cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer shuts off seconds after power on, then resumes

dalega
Level 7
I will apologise in advance for the long first post; I'm going to try and give as much detail as possible so as make it easier to help. I've recently set up a new system, and I believe the following are the key specs:

I'm encountering a frustrating behaviour... the computer shuts off seconds after power on, then resumes from start and breezes through the boot process the second time round. I have done some research to try and resolve the matter, and I stumbled on an old thread on Tom's hardware which perfectly explains my situation. The responses suggest that the issue is one of DRAM configuration in BIOS, and this seems to make sense because:

• If I shut down and cut off power, I get the stop/start boot up behaviour the next time I power up
  • If however I restart (or shut down without cutting off power) the PC, the boot process is normal

While I'm not an IT guy, the above behaviour seems to sit well with a comment from the old thread which suggests
The system tries to boot with values that don't work, fails, and re-tries with "safe" default values.

I have taken note of the mobo codes I get during the failed boots (3E - 14 - 15 - D2 - B5 - AA), all of which I understand are normal. After the computer stops itself on first post-power-off boot and starts again, it again goes through the same codes, and then keeps on going all the way until a successful boot.

I've updated the BIOS to the latest version (1701) but it made no difference. Frustratingly, even though G.Skill state on the product's page that it is on the QVL for this Asus mobo, I checked this against the official QVL list and it is not on the list. The equivalent G.Skill DRAM with 15-15-15-39 timings is on the official QVL, but the 16-16-16-39 is not.

I've been into the BIOS to see if I can manually force the timings settings, and this is where I got stuck. The only place I found timings settings was in the Extreme Tweaker settings; although seeing timings of 15-15-15-39 in the BIOS seemed to confirm my suspicion that my problem is indeed related to the timings, I couldn't find anywhere where I could effect any changes. The "Auto" setting was greyed out, and wouldn't let me edit.

Apologies for the long first post. Any help or suggestion is much appreciated.

David

PS. My system is not overclocked. If I put my post in the wrong section of the forum, could you kindly direct me to the correct section?
0 REPLIES 0