cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY: Which M.2 512GB SSD to get?

Matt_Eastwood
Level 7
Hey guys, does anybody have a 512 GB (or 500 GB) M.2 SSD (the card ones, not 2.5") in their G751JY? I wanted to replace the pre-installed 256 GB Samsung M.2 SSD with the Intel SSD 600p Series (512GB, M.2 2280 80mm NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D1, TLC):

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167412

It turned out to be incompatible. The BIOS (latest version 211) didn't recognize it. It might be because it's PCIe 3.0? Not sure.

Can you recommend one that works and is still on the market today? Hope you can help. Thanks! 🙂
2 REPLIES 2

JustinThyme
Level 13
G751s do not support NVME unfortunately
This series was introduced when M2 was still in its infancy and NVMe protocol did not yet exist. Its not SATA either.
Your choices are limited to pretty much one drive.
Samsung SM951 AHCI version. There are two versions of the SM951 so make sure you get the right one.
If you already have one just look at the model number on that and change the size part of it and there you go.
They are slim pickings these days, mostly Fleabay or gouging places like servers for less
Your part number is Samsung MZHPV512HDGL
Sorry to say, thats pretty much your only option.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Hey, thanks for that detailed info! I was suspecting something like this 😕 I looked it up and that SSD is cost-prohibitive. I might just go back to a regular 2.5" SSD and take the speed hit in favour of more storage.

Even though this M.2 is supposed to be considerably faster than a conventional SSD on paper, I never really noticed much difference in loading speeds between my laptop and my other PCs with conventional SSDs.