Intel 7980XE
Intel SSD 900P 480gb
Samsung SM863 2tb
WD Gold 10TB x4 (RAID 10)
Megaraid 9361-8i
AMD Vega FE
64GB Trident Z RGB, DDR4 3600MHz, CL17
+ custom WC loop

I have never experienced so much trouble than from this MB.

Bios 0802 is causing random lockups (every 15-30min) and gets stuck on the boot
Bios 1002 can't shutdown (goes to just back to login screen and gets stuck on the book, so this is not viable option too.
Bios 1004 "works" but it still has stability problems. It hangs and gets stuck on boot "only" every few days and it wont overclock as well as in 1002 (event with everything in stock, no overclocking or XMP).

...then we get to Fall Update compatibility issues, well I have tried to install different W10 builds on every bios version (except 1003 as it has same problems as 0802 and 1002). After 20-30 installs the conclusion is that board is not compatible with the Fall Update on any bios versions OR any driver versions available OR any ISO versions from the MS (September and November versions).

Immediately after clean install Edge freeze while browsing, explorer hangs when creating shortcut to the desktop... so basically windows build 1709 is not usable. Some times I got usable Windows when I upgraded from the 1703 to 1709 but still I'm not too confident on this route also as I got random problems also which are not present on 1703.

Only stable version for me is currently 1703. I have tested with other cpu and memory with the same results.

I noticed that all these issues were quite wide spread as other complain from the same issues (here and other forums) and latest posts from the MS support forum is not encouraging as they blame Asus from their broken bios.

...then all this with failed VRM cooler design is enough.

Even thought all these problems (well except the VRM design) are correctable by the future BIOS updates I'm going to RMA this board and send it back.
Asus lost my faith and soon going to test Asrock Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 XE.

I have never seen this broken flagship MB from Asus. It's quite a mystery how they release the product when they must have known in advance that their BIOS is not stable enough. I'm not going to be beta tester with the workstation which I should work and rely on my daily work.

End of RANT.
38 REPLIES 38

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
As you've already made up your mind, there's no need to probe you with questions. However:

1) There are users running those MS builds (including Insider Previews) without the problems you are having

2) All the other issues sound like instability, or an underlying issue with the system and/or configuration rather than a fault with the motherboard. I would recommend in future possibly using a system integrator if these things are giving you this much trouble.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:

1) There are users running those MS builds (including Insider Previews) without the problems you are having

I'm not saying that everyone got problems with the fall update, but it's quite significant problem as this issue has been raised multiple times here and ms support forums with official MS responding that Asus has broken BIOS.

2) All the other issues sound like instability, or an underlying issue with the system and/or configuration rather than a fault with the motherboard. I would recommend in future possibly using a system integrator if these things are giving you this much trouble.

Stability issues are by the bios are also reported here multiple times, if clean install of the os can't stay up then no one can't help until the bios is fixed. I have build my workstations for the last 20 years and this is the first time I have ever encountered this much trouble. I do also blame on MS for bringing those updates which causes lot of other problems and this has got worse when MS moved to semiannual releases (latest Fall Update caused lot of 3rd party software issues).

grayl wrote:
I'm not saying that everyone got problems with the fall update, but it's quite significant problem as this issue has been raised multiple times here and ms support forums with official MS responding that Asus has broken BIOS.

Stability issues are by the bios are also reported here multiple times, if clean install of the os can't stay up then no one can't help until the bios is fixed. I have build my workstations for the last 20 years and this is the first time I have ever encountered this much trouble. I do also blame on MS for bringing those updates which causes lot of other problems and this has got worse when MS moved to semiannual releases (latest Fall Update caused lot of 3rd party software issues).

I will add that I have had issues with the fall creators update as well not allowing for shutdown. Not sure if it board related but I decided to stick with 1703 for now until it matures and things get sorted. Working fine on 1703 with no issues.
RVIE X299 System:
Windows 10 Prof 64-bit | Intel Core i9 7900x | ASUS Rampage VI Extreme | Corsair AX 1200i PSU
Corsair 900D | 32 GB 3200 G.SKILL Trident RGB Series | RTX 3090/EVGA GTX 1080 | Acer X34 Predator Monitor
Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive
Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup

mpoffo wrote:
I will add that I have had issues with the fall creators update as well not allowing for shutdown. Not sure if it board related but I decided to stick with 1703 for now until it matures and things get sorted. Working fine on 1703 with no issues.

I like how you attribute all issues to the Mobo. I agree the rampage VI effects windows (10) ina few weird ways. It amazes me that you didn't ... go into the OS settings and immediately blame the bios as well. So I fixed every issue you're talking a bout by.. you know - looking it up on google. The not shutting down thing did have me worried but why don't you check out sleep/power advanced settings and disable hybrid mode and allowing things to wake the PC up. Good luck - maybe don't blame the mobo for the OS's issues.

