be Quiet Silent Loop 120mm (push-pull)
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ G Skill Trident Z
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Gaming
525 SSD
3TB HDD
Case: Phanteks Evolve Shift
140MM Fan on top as exhaust
120MM Fan on bottom as exhaust

I would like to get my i7-8700K overclocked to 5ghz, Idle temps are 35, Max gaming temps it peaks at 60 (temps spikes down and high) and every program shows something different.

I tried some things with XMP, LLC etc but I can get in bios, but when running stress test it instantly BSOD's. Do I need to try a manual overclock?
25 REPLIES 25

Menthol
Level 14
What motherboard are you using?
Your cooling will be the limiting factor, temps jump us fast under load on these chips

I'm using a ROG Strix z370-I with the last official BIOS update.

Idle it hits around 30-35, gaming max 60.

--------

Quick update:

Updated Bios to the last BETA one 5430, changed settings to manual

Sync all cores to 48, set DRAM to 3200MHZ speed, VCORE on 1.330 Manual mode, LLC on 6, turned off MCE / C states and Speedstep.

Max temp peak was 80, runs around 70 solid most of time.

Di you have i can reach 4.9/5.0?

Menthol
Level 14
Check this thread, Nate is helping someone with 8600K

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98101

Nate152
Hi s4ant0s

I got your message in the other thread, since you started one we can try some things here.

Reset to defaults to rule out ram instability and start from scratch. If you want your cpu to throttle voltage and speed at idle let speed step and the C-states enabled, you can switch to adaptive mode once you find your max overclock.

Reset to defaults (F5) and set:

AI Overclock Tuner to Manual
Sync all cores and set the CPU Core Ratio to 48.
CPU Core/Cache voltage 1.30v
LLC level 6

See how this goes, if it passes the test raise the CPU Core Ratio to 49 and test again.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi s4ant0s

I got your message in the other thread, since you started one we can try some things here.

Reset to defaults to rule out ram instability and start from scratch. If you want your cpu to throttle voltage and speed at idle let speed step and the C-states enabled, you can switch to adaptive mode once you find your max overclock.

Reset to defaults (F5) and set:

AI Overclock Tuner to Manual
Sync all cores and set the CPU Core Ratio to 48.
CPU Core/Cache voltage 1.30v
LLC level 6

See how this goes, if it passes the test raise the CPU Core Ratio to 49 and test again.

Hey mate,

Thanks a lot. I think I have a bad chip unfortunately.... 1.30/1.34 it will not stress / bench mark.. I currently can run 4.8 GHZ without any throttel, dit IXTU for 30 min see screenshots below:

Settings in BIOS 5430 at the moment:
AVX at 0, LLC on 6, cpu core/cache limit max on max
Vcore op 1.35
Long duration package power limit on max 255.50
short duration package power limit on max 255.50
https://imgur.com/a/jZ8xh

https://imgur.com/a/mjrBz

Do you think I can reach 5ghz? Peak is 88, but it is around 68-74 most of the time.

Nate152
1.35v looks to be it, anymore and you'll start thermal throttling.

I would agree, it looks like you didn't do well with the silicon lottery, even with better cooling you'll be hard pressed to hit 5.0GHz with your cpu.

You could always delid your cpu, this will drop temps 15c - 20c and may let you hit 5.0GHz.

Have you switched to adaptive mode ?

Nate152 wrote:
1.35v looks to be it, anymore and you'll start thermal throttling.

I would agree, it looks like you didn't do well with the silicon lottery, even with better cooling you'll be hard pressed to hit 5.0GHz with your cpu.

You could always delid your cpu, this will drop temps 15c - 20c and may let you hit 5.0GHz.

Is there a big difference in FPS regarding to 4.8 - 5.0 ghz?

Do you think 4.9 will be reachable? The IXTU makes it peak much higher in temps then in gaming?

Shall I try to go for 1.36/1.37 for 4.9Ghz?

I tried basic settings for 1.30 vcore etc, but running stress test just bsod's me. Not sure if I can swap the i7-8700k here in Holland. Still a lot of delivery problems.

Nate152
Naa, you won't notice much of a performance increase going from 4.8GHz to 5.0GHz, maybe a frame or two depending on the game.

You'd see a bigger performance gain overclocking your gpu, around 10 FPS at 1440p.

Nate152 wrote:
Naa, you won't notice much of a performance increase going from 4.8GHz to 5.0GHz, maybe a frame or two depending on the game.

You'd see a bigger performance gain overclocking your gpu, around 10 FPS at 1440p.

Do you think a 1.38/1.39 Vcore will be too much to get 4.9 or 5ghz stable?

I already OC'd my GPU