hz
    Storage #11TB Western Digital Black WD1003FZEX 7500RPM 64MB Cache 6 Gb/s SATA
    Storage #22TB Western Digital Black WD2003FZEX 7500RPM 64MB Cache 6 Gb/s
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i v2
    CaseAntec Nine Hundred (w/ USB 3)
    Power SupplyAntec Edge 650 80+ Gold
    Keyboard Steelseries Apex
    Mouse Steelseries Rival
    Mouse Pad Tandy gray mousepad from the '90s!
    Headset/Speakers AKG K240M studio headphones & Adcom GTP-450 preamp on line-outs
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC3200

I've had a bit of unexplained audio pops/crackles as well on my system recently. Just occasional ticks/pops like dust on an LP record surface, usually just after a sharp audio "transient" pulse, like a heavy drumbeat or strong attack on a particular note, or a sudden increase in volume in spoken dialogue. Always just out of time with the strong audio pulse; It very much sounds like a latency problem. Also, it began just after the Fall Creators Update for Windows 10.

I poked around and checked various settings, made sure all the drivers were up-to-date. Finally, I went into Sonic Studio and tried one thing. I only use a small bit of "Smart EQ" (It's effect kind of like BBE's classic Sonic Maximizer from the early 90's that's still in use today; a little goes a long way...) and all the other effects are turned off. I turned off the "Smart EQ" and then turned OFF the "All Effects" master toggle. Played some music -- no issues where I'd heard them before. Then I turned the "All Effects" toggle ON again, and then turned "Smart EQ" back on. Played the same music -- no clicks/crackles/artifacts anymore.

So, this is one more thing to try -- toggle all Sonic Studio effects off and turn the master toggle off, then back on and turn on your chosen effects again.

My guess is that it toggles some Registry setting that the Fall Creators Update or some Windows patch is handling differently. Toggling the function re-asserts the setting correctly.

Seems to be working for me, at least...
    Motherboard: Maximus VIII Hero
    Processor: I7 6700K - 4.9GHz OC
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i v2
    Memory: G.Skill DDR4-3000 16GB
    Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 1721/1860MHz
    Storage #1: 1TB Western Digital Black
    Storage #2: 2TB Western Digital Black
    Case: Antec Nine Hundred
    Power Supply: Antec Edge 650 80+ Gold

ROG Member Array

ive been having exct same problems downloaded new intel drivers off of the asus maximus hero x download page theres a new version of network driver there this solved the audio poping issues ive been having for months hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast