cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Tactic Pro dim backlight

numeprenume
Level 7
Since upgrading the firmware to 1.08.10_V45, my LED backlight has stopped working properly. It's very dim (like on the normal lowest setting, but it's like that when it's set to the highest brightness) and, rarely, it starts working properly again only to later return to the previous state. My Windows key has also stopped working since this upgrade. Does anyone have a solution? I've contacted Asus and they told me to downgrade, but the previous firmwares have the macro cover bug where you can't use the Fn keys when you have the cover on and I can't find the files anyway.

Edit: tried downgrading, it only fixed the Windows key. Backlight issue still remains.
5 REPLIES 5

Bill
Level 7
Hello numeprenume
I don't know what went wrong. I would suggest to RMA your unit if you are unsure what to do next.
Thank you

AU-user
Level 7
Same problem. Keyboard is near useless not in open daylight.

tried to restore drivers, reinstall, different PC's, it pretty much ruined.

AU-user wrote:
Same problem. Keyboard is near useless not in open daylight.

tried to restore drivers, reinstall, different PC's, it pretty much ruined.

Mine randomly fixed itself today, but decided to stop working properly again once I tried adjusting the intensity. Makes me think it's a firmware bug, but we probably won't get any new firmware updates, so I guess I'll submit a warranty claim.

I have the the keyboard for a year now and for some reason I started having the issue and it randomly fixed itself untill it started having the issue again. Has anyone found a fix for this yet ?

ALEXjma wrote:
I have the the keyboard for a year now and for some reason I started having the issue and it randomly fixed itself untill it started having the issue again. Has anyone found a fix for this yet ?

Unfortunately there's no software fix, it's a hardware issue. On the back side of the PCB, just above the connector is the LED driver section.

https://i.imgur.com/nkbq9kb.jpg
R172 (the larger one) gets really hot, which (I think) eventually damages the solder joints. I managed to fix mine by re-soldering the resistor, but the issue came up again after just a couple of months. Replacing the resistor with a pair of resistors in parallel would probably fix it. When I get my hands on a soldering iron I'll try that and report back.