cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatically turn on pc

romax
Level 7
hey guys..

does any of you know if its possible to turn on my pc automatically? i dont mean after a power outage.

i have power for my music studio running from a apc ups, when i turn this on all my equipment goes on automatically.
im wondering if there is a way to do this with my pc?

windows 10 64 bit
Intel Haswell-E 6-Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 15M/LGA2011-v3
Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1 X99 (DDR4) (LGA 2011-v3)
HyperX Savage 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2400 HX424C14SBK2/32
1TB SATA III SSD
PHANTOM 410 ENTHUSIAST MIDI TOWER CASE
5 REPLIES 5

Eleiyas
Level 10
Well, interesting question.

Most motherboards have a special pin where you plug-in the power-on button.

I'm honestly not sure how it could be done, but maybe if there were a cable coming from your UPS, that would slot onto this pin and generate the exact right amount of voltage, it might be feasible that when you switch on said UPS, your PC would also come on automatically.

Or maybe someway to make it so that as soon as the power supply of the computer got power from the UPS, the PC would then start up (bypassing the power button).

JustinThyme
Level 13
Am I understanding that you are turning the UPS off and on?
This is not good for your UPS, specifically the batteries, I just happen to be an engineer for Schneider Electric in the critical power division. Schneider owns APC, this is one of the platforms I represent. A UPS is meant to stay on, hence Uninterruptible Power Supply. I would find another way to switch power for your connected devices if that's that desired operation. Also be aware that the UPS warranty of connected devices does not apply when the UPS is off.

There are lots of ways to autostart a PC with wake commands like wake on LAN. This however requires that you don't take power away from it at any point.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme
Level 13
UPdate
I ran across a Network management card that will work with some UPS's that have contact closures. The caveat is the cheapest on it will work with is about $1500 USD.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

davemon50
Level 11
If I understand what you want to do, you can turn on your computer automatically at a preset time, if that's what you are asking. I do that every weekday with my laptop for work, it starts about 15 minutes before I arrive.

With your motherboard, you would do that in the BIOS, under your Advanced > APM settings. Look for Power On by RTC, enable it, and change the settings.
Davemon50

thanks a buncho for the replies..

Eleiyas wrote:

Or maybe someway to make it so that as soon as the power supply of the computer got power from the UPS, the PC would then start up (bypassing the power button).

yeah something like that is what im looking for, i never heard of the pin/voltage option but it sounds safer to just turn the pc on manually for me 😉

JustinThyme wrote:
Am I understanding that you are turning the UPS off and on?
There are lots of ways to autostart a PC with wake commands like wake on LAN. This however requires that you don't take power away from it at any point.

No, the ups stays on, its just stops feeding the outlets so to speak.
http://www.apc.com/shop/fi/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-SRT-2200VA-230V/P-SRT2200XLI

could you tell me more about wake on lan please?

JustinThyme wrote:
UPdate
I ran across a Network management card that will work with some UPS's that have contact closures. The caveat is the cheapest on it will work with is about $1500 USD.

do you mind if i don't answer this? 😉

davemon50 wrote:
If I understand what you want to do, you can turn on your computer automatically at a preset time

no i come to the studio at random hours and i'm looking into a 1 switch turns on all equipment incl. pc typa situation.

this is completely a luxury situation..
yes i can turn on my pc pretty easy, i was just wondering if there is a way and thought perhaps it's a 'known' thing by heavy users.

i was also thinking that it might be the best way for a pc to have a power source 'open' all the time and just run electricity through it at will.

thanks again you all!