cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE6 + VROC + SAMSUNG SM961 + 960 PRO + HYPER M.2 X16 Card

fexnok
Level 7
Hi,

I have finally in my hands a VROC Premium key (VROCPREMMOD) but it's been a nightmare.

These are my test scenarios:

- VROC Key + 2x 960 PRO on HYPER M.2 X16 Card
- BIOS CPU VROC Enabled on PCI 3 for HYPER card
- SSD not recognised for RAID

- VROC Key + 2x SM961 on HYPER M.2 X16 Card

- VROC Key + 2x 960 PRO on RAID 0
- 2x SM961 on HYPER M.2 X16 Card
- IRST Enterprise says drives are unsupported

My current config is PCH RAID 0 enabled for SATA (NOT CPU) and 1x960 PRO on DIMM.2 port 1 and 1x960 PRO on M.2 port

I'm using VROC 5.3.0.1413_2017.10.30 from Intel

Tried BIOS 1002, 1003, 1004, no difference.

I've seen in the forum people doing a 90 day RAID 0 config but not sure how.

Any ideas?
19 REPLIES 19

restsugavan
Level 13
fexnok wrote:
Hi,

I have finally in my hands a VROC Premium key (VROCPREMMOD) but it's been a nightmare.

These are my test scenarios:

- VROC Key + 2x 960 PRO on HYPER M.2 X16 Card

- VROC Key + 2x SM961 on HYPER M.2 X16 Card

- VROC Key + 2x 960 PRO on RAID 0
- 2x SM961 on HYPER M.2 X16 Card
- IRST Enterprise says drives are unsupported

* My current config is PCH RAID 0 enabled for SATA (NOT CPU) and 1x960 PRO on DIMM.2 port 1 and 1x960 PRO on M.2 port

I'm using VROC 5.3.0.1413_2017.10.30 from Intel

Tried BIOS 1002, 1003, 1004, no difference.

I've seen in the forum people doing a 90 day RAID 0 config but not sure how.

* * Any ideas?

Trying intel 900p better buddy! *
W11CANARY 26090.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

restsugavan wrote:
Trying intel 900p better buddy! *

When intel launches bigger 900p drives will definitively do 😄

ZollCore_L
Level 7
My r6e config with a hyper m.2 x16 and 2 Intel 600p 512GB functions with a VROC RAID 0. I basically followed the manual's instruction and used the drivers on the supplied USB drive. I didn't notice anything about an expiration/90DAY. Windows claims the hardware doesn't support boot, probably because I need a key yet. This setup makes for a really fast storage drive! The attached compares my solo Samsung EVO 500GB to the m.2 RAID.

Where did you get your key, is it legit?

What size are your SSDs, blowing it up with 1TBs?

ZollCore.L wrote:
My r6e config with a hyper m.2 x16 and 2 Intel 600p 512GB functions with a VROC RAID 0. I basically followed the manual's instruction and used the drivers on the supplied USB drive. I didn't notice anything about an expiration/90DAY. Windows claims the hardware doesn't support boot, probably because I need a key yet. This setup makes for a really fast storage drive! The attached compares my solo Samsung EVO 500GB to the m.2 RAID.

Yep, legit. I got it from a distributor in Austria.

SM961 are 1TB each

ZollCore.L wrote:

Not to skew your benchmark numbers by epic proportions but yeah your benchmarks are skewed by epic proportions with a single 960 pro and blown away by a pair of 900P drives. A single Samsung 960pro writes are faster than two 600p drives reads in raid0 and the reads.....more than double. We wont even go into the decription of the 900p drives in raid0, the graph can do the talking.......

Again not to impugn your drive choice but this is why so many folks are chapped. Why go through all that trouble to by an add in card (M2 X16) to run drives that are generations old and cant come remotely close to the competition? Intel is suppressing the competition purposely. Right now the 900p drives are top dog with 4K performance. but fall behind in the rest. Ideally for my use a pair of 900P drives to operate from and like 4 960 pros for media storage (all large files so 4K performance doenst matter) would be optimal. Imagine the sequential performance of 4 960 pros without a DMI bottleneck? Around 15K on sequential reads.

