New ROGer Array

Keyboard/Mouse not working at login - Maximus X Hero wifi

Hi all

Just installed this new board with an i5-8600k. Can use mouse/keyboard in the bios though no joy at win7 login screen or in safe mode. Have set legacy usb though still does not work.

Really do not want to reinstall o/s if possible. Have done a lot of research and been through a lot of the troubleshooting already. It is in a Fractal Design Define R5 case. Tried the usb 2 headers and they also do not work.

Appreciate if anyone could provide some logical troubleshooting steps.

Regards
    Ron

Hello

If this is an operating system install from a different platform Win7 does not contain native USB drivers for Z370.

New ROGer Array

I took the ssd out of my old case and put it in a new case with new m/b. Still win7. Nothing changed there. Is there anyway to get the usb drivers installed via a boot disk or other method?

New ROGer Array

Did you get it working?

Did you ever get it figured out? I had 2 of the same mobos as you and both had the same issue you are having. I updated the BIOS, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, I tried different versions of windows, swapped HDDs, when I called Asus and told them all of that they asked me to RMA the board but i just returned it to amazon instead. I would recommend people stay away from these boards until the issue is resolved.

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcell View Post
    Did you ever get it figured out? I had 2 of the same mobos as you and both had the same issue you are having. I updated the BIOS, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, I tried different versions of windows, swapped HDDs, when I called Asus and told them all of that they asked me to RMA the board but i just returned it to amazon instead. I would recommend people stay away from these boards until the issue is resolved.
    The issue is not the boards. Its folks choosing to use an antiquated OS on hardware that was made long after drivers for Win7 stopped being produced and updated. Would you expect Win 3.1 or 95 to work? This is common across all manufacturers as Win7 does not nativly support USB 3.0 or USB 3.1. When Win 7 stopped sales this platform did not exist. We are talking about an OS that is nearly 9 years old and support with updates will completely cease very soon.

The OPs issue is multiplied by attempting to move an OS from one build to another and attempting to just resume with a major change in hardware. No release of windows will do that.

For those that insist several workarounds that inject USB 3.0 drivers into the install media. For the OP you will have to do a clean install.

Here is one such utility from intel amde for NUC but should work as its just injecting the USB 3.0 drivers. ASUS has a similar utility posted on several MOBO support pages.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...reator-Utility

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

To add to what Justin said
    This is why ASUS has a utility on the download page called ASUS_EzInstaller which slipstreams USB 3.0 drivers into your copy of Win 7 so you don't have this issue

Options are using PS2 mouse and keyboard if your motherboard has these or one of these or similar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	69754

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	69755

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    The issue is not the boards. Its folks choosing to use an antiquated OS on hardware that was made long after drivers for Win7 stopped being produced and updated. Would you expect Win 3.1 or 95 to work? This is common across all manufacturers as Win7 does not nativly support USB 3.0 or USB 3.1. When Win 7 stopped sales this platform did not exist. We are talking about an OS that is nearly 9 years old and support with updates will completely cease very soon.

The OPs issue is multiplied by attempting to move an OS from one build to another and attempting to just resume with a major change in hardware. No release of windows will do that.

For those that insist several workarounds that inject USB 3.0 drivers into the install media. For the OP you will have to do a clean install.

Here is one such utility from intel amde for NUC but should work as its just injecting the USB 3.0 drivers. ASUS has a similar utility posted on several MOBO support pages.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...reator-Utility
    It was the USB 2.0 that wouldn't work. I had to use the PS2 mode in the BIOS to use the mouse and keyboard. Forgive me if I choose not to upgrade to a Windows that snoops on you even more so than Win7 already does. I was just hoping to use this as a gaming PC and then install Tails on another hard drive. Btw, if this mobo won't work with WIn7 why wouldn't Asus just tell me that as we were doing the trouble shooting? Seems like that would be the first thing to mention if that was the case.

PS , I don't want to come off sounding rude so I apologize ahead of time if that's the case, that is not my intention. I appreciate any information I can get and thank you for your time that has been taken out of your day to skim this over.