JustinThyme
Level 13
The fail to shut down is not a BIOS issue, thats FC update.

1703 is the latest stable non problematic OS. 1709 is problematic for a lot of platoforms. Im on 1703 and staying there.

0802 has known issues with the 7980 CPUs, works fine on the 7900X. When this board first rolled out there were no retail 7980s.
For someone with this much experience I would think you would take time to go one thing at a time and not jump into so many variables at once. I would also expect you would know that you can run older versions of Windows and older builds of win 10.

Whats wrong with the VRMs? Are you experiencing over heating. All X299 manufacturers had VRM issues early on. They have since corrected them.

Edge freezing is not the MOBO in the least. I dont understand using something that has had and continues to have issues. Use a reputable browser, Chrome, Firefox, Opera to name a few. Edge is a junk refresh of IE that is actually worse as they tried to make something that doesnt work in the first place perform even more tasks.

Before jumping ship you should read other forums of the other manufacturers first. They all have one issue or another. Most of this is just growing pains you will experience from being an early adopter of any technology.

RMA does not mean you get a refund.
you should check with whoever you bought he board from and check their return policy. Some have no returns, some have 14 days and some have 30 days. None go past 30 days.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Brighttail
Level 11
I would go to 1002 and use the work around in the Power Options and do the shut down fix that is well documented in these forums and on Google.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Brighttail wrote:
I would go to 1002 and use the work around in the Power Options and do the shut down fix that is well documented in these forums and on Google.

Shut down fix is rather easy, disable fast start up.....done.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Shut down fix is rather easy, disable fast start up.....done.

When you buy the most expensive X299 board and install the latest BIOS from the web site (1002) which causes shutdown problem is not OK. Even that you easily find the resolution from the forums.

When BIOS is causing this basic problems, the probability of having some more serious issues are very high (as what I'm experiencing), as a software developer I'm amazed with the quality of the BIOS. There is nothing you can defend on Asus on it, if you buy a new car which you can't turnoff or star do you think it's a acceptable? Do you think it's acceptable that you need to read forums and do some workarounds on very basic function? Asus rushed unfinished product (BIOS is possible to upgrade, but it needs stable enough for the release), simple as that. People should return and RMA their boards to put pressure to Asus and not accept this situation.

Sorry, but honestly I have last seen this kind of problems when I was running Windows 95 (I'm not kidding) but in 2017 you can't shutdown the computer from the latest BIOS without workarounds... It's good that some are happy with the board 😄

grayl wrote:
When you buy the most expensive X299 board and install the latest BIOS from the web site (1002) which causes shutdown problem is not OK. Even that you easily find the resolution from the forums.

When BIOS is causing this basic problems, the probability of having some more serious issues are very high (as what I'm experiencing), as a software developer I'm amazed with the quality of the BIOS. There is nothing you can defend on Asus on it, if you buy a new car which you can't turnoff or star do you think it's a acceptable? Do you think it's acceptable that you need to read forums and do some workarounds on very basic function? Asus rushed unfinished product (BIOS is possible to upgrade, but it needs stable enough for the release), simple as that. People should return and RMA their boards to put pressure to Asus and not accept this situation.

Sorry, but honestly I have last seen this kind of problems when I was running Windows 95 (I'm not kidding) but in 2017 you can't shutdown the computer from the latest BIOS without workarounds... It's good that some are happy with the board 😄

Keep cool down buddy. I used RAMPAGE Series for a long times ago. RAMPAGE is RAMPAGE styles.

I think on RAMPAGE VI Extreme timeline period there are more challenge to many board manufactures.
The flagship Core i9 7980XE released beyond many boards arrived to market. Some boards couldn't working withit day one.

My system had that problem too. However with 0802 bios flashback and replace PSU (AX1200i) with the new one.
It is OK! and running great.

The situation was not like normal pattern according to former flagship CPU from Intel like 3960X 5960X which pre-release before many manufactures had
release their X79/X99 boards to market or same timeline with it.

At this position we stayed. All of X299 board has issue Intel SA-00086 vulnerable and waiting to fix by all manufactures. The 1004 BIOS is not represent
final performance of Core i9 7980XE on every boards on market. In my test the new Intel ME 11.11.50.1422 was better multi-core scaling than what
11.10.0.1287 on default ASUS and other manufactures use it.

According from former ASUS Rampage Series since X58 chipset. BIOS 2000+ Series of those platform (X58/X79/X99) was the best optimal performance
for it. For RAMPAGE VI EXTREME now we'd only going first step. Please waiting to touch the amazing performance of RAMPAGE you'll be see.
W11CANARY 26085.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X