cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After a Maximus motherboard

will_s
Level 7
Very very unhappy with my Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7 (only got it because I scored a cheap Aorus GPU) so am going to switch motherboards. At the moment thinking about the Maximus Apex but not sure:

1/ Do the Maximus X motherboards have any problems with NVNe M.2 drives ? The Gigabyte BIOS wont detect my drive and their lame reply is to contact Samsung ( the brand of my 950 ).

2/ Have 4x8GB 2666 Dominator Memory sticks so maybe sell them and get either 2 x 8gb 3200 or 2 x16gb 3200 memoery sticks. Suggestions ?

3/ I realise z370 is relatively new but Gigabyte support totally sucks. So how is Asus support ?

4/ Have an old hero xi still chugging away without problems and my strix that I sold had the NVMe M.2 working . I hear that Aura isnt that stable but is Aura availabe in the BIOS like Fusion for my Aorus Mobo? and yes, Fusion and other Gigabyte apps are part of the reason I am dumping this mobo. So basically how are the Rog apps?

I will be o/c up to 4.8 ( have a i7 8700k ) using as Corsair H115i and I see the Apex has cool "insert name for electircal" stuff
will
7 REPLIES 7

Menthol
Level 14
X Apex has no issue with 950 pro here, I have 2 on the DIMM.2 board not in Raid.
The lighting app is getting better but partly due to different manufacturers and not the best standards there are a few issues, you can either turn on or off in bios
Unless you need 32 GB for some reason stick to the 8GB modules they have less issues hitting higher clocks, GSkill is my preferred brand, running 4226 mhz kit without issue
Plenty of friendly help in these forums, manufacturer support so so
The quality of Intel CPU's is the biggest factor in overclocks but 4.8 is pretty easy
Come back and let us know how it goes

at the moment considering the Hero as well as the Apex
will

Menthol
Level 14
Another good board 🙂

G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C17D-16GTZ 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz DDR4

gets a good review and is part of the QVL list

So its 32gb 2666 Corsair v the above and I guess that will mean either the hero or apex

or it might even come down to a simple thing like I like the enclosed backplate of the hero and other maximus mobos and its strange that the apex does have this...ie. has a seperate backplate
will

Menthol
Level 14
RAM is costly at this time so your budget may determine which kit
I have a 3200 c14 and 3600 c16 kit, they both will overclock to the same speed so if you can purchase the 3200 c14 kit for same or less price than the 3600 c17 kit, that would be the better purchase IMO

will_s
Level 7
well its ordered...........the prices between the 3200 and 3600 was small and G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C17D-16GTZ 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz DDR4 had a good review online so ordered that and the Apex...........but strangely the ETA for the motherboard has changed from 24hrs to unknown
will

will_s
Level 7
well sadly have cancelled my purchase as the 24 - 48 hrs turned into eta unknown

so will wait until next year to see how things go.............maybe ver 2 motherboards and more advanced BIOS and Asus apps will be available by then
will