cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable printing on RT-AC88U - Please fix this ASUS

SherardG
Level 7
Hello ASUS Reps,

I would just like to bring to your attention, documented issues on the ASUS EZ-Printer Sharing feature that you bundle with your router.

The executable file works like a charm... As long as your router has freshly booted up. Once you run it for more than 24 hours, the printer won't work any more, nothing would sync, and when you try the software on a different device, it would say that no printer was found supporting the functionality, even if you were able to print almost 300 pages with a cartridge swap in between, less than 24 hours ago.

I've had to set the printer into LPR just so I could use it again.

Why do I have to exert this effort when I paid top dollar for this router? (Official price of ASUS Concept store is at USD330)

Thanks for patching a ton of vulnerabilities this past week though.
4 REPLIES 4

SherardG
Level 7
Well... No updates? I wouldn't go to the forums if the "technical support team" actually had any technical know-how. It seems that our in-house forum moderators and ASUS reps are the only ones who have any idea on what their customers are talking about. It's sad for a company that targets the enthusiast community 😞

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi SherardG,

Have you already tried calling the support number (1-812-282-2787) or emailed the networking team directly (Networking_Support@asus.com)?
I've got the networking team looking at it, please private message me your PC specs, OS version, and list of devices connected to the RT-AC88U. Replication may be needed.

Print 300 pages?! Is the router used for a small business environment?

JustinThyme
Level 13
Are you using a USB printer plugged into the router or using a network printer that gets its own IP address and is wired or wireless and serves as its own print spooler?
Thing is you cant pin it on only the router either way, This could be a printer issue.
Me, I gave up on the printers that plug into the router or wireless print servers or even wireless AP used as a print server. partially because of the same issues you are citing and the fact that my printer is not now nor has it ever been in close proximity to my router. I use only those that are stand alone and a network device like everything else and the only thing they get from the router is connectivity and traffic control. Advanced printers are dirt cheap these days. Im running a brother color laser all in one that has run connected to a 68U. AC5300 and now on a Netgear X10 (sorry ASUS, you are lagging behind the times and I needed SFP+ that ASUS does not offer).

My connection to broadband is via Cat6 to the Verizon OND. Then to the Verizon gateway which has a DMZ setup for my Netgear router (previously my AC5300 was set up the same way. The router is set up where its its in the middle of the house, mounted to the wall on the stairway going to the basement with its WAN coming back upstairs to the Verizon Gateway. On the lan side there are a few Cat 6 cables that come back up to my entertainment center to the TV, ROKU, Set top box and bluray player. Then the SFP+ fiber goes to a netgeaar 8 Port managed switch. That same switch has two SFP+ so the other goes to my NAS with Cat 6 cables that come back up to my entertainment center to the TV, ROKU, Set top box and bluray player and a cat seven making the trip up to the second floor to another 8 port switch that has 2 10GBe connections. One for the connection downstairs and the other to my RVIE machine. The remaining ports for various other connecitons like the NMC card for my UPS, My work laptop, G752 when home, and MS surface dock and brother printer. I could all of these devices wirelessly but why when I have a switch right there thats 1GB connection for most and 10GB for my RVIE machine.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Hi SherardG,

Have you already tried calling the support number (1-812-282-2787) or emailed the networking team directly (Networking_Support@asus.com)?
I've got the networking team looking at it, please private message me your PC specs, OS version, and list of devices connected to the RT-AC88U. Replication may be needed.

Print 300 pages?! Is the router used for a small business environment?

Replied, thanks MasterC! I forgot to indicate printer model, it's an HP DeskJet 2130 model AIO Printer, drivers installed and configured, and it was working fine from any device in the network when I first bought the router. It's connected via the USB 2.0 port at the back (used to be in the front, no difference)

I got it to work by configuring it on LPR.

JustinThyme wrote:
Are you using a USB printer plugged into the router or using a network printer that gets its own IP address and is wired or wireless and serves as its own print spooler?
Thing is you cant pin it on only the router either way, This could be a printer issue.
Me, I gave up on the printers that plug into the router or wireless print servers or even wireless AP used as a print server. partially because of the same issues you are citing and the fact that my printer is not now nor has it ever been in close proximity to my router. I use only those that are stand alone and a network device like everything else and the only thing they get from the router is connectivity and traffic control. Advanced printers are dirt cheap these days. Im running a brother color laser all in one that has run connected to a 68U. AC5300 and now on a Netgear X10 (sorry ASUS, you are lagging behind the times and I needed SFP+ that ASUS does not offer).

My connection to broadband is via Cat6 to the Verizon OND. Then to the Verizon gateway which has a DMZ setup for my Netgear router (previously my AC5300 was set up the same way. The router is set up where its its in the middle of the house, mounted to the wall on the stairway going to the basement with its WAN coming back upstairs to the Verizon Gateway. On the lan side there are a few Cat 6 cables that come back up to my entertainment center to the TV, ROKU, Set top box and bluray player. Then the SFP+ fiber goes to a netgeaar 8 Port managed switch. That same switch has two SFP+ so the other goes to my NAS with Cat 6 cables that come back up to my entertainment center to the TV, ROKU, Set top box and bluray player and a cat seven making the trip up to the second floor to another 8 port switch that has 2 10GBe connections. One for the connection downstairs and the other to my RVIE machine. The remaining ports for various other connecitons like the NMC card for my UPS, My work laptop, G752 when home, and MS surface dock and brother printer. I could all of these devices wirelessly but why when I have a switch right there thats 1GB connection for most and 10GB for my RVIE machine.

Like I replied earlier, it used to work, now it's not working any more. It's not the only issue with the router, there was this other thing when it was newly purchased that bandwidth effectively runs at 20% speed, then when I connect to the fiber modem, I get the full speed there. I had to disable a lot of features I wanted to be able to use on this router to be able to get 100% of what I am paying for re: internet speed.

You sure have your home set up quite nicely, I would love to do a project as extensive as that, but not everyone in my home would be able to make use of it.