cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith Extreme 1950X freezing at stock speeds

Rawk01
Level 7
Hi all,

I am not yet overclocking anything, but I'm having problems stable at stock speeds and running the ram at 2133, but I don't think the memory is the problem. I have run memtest86 on the RAM over night with no problems.

Setup

Windows 10 Pro x64

• Asus ROG Zenith Extreme
  • Threadripper 1950X
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2, 80+ TITANIUM 1000W
  • G.SKILL F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR Trident Z RGB Series 32 GB
  • Enermax elc-lttr360-tbp liqtech TR4
  • BIOS: 804

HDDS

• 1x Samsung 960 PRO NVMe 512GB (in the m.2 slot under the heatsink on the m/b)
  • P1 1x 120 GB SSD Samsung 840 EVO boot drive (C:) in SATA slot 1
  • P2 1x 512 GB SSD Samsung 840 EVO
  • P3 1x HGST 4TB Sata drive
  • P4 1x 512 GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO

I have tried 2 different graphics cards (a really, really old one I had knocking around, and a HD6450) – I’m not planning on upgrading the gfx until later (this is a workstation build first for work, then gaming rig early next year). I do have a 1050Ti in my other machine though so could try that out.

After a reasonably random time I get either a freeze (system just hangs) or a BSOD (not so often - but its a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT which may hint at CPU or drivers). Mostly freezes.

If I watch the CPU temperature on the LCD readout on the board, it is idle at 25 degrees C.

I have tried Prime95 and it seems happy to run with CPU temps maxed at 56 degrees.

At idle, every now and then the CPU temp will rise to around 40 degrees and then fans cut in and it goes back down to 25.
After a random amount of time (10 mins or maybe 30 mins) sometimes the CPU goes up to 40, if i move the mouse at this point, it will move on the screen then everything freezes. The CPU temp stays at 40 and the fans kick in and then it just stays like that until I press the reset button.

I have tried BIOS 701, 801 and 804.

I have tried removing all but 1 RAM stick (in the correct slot), same problem. Tried different sticks in that slot, same problem.
I have tried the 960 PRO NVMe on its own, (all other HDDs disconnected from SATA) same problem.
I have tried the 120 SSD on its own, same problem.

The only thing left I have to check is to take off the LIQTECH TR4 block and check that the thermal paste applied okay, but I can’t imagine there will be a problem there.

Assuming that looks okay – I’m ready to send something back! But what do I send back?! Motherboard or CPU….

Or is there anything else I should try?

Any advice greatly appreciated
7 REPLIES 7

masterac
Level 8
i don't know how you could be at 25 degree with a 1950x, i use close to 700 euro of watercooling gear and my temp from amd soft put the cpu at 30-34 at idlle, so first are you sure you run that low ?

That's just what it says (I'm looking directly at the LCD on the motherboard for these figures). Don't know how accurate those figures are though tbh.

During several rounds of Windows 10 reinstalls it was at 23 degrees yesterday! Perhaps this is a sign that something is wrong though?

I've had different temps ranges at different BIOS versions as well.

Just going to post a link to resolution for this (BIOS issue, must have been corrupted):

http://www.overclock.net/t/1643791/zenith-extreme-1950x-freezing-at-stock-speeds

I followed the instructions, and all sorted, still running really cool (26 idle), but i'm not overclocking anything yet (memory at 3200 though), but maybe that reading isn't very accurate anyway? I'm not too worried now as it isn't crashing all the time :cool:

SimoneTek
Level 7
Rawk01 wrote:
Hi all,

I am not yet overclocking anything, but I'm having problems stable at stock speeds and running the ram at 2133, but I don't think the memory is the problem. I have run memtest86 on the RAM over night with no problems.

Setup

Windows 10 Pro x64

• Asus ROG Zenith Extreme
  • Threadripper 1950X
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2, 80+ TITANIUM 1000W
  • G.SKILL F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR Trident Z RGB Series 32 GB
  • Enermax elc-lttr360-tbp liqtech TR4
  • BIOS: 804

HDDS

• 1x Samsung 960 PRO NVMe 512GB (in the m.2 slot under the heatsink on the m/b)
  • P1 1x 120 GB SSD Samsung 840 EVO boot drive (C:) in SATA slot 1
  • P2 1x 512 GB SSD Samsung 840 EVO
  • P3 1x HGST 4TB Sata drive
  • P4 1x 512 GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO

I have tried 2 different graphics cards (a really, really old one I had knocking around, and a HD6450) – I’m not planning on upgrading the gfx until later (this is a workstation build first for work, then gaming rig early next year). I do have a 1050Ti in my other machine though so could try that out.

After a reasonably random time I get either a freeze (system just hangs) or a BSOD (not so often - but its a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT which may hint at CPU or drivers). Mostly freezes.

If I watch the CPU temperature on the LCD readout on the board, it is idle at 25 degrees C.

I have tried Prime95 and it seems happy to run with CPU temps maxed at 56 degrees.

At idle, every now and then the CPU temp will rise to around 40 degrees and then fans cut in and it goes back down to 25.
After a random amount of time (10 mins or maybe 30 mins) sometimes the CPU goes up to 40, if i move the mouse at this point, it will move on the screen then everything freezes. The CPU temp stays at 40 and the fans kick in and then it just stays like that until I press the reset button.

I have tried BIOS 701, 801 and 804.

I have tried removing all but 1 RAM stick (in the correct slot), same problem. Tried different sticks in that slot, same problem.
I have tried the 960 PRO NVMe on its own, (all other HDDs disconnected from SATA) same problem.
I have tried the 120 SSD on its own, same problem.

The only thing left I have to check is to take off the LIQTECH TR4 block and check that the thermal paste applied okay, but I can’t imagine there will be a problem there.

Assuming that looks okay – I’m ready to send something back! But what do I send back?! Motherboard or CPU….

Or is there anything else I should try?

Any advice greatly appreciated

I have the same problem about cpu temp!!

First the temp was 27 degress (with a Ekwb XE480mm radiator) and Now cpu temp are form 30 to 42 in idle (full load are the same, Max 60). I Think that the faults is the sensor of Asus Zenith, infact Now the Live dash work... i Think that this are the excatly temperature about us Threadripper

Story for my English, i'm italian

Are you using Stilts MEM preset?

Are you running the latest BIOS? 902

SimoneTek wrote:
I have the same problem about cpu temp!!

First the temp was 27 degress (with a Ekwb XE480mm radiator) and Now cpu temp are form 30 to 42 in idle (full load are the same, Max 60). I Think that the faults is the sensor of Asus Zenith, infact Now the Live dash work... i Think that this are the excatly temperature about us Threadripper

Story for my English, i'm italian

Ek wb is horrible contact ek support and return it asap

http://www.overclock.net/forum/18067-ek-water-blocks/1641169-ek-threadripper-not-doing-well.html

New installation and completely unplayable due to issues when moving the mouse.
On menus or anything else where the mouse is a pointer, slow movements will work for a short while, and then fast movements will cause the pointer to freeze for up to several seconds before jumping to the new position.
In Google Browser or any other Browser just surfing the internet with 1 or 20 Tabs open response to mouse movements is severely lagged .
I've check the internet but nothing about this issue.
I done Bios Upgrade, NVM Upgrade all drives to the lasted upgrade.
Memtest86 all 4 passed i took a picture but didnt save on my phone.
Please check the following pictures and let me know what i need to do next. Thank You!