cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My G752VS laptop finally acknowledged to be faulty!

Thaladar
Level 7
Greetings, fellow ROG-ers!

Right now, I'm both furious and happy, because I have finally proven my claim that my unit is faulty after nearly half a year! I'll try to make everything shorter than it would be, but please cope with me even if it turns out to be a wall of text, because I cannot contain both excitement and rage I'm feeling at the moment.

Long story short, I had made an initial thread in May: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93251-G752VS-laptop-crashes-gt-SSD-disappears-from-BIOS-De...

As I was saying back then, I suspected that my SSD had died - and I was right. Since I reside in Serbia but made my purchase in Switzerland, I decided to personally take the laptop back to where I bought it (STEG Electronics), and told them of my suspicion regarding the SSD plus all the other issues I was having explained in the first thread. They replaced the SSD and I had the laptop returned to me nearly a month later (it took way too long). However, the initial issues were still present, but at least I had a working laptop with a new SSD, right? By looking at the underside screws, I could clearly tell that they had opened the laptop (likely to look for the issues described in the first thread), but no fix was applied due to one or more reasons. I have a habit (unsure if it's actually good or bad) of testing things as soon as I get them, so I had tested the laptop as soon as I got it back. I had immediately noticed a number of additional issues that I HAD NOT experienced prior to sending the laptop in for repairs. I then described those issues in another thread I made (more than a month after the first one, and after I got the laptop back):

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?94101-G752VS-comes-back-from-a-fix-Gaming-Center-modes-non...

Alright, so I had managed to fix some of those things myself (like the one related to Gaming Center), but the other things still persisted. In addition to them, a WHOLE new set of issues had emerged after I proceeded with testing the laptop:

- The unit was making much more noticeable noise than before, even under practically no load;

- I have found the processor to reach incredibly high temperatures such as 98 (all 4 cores were close to the same temperature) during gaming, and it was clear that the processor was throttling. To make something clear - the highest those temperatures would go would be somewhere around 75, and then suddenly those numbers would easily reach 80+ with simple programs running, such as internet browsing, and all that after having the laptop returned to me. Coincidence? I think not.

- In addition to those high CPU temperatures and loud fans (although the fans would never ramp up to their full speed, despite the emperature constantly sitting at around 85-98 during gaming), the laptop also shut down 2 or 3 times (BSOD), likely to prevent the CPU from melting itself, as my guess is that the temperatures reached 100 (I believe the laptop is programmed to shut down when the temperature hits 100).

- Also, the overall performance of the laptop, especially noticeable during gaming, was very, very poor all of a sudden, and the FPS counter was even dropping down to 17 or so in heavily demanding areas (talking about World of Warcraft in this case), whereas the lowest it would previously go was somewhere around 30-35. Even while the FPS counter was stable (80+), I was still experiencing stuff like micro stuttering. World of Warcraft is not a very demanding game, but I decided to try an even less demanding one - League of Legends. Oddly enough, stuttering was present there as well, despite the FPS counter being somewhere between 160-280 (loose approximation).

- The following had been happening while playing 3 games (Heroes of the Storm, World of Warcraft, Planetside 2): suddenly, at no specific point during the game, the screen (and the sound) would freeze, the screen would go black for a 2-3 seconds, and then a set of graphical anomalies would appear on it - for example, something similar to this, but in a much less intrusive manner: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/upload_2017-4-17_12-11-2-png.86462/

After that, the game would most likely crash, or on rare ocassions, the game would resume. At this point I knew something was fishy, and I suspected a faulty GPU alongside the CPU (since it was overheating and whatnot);

- I had observed that, while playing WoW, for example, the stuttering would intensify upon more demanding tasks (more people, more stuff to render, high amount of spell effects and such). Hell, the CPU had reached 98 even while running SimulationCraft - a text-based application software used to calculate some WoW suff: http://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/596632.jpg (that's how it looks like).

- In games, screen tearing was constantly present, even with G-Sync turned on by default. I tried to combat this by enabling V-Sync in games as well, it did help a little, but the tearing was still very well visible. It also made the overall performance worse by causing the frame rates to dip down more than before. Any clue why this would be happening? (to clarify: this DID NOT happen prior to sending the laptop in for repairs, as most other things I have been mentioning throughout this post);

Having found and experienced this whole new set of problems, I was determined to take the laptop back a second time, and I did, but a few months later because I needed the laptop for some of my university assignments. This time I was not able to personally deliver the laptop, so my uncle did it instead of me. And again it had taken them another month (if not more) to do check-up on my laptop, and what followed had literally STUNNED and ENRAGED me. My uncle called and said the company's technician (STEG Electronics) who looked into my issues reported that the laptop is performing properly, that the temperatures I mentioned are "slightly higher, but nothing to be concerned about, because that's normal." I thought he was trolling me because he sometimes did that. But no, I had soon realized he was dead serious. He said that when he went to pick up the laptop, he personally talked with the technician who worked on it for like half an hour, adding that he seemed to be really knowledgeable about his field of work. Upon asking my uncle how the technician determined that "the laptop was performing optimally", he replied that the technician told him he installed 2 benchmarks (Unigine Valley and Superposition), ran them, and determined that everything was working as intended (???). I mean, SERIOUSLY?! How the **** can you determine all the issues I described by simply doing that?! My uncle said that the technician also said they can further send the laptop to Asus center if so I desire, but that it would be a waste of time since they would say the same thing he did, that the laptop is fully functional (plus I'd have to pay extra for that shipping fee!).

