cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.STL files for the M.2 Fan Holder on Asus's Shapeaways Store

lightknightrr
Level 7
Can we get a link to these files, so we can print the part ourselves? I can't seem to find them. The "Z170 Pro Gaming AURA - M.2 fan holder", which I can find, is NOT the same thing.

A brief history: I ordered one from Asus's store, the thing snapped, I want to print one out of something that will last (I'd use aluminum were that an option).
13 REPLIES 13

unknownmiscrean
Level 8
Is this what you are after?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/3D-Printing/

I don't currently have any software that can open STLs installed (Solid works doesn't open them,) but I remember these parts looking right last time I downloaded them.

Another thing to consider would be the M.2 heatsinks from EKWB.

unknownmiscreant wrote:
Is this what you are after?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/3D-Printing/

I don't currently have any software that can open STLs installed (Solid works doesn't open them,) but I remember these parts looking right last time I downloaded them.

Another thing to consider would be the M.2 heatsinks from EKWB.

Normally, you'd open it with your slicer (whatever slicer your printer uses) such as Cura. The STL files are output files and while supposedly Fusion360 can open/import them, they're not technically meant for that.

SubnetMask wrote:
Normally, you'd open it with your slicer (whatever slicer your printer uses) such as Cura. The STL files are output files and while supposedly Fusion360 can open/import them, they're not technically meant for that.

I don't own a 3D printer. I'm doing an engineering degree, so can ask the rapid prototyping lab at Uni to print me stuff when I need it. That way I get parts done on proper machines rather than the $3000 'toy' printers (as they are talked about by the guy who runs the rapid prototyping lab.)

@lightknightrr Yes I know the 3d builder can open STLs (I have used it in the past,) but I uninstalled it, along with all the other bloatware apps on win 10... xD. I made a power shell script that murders them automatically for me.

Edit: Just in case you were wondering, I also make a habit of murdering the windows store, and its annoying to get back. Not to mention that the system is less stable after you get it back.

lightknightrr
Level 7
Lol. It redirects away from the 3D Printing page when you click the link...

Yeah, that's what I've been looking for. Thank you, was right in my blind spot.

lightknightrr
Level 7
*Double checks* Yeah, 3D Builder (free app from the MS Store) can open the .STL files.

lightknightrr
Level 7
Eh, I can understand that. I normally just kill the annoying apps (why is Disney coming pre-installed on Windows now?), and let Shell Classic hide the rest, until such time as I need one (almost never, but it happens).

As for scripts, I'm still doing the batch thing, but I have one thing that most people lack: a semi-automated magical script that makes (most) 10016 errors go away (by actually granting the right privileges).

unknownmiscrean
Level 8
I have a power shell script that runs this sort of comand:

"Get-AppxPackage *3dbuilder* | Remove-AppxPackage"

It has to be run as an administrator though. What commands do you use?

There really is no reason for win10 to come with that much bloatware installed, and its getting worse. The only way top properly stop mine craft, candy crush and everything else is to uninstall the windows store. I gave up with the classic theme stuff a while ago actually.

Copy the following into a .bat file on your desktop:

set CLSID={C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
set APPID={316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
set HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT_CLSID=HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\
set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_SOFTWARE_CLASSES_APPID=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\
set CLSIDREGPATH=%HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT_CLSID%%CLSID%
set APPIDREGPATH=%HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_SOFTWARE_CLASSES_APPID%%APPID%

reg query %CLSIDREGPATH% /ve
reg query %APPIDREGPATH% /ve

SetACL.exe -on %CLSIDREGPATH% -ot reg -actn setowner -ownr "n:Administrators"

SetACL.exe -on %CLSIDREGPATH% -ot reg -actn ace -ace "n:Administrators;p:full"

SetACL.exe -on %APPIDREGPATH% -ot reg -actn setowner -ownr "n:Administrators"

SetACL.exe -on %APPIDREGPATH% -ot reg -actn ace -ace "n:Administrators;p:full"

echo "Modify the DCOM privileges now."
echo "Hit any key to reset the owner's of the CLSID & APPID registry keys.
pause
SetACL.exe -on %CLSIDREGPATH% -ot reg -actn setowner -ownr "n:NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller"
SetACL.exe -on %APPIDREGPATH% -ot reg -actn setowner -ownr "n:NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller"

pause

The batch file will need to be run as Administrator to work, and you need to copy the proper CLSID & APPID into the 'set' lines before running it.

Once executed, it will swap the permissions on the appropriate keys, so that you (as an Admin) can edit the DCOM object, and add the proper permissions; once you are done editing, you simply hit enter, and it will swap the permissions back (warning: the default swap-back permissions are for TrustedInstaller, modify as needed, this is why we had you check and record the permissions in the registry).

So, once you've executed the script (and the permissions have been swapped so that you, as Admin, can edit DCOM objects), open Component Services. Component Services -> Computers -> My Computer -> DCOM Config. Then select the DCOM object you want to edit (if you know its name, great, if not, you can go one by one looking at the Application ID under Properties (right-click); this is also useful when you have two objects of the same name, like RuntimeBroker, and don't know which one to edit -> just check the Application ID (APPID) for a match.

In any event, having found the DCOM object you want to modify, right-clicking on it to get to Properties, then selecting the Security tab is the next step. Find the right permissions you want to edit, like Launch & Activation Permissions, select Customize (if it hasn't been selected already), then select Edit. Then add the accounts you want to add, with the appropriate permissions.

Some minor important information: you need to re-open Component Services everytime you run the script, as it appears not to reflect live permissions (but only permissions at the time of launch).