Anyhow heres my comparisions. Single 960 pro first

2X PCIe 900P drives raid0

crystalmarks

960 pro

2X32GB optane joke HORRBIBLE WRITES!!!!

Single 900P

two 900P drives VROC

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme
Level 13
Only Intel drives are supported and not even all Intel drives.*
Third party drives are only supported on enterprise systems. *
Been a lot of chatter here with this.
Without a key and using only software raid Samsung drives can be raided but have worse results than straight up diskmanager software raid. Also when doing this with the IRSTe software you get a big old “trial version will expire in 90 days” across the top of the screen. *Folks keep referring to an Intel page that does not pertain to X299.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Only Intel drives are supported and not even all Intel drives.*
Third party drives are only supported on enterprise systems. *
Been a lot of chatter here with this.
Without a key and using only software raid Samsung drives can be raided but have worse results than straight up diskmanager software raid. Also when doing this with the IRSTe software you get a big old “trial version will expire in 90 days” across the top of the screen. *Folks keep referring to an Intel page that does not pertain to X299.*

Thanks Justin.

I remember reading in one of your posts that your SSD's were not detected on an specific BIOS version. Which one are you using at the moment?

Weird thing is that Windows show both SM961 without any problems. I could raid them just by using standard windows manager strip functionality

But somehow my 960 PRO RAID 0 gets affected by this? Read transfer rate has been halved.

Just tried disconnecting everything. It seems to be driver related.

fexnok wrote:
Thanks Justin.

I remember reading in one of your posts that your SSD's were not detected on an specific BIOS version. Which one are you using at the moment?

Disks have always been detected, just unsupported in BIOS 1003 and 1004, this is referring to 900P drives. 960 pros were never listed as supported in any bios and several of us have tried and got the same results as you, worse speeds on VROC with a trial period than non VROC with standard windows disk manager raid0.

Read up on the other threads, this has been under debate for a few months now.

As for your key, its not as much as to whether or not its authentic as it is was it made for X299. Several of us have tried keys to no avail. The words VROCSTANMOD or VROCPREMMOD is more of a description than a part number. There are many different keys that fit that same description for many different platforms. Ive personally ordered 3 and tried two, one of the VROCTANMOD keys I ordered showed up and was not a key at all, it was a raid controller. To date Ive seen one user from Dubai post up a working VROCPREMMOD HW key that works and its a different key than you you have posted pictures of. Read your paperwork.....Correct BIOS on SERVER board etc. My first guess......this key will not work.

Intel and ASUS both have confirmed that X299 VROC will not support drives other than Intel (as well as many users before you). Only enterprise solutions will support select 3rd party drives. They have even stated that the 600 and 700 series drives are not supported. Only 3D Xpoint drives aka optane drives. Whats at play here? Simple and to the point......MONEY!! If they allow 3rd party drives to work on a consumer platforms then why spend 10s of thousands on an enterprise solution to do the same thing? They will lose all the enterprise business to HEDT platforms. Secondly what are you going to tell the enterprise customers that just spent all that money to have this technology to work on multiple drives?

Yes Intel is being greedy but in the end Intel did not market VROC to the masses then fail to provide them with a means in which to do it....ASUS did that. Not only the motherboards but the entire premise of the Hyper M2 X16 card. What good is that card if you cant raid 3rd party M2 drives? What are you gonna give up an X16 slot for 128GB of optane drives that are not "Officially support by Intel" as drives, they are meant to be cache. Intel has nothing that will work on the Hyper M2 X16 as marketed. If you toss the heatsink, unplug the fan and connect 4x2.5 inch 900P drives with the U2-M2 cable that will work but thats not what was sold now is it?