Once I got the laptop back, I ran those benchmarks as well (they remained on the laptop), and even in those you could clearly see the flickering/vibrating textures, especially on distant, thin objects, such as trees, wires, and such. The Superposition benchmark ran so poorly the FPS numbers were so low. In additon, I also installed and ran 3D Mark or Furkmark (not sure which one), and recorded the benchmark score after the test. Much to my surprise, my laptop's score was MUCH LOWER than that of other people with the exact same laptop model, which clearly indicated that there was a problem with my unit (as if there wasn't enough proof already).

Furious, this time I wanted to personally travel to Switzerland (again!) and send them to hell. I asked my uncle for advice, and he said this: "Look, you can send the laptop here again, no problem, but they'll just say the same thing again. Even if you request that the laptop be sent to Asus directly, who guarantees you that they won't just put it in their warehouse, wait a month, and then tell you that Asus looked into it, but that they found no issues with it either". I thought about it for a moment and realized that some people may actually do this. He then continued: "If I were you, I'd try my luck there (Serbia) instead". And so I did.

Yesterday I drove for 4.5 hours to Belgrade, left the laptop in the service company certified by Asus, and asked to talk with one of their technicians. I briefly explained many of my problems and told them that I also have proof in form of screenshots and videos located on my storage drive. I woke up this morning only to find an e-mail from them. They looked into my unit and found that the motherboard is faulty! Can you believe this?! They looked into my laptop the day I left it there, and informed me the next morning, whereas their colleagues in Switzerland took more than a month to do so, and argued that the laptop is working properly. This is outrageous!

Alright, we're getting to the bottom of this. Prior to leaving the laptop in Belgrade, I told them not to fix anything, but to simply document any anomalies, faulty hardware and such because the idea that I have (thanks to my uncle) is to take the laptop back to Switzerland with DOCUMENTED PROOF that the laptop is INDEED FAULTY and demand a fully-working replacement unit, or in case that's not possible, a full refund. Now you'll probably ask me why. Why? I'll tell you why, look at this: The purchase date of the laptop was 7th May. It performed flawlessly for about 2 months, when things started to go haywire. If you count the time from the purchase date until now, you'll see that the laptop's been in my "possession" for around 8 months. Out of those 8 months, the laptop performed normally for only 2 months, which leaves 6 months of time during which it's been faulty. If you subtract the time it had spent in the company's service center back in Switzerland, that leaves me with 4 months during which I've barely been able to use it. I had to return the laptop two times, and only the third time is it getting proper treatment, and here in my home country. I shelled out 2500 CHF for it and I don't intend to just leave it at that. If I wanted a used/refurbished laptop, I would have bought one, but since I wanted a brand new unit and since I decided to spend so much for it, I very much want it to be fully functional, and that's another reason why I don't want to get it fixed but instead request a new unit. Now, tell me, realistically, what are the chances that I get what I want, e.g. a new replacement unit? I phoned my uncle today as soon as I had received the e-mail, and in return, he informed STEG Electronics there. He told them that the laptop's been diagnosed as faulty and that I want a replacement unit or a refund. They told him they need to contact Asus first and that they'll get back to him. I assume we'll get the response by tomorrow.

So, what are your ideas on this?

Sorry for the long post, but I really had to let this all out. It's 05:48 (AM) here now, and I got out of the bed to compile all this information because I couldn't fall asleep for 3 hours... I am deeply troubled by this, perhaps this will help me to get some rest now.

Best regards,
Marco
1 REPLY 1

xeromist
Here in North America the policy is that they will fix it first and replace it if it is unable to be fixed. Any replacement is to be in perfect working order but not necessarily new. It may be a refurbished unit. And there is no provision for a cash buyback that I've ever heard of. That basically doesn't happen other than an organized product recall set up specially with its own rules.

Some of this may differ in your region so you should read your warranty terms. They outline the limits of what your warranty offers. You wouldn't have standing to demand arbitrary remedy outside of what your warranty offers. The only exception I can think of would be if your country has what is sometimes known as a "lemon law" which provides consumers with special legal rights when a product has repeat failures. In that case you could legally demand a refund even if a warranty doesn't explicitly offer one.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…