cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apex or Extreme for i9 7900X @5,0 GHz

NotSoFunnyClown
Level 9
Hi,

i want to get an RVI Extreme or Apex. The Extreme looks a bit nicer than the Apex but the Apex does have better OC headroom as i read in many reviews.
The board will get an pre-selected and delidded i9 7900X @5,0 GHz and an EKWB monoblock with an 560mm radiator.

My question is:

• Is an i9 7900X @5,0 GHz a realistic and good choose on the Extreme or should i go for the Apex?
  • Is the overall temperature with the Extreme in a good range or will i burn down my whole house?
  • Is the 8+4-pin power header enough on the Extreme or do i need the 2x 8-pin header from the Apex for that?
  • Any other thoughts why the Apex is the better choice for me?

Thanks 🙂
9 REPLIES 9

jab383
Level 13
For any Skylake-x processor, the Extreme or Apex are good choices. Silicon Lottery rated my 7820X at 4.9GHz and I regularly get to 5.2GHz in benchmarks. I think a 7900X rated at 4.8GHz would possibly, but not guaranteed, have the headroom to work at 5.0GHz, but would need to use voltages well above the SL test points. Power and heat would rise proportionally and would require water cooling for sure. An approach is to set the operating voltage and speed for the temperature at peak load. You're sure not to burn down the house, but operating at 5.0GHz might happen at other than peak load or be backed off for hot AVX instructions.

From your interest in overclocking headroom and a pre-selected CPU, you might be interested in competitive overclocking. In that case, the APEX is needed for the power delivery of 2x8 headers and mostly for the higher potential memory speed. I think that large CPU would need more than water cooling in serious competition. Even with water cooling, the APEX as a better choice for all-out overclocking. There is only one benchmark that runs better on the extreme - XTU scores are higher with more ranks of DRAM. Dozens of other benchmarks will do better with the APEX.

With the use of monoblock water cooling, perhaps you are interested in great performance in gaming or productivity. A little overclocking goes a long way for those uses. With lesser levels of overclocking, the 8+4 power headers are plenty. The Extreme has more memory capacity and several other features a 24/7 PC would benefit from.

Thanks for your response 🙂

Well my interests are more in gaming and a bit productive than extreme overclocking. Overclocking will be nice for some benchmarks but not really needed.
By the way: I will use two 1080 Ti Kingpin and 64 GB of RAM (G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 DIMM CL14 Quad Kit).

So when i understand you correct it would be better to use the Extreme for my gamers needings and "daily" using then the OC features of the Apex i don't really need.
So it would be better to use a 7900X at a lower pre-tested clock? I want to get the maximum gaming power so my thoughts where to get some high clock CPU as well.
When 5,0 GHz on the Extreme could be a problem maybe a lower pre-tested CPU makes sense? (regardless of the price)

G75rog
Level 10
I'm running a stock 7900X here in my Apex at an easy 4.5ghz with 64gb of 3600 Gskill Trident-Z RAM.
The choice of MB was not how good it looked but what it could do.
The Apex can run 4 NVME SSD's in it's 2 Dimm cards and I wanted to transition to an all NVME machine.
Choosing the 7900X gave me all the pcie lanes I needed to fully utilize the Hyper X16 card with 4 Samsung 960 Pro 2 tb SSD's onboard.
My current configuration is one 960 Pro 1tb on the CPU Dimm for OS and the 4 2tb's on the Hyper, each with it's own dedicated x4 pcie lanes and each running 3400mb + read and 2200mb + write speeds. I still have room for 3 more NVME drives for a total of 8 possible in it's current config.
I first had the PCH Dimm card populated and finally decided to give all the NVME drives each 4 lanes of CPU to use for maximum bandwidth and moved them to the Hyper.
There are no Sata drives in the machine and it is one Zippy piece of kit.

JustinThyme
Level 13
NotSoFunnyClown wrote:
Hi,

i want to get an RVI Extreme or Apex. The Extreme looks a bit nicer than the Apex but the Apex does have better OC headroom as i read in many reviews.
The board will get an pre-selected and delidded i9 7900X @5,0 GHz and an EKWB monoblock with an 560mm radiator.

My question is:

• Is an i9 7900X @5,0 GHz a realistic and good choose on the Extreme or should i go for the Apex?
  • Is the overall temperature with the Extreme in a good range or will i burn down my whole house?
  • Is the 8+4-pin power header enough on the Extreme or do i need the 2x 8-pin header from the Apex for that?
  • Any other thoughts why the Apex is the better choice for me?

Thanks 🙂

This is a matter of choice. The APEX is geared more toward competitive overclocking. 5Ghz is doable on either board if your chip can really do 5GHz, few can without extreme cooling and wicked voltages. Im on an Extreme and 5GHz is not a limitation of the board as much as it is how well you can cool it. Ive run it at 5.1 a few times but its way too hot for water cooling, even a custom loop. Im running mine 24x7 at 4.8. It runs much cooler and not far off the mark from what I can get with the higher clocks so a happy medium.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

That helps me a lot 🙂

So the best choice would be the Extreme for me because of the better overall and daily performance. Competitive overclocking is not a real point I will focus on. 4.8 GHz seems to be a good sweetspot and if even 5.0 GHz is possible with an 560mm radiator, what seems to be possible without any problems (as long as the chip lottery God is mercyful xD) as I understand you right.

The Extreme seems to be my board of choice 😉

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Extreme everytime if not invested in competitive overclocking. Feature rich, and looks aesthetically awesome
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Thats what i think, too 🙂

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Just because some 7900Xs can do 5Ghz or even 4.8Ghz, doesn't mean yours will, theres no point aiming for a set speed with buying a new CPU as it could be lemon.

Brighttail
Level 11
The chances of you getting 5.0 without a delidded chip are pretty close to nil. I would start with that. Unless you are willing to do it yourself or buy a pre-binned delidded chip, the chances of you getting to 5.0 even with great watercooling is very, very unlikely. I bought my 7900 off the shelf and sent it to SL to get it delidded. I have gotten it to 5.0 but as Justin said, VERY VERY hot with voltages I'm not comfy with. I'm talking like 1.3 to 1.33v range. I can run many games at 5.0Ghz and keep temps low, but the voltage still needs to be 1.3+ to do it.

Also like Justin I'm running at 4.8 with 1.22v 24/7 and my temps idle are 24C and under max AVX load under 87C. If 5.0 is really your benchmark, buy a 4.9 from SL which will do it at 1.25v. Pushing it to 1.28-1.3 will get you booting at 5.0 no guarantee on a stable oc tho.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop