cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install 2 SSD in Dimm-2 Slot

the_avenger
Level 7
I just got 2 toshiba SSD , installed both of them in the dimm-2 slot , only 1 shows up , they both work as i have tried them 1 by 1 , but in the dimm-2 slot system only shows 1 , So how can i get it to reconize the 2nd SSD .

please help .
12 REPLIES 12

JustinThyme
Level 13
Should be plug and play.
Do you have the bottom PCIe slot populated and if so how is it set up?
Double check BIOS setting regarding storage.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

the_avenger
Level 7
i have 2 gpus / zotac amp extreme in slot 1 m then in slot 3 , and a sound blaster pci express card , i have no other nvme drives installed , just installed these 2 today ,1 is being detected other is not , both of them work out of the box . do i have install latest bios or some thing .

Malik
Level 9
I have the same problem. One GPU in first slot, two nvme in dimm.2 and one is working, second no.

What is wrong with this dimm.2 ?

Malik wrote:
I have the same problem. One GPU in first slot, two nvme in dimm.2 and one is working, second no.

What is wrong with this dimm.2 ?

Make sure the NVMe is properly seated in the slot. I have a 1080 in the PCI slot and 3 NVMe in RAID with no issues. The one that is not showing up move it to the slot that seems to be recognized and take the other one out to see if the drive is bad.

vsimone67 wrote:
Make sure the NVMe is properly seated in the slot. I have a 1080 in the PCI slot and 3 NVMe in RAID with no issues. The one that is not showing up move it to the slot that seems to be recognized and take the other one out to see if the drive is bad.

Sorry to jump on your topic but you say you have 3 NVMe in RAID, so the DIMM.2 does support RAID ? is this configured in the BIOS?

tep1981 wrote:
Sorry to jump on your topic but you say you have 3 NVMe in RAID, so the DIMM.2 does support RAID ? is this configured in the BIOS?

Dimm.2 did support RAID but ever since I updated ZE to Bios 1402 for Threadripper 2 support, BIOS no longer recognize Dimm.2 slot 1 and the NVME slot on motherboard. It only recognize the drive on Dimm.2 slot 2.

Here's what I tried, none of them worked.

- Dimm.2 is properly seated
- NVME drives are properly seated
- Cleared CMOS
- Disabled CSM
- Disabled NVME raid
- Re-enabled NVME raid
- Disabled SATA
- Enabled SATA
- Changed SATA raid to AHCI or vice versa
- replaced Dimm.2 card

I tested all the drives on different system and "the only working" Dimm.2 slot 2, they all worked fine. Right now, I'm running Hyper x16 card in PCIEX16_1 + Dimm.2 slot 2 in order to recognize 5 out of 6 of NVME drives. In addition to Dimm.2 nightmare, Hyper x16 card will only recognizes 3 drives if installed in PCIEX16_3 slot, but is able to recognize all 4 drives when installed in PCIEX16_1. Since no one else is reporting the issues I am experiencing after updated bios to 1402, I begin to wonder if my board is dying. I'm now about to give up on it. I've been more stressed with this board more than I enjoyed it.

tep1981 wrote:

That is correct, the motherboard has 3 NVMe slots that you can run RAID in. You need to go in the BIOS and turn NVMe raid on and build your array., There are several posts in this forum that explain how to do it.

In Bios under advanced I went to Advanced\Onboard Devices Configuration and changed "CPU PCIE configuration mode" to x16, x16, x4. Keep in mind if you don't have 44 lanes you will have to take it below that like x16, x8, x4 or x8, x4, x4 ….you get the point. Also depending on what board your using you may only have 2 slots and not 3 like above.

Now if someone can figure out the blasted double boot issue.

Malik
Level 9
Both drives are ok. No problem with them.

The problem is when i put two of this m2 drive into dimm.2, one of them is not visible in bios and system. I update bios to 1004 version, and nothing happend.

I try with other configuration, one drive in dimm.2 and one on motherboard. Now its ok. But when i install two drives into dimm.2, there is problem.
There is no other drives, there is only one GPU in first pcie slot.

Asus X299 Extreme 6
Intel 7800X
Asus 1080TI Poseidon
HyperX 240 Predator
Kingston 240